New Planet Tech is KILLER of Exploration (all terrain is tiling/repeating/not procedural/random)

Questions should be addressed directly to Dr Ross.
The buck stops with Braben. His developers are only given so many resources and time to implement things. They do their best.

Its about money money money, and how to milk us for as much of it as they can. The remit was obviously; cut corners, drop ideas a b and c, skimp on this and that. And do it as quickly and cheaply as possible to release a minimum viable product. Ramp up the hype, get those pre-orders in, and bank the cash. Job done.

Too bad, I wanted to go out exploring with the news planetary tech in place once they iron ut the blurry textures, but if the planets are generated like that it sounds like waste of time :D
This is me...

I held off with my trip in Horizons because of Odyssey. I even purchased a set of sticks and VR for the next exploration trip.

Well, not if these are the planets I have to look forward to :(

10a7942837eca772987dba2f9536d944.gif
Well at least we can still laugh! :D It's that, or cry.

What I'm about to show you will be the final straw in cementing the new planetary tech system into a failure.

I remember Dr Kay Ross stating on stream that their procedural heightmap system made use of handmade terrain that would then be randomized across. I was worried when I heard this.

Check this out - I'll let the images speak for itself:

Gq7qNhg.png

6D2HQvV.jpg

Literally all terrain features both from high orbit to low orbit are repeating, hand crafted, and break every little bit hunger for exploration. There is absolutely no desire to go down and explore since all you're looking at is the "randomly" organized set of hand crafted height map bits the developers have made.

Horizons gives a REAL sense of wanting to go and explore. Find planets with unique features.

Planets in Odyssey are no longer unique. They are just reorganised sets of the same features.

These planets were designed with one goal: look acceptable from an on-foot perspective or when looking from a twilight perspective with a setting sun for the atmo effect.
Honestly throw the entire expansion out at this point. The graphics “improvements” are a straight downgrade even if they had optimizations, the UI is beyond a trainwreck, the on foot gameplay is boring and repetitive even to watch, the shining planetary update is now revealed to be fake, atmos feel plastered on and don’t change the flight model, and the expansion has hit horizons too.

Last edited:
I have never requested a Steam refund until five minutes ago.

I was willing to suffer through the tech and rendering issues, figuring they'd be smoothed over eventually. But as mainly an explorer, I find this game-breaking and unfixable. This tiling is clearly fundamental to Odyssey and is not something that can be patched over. Words cannot convey my disappointment.

500+ hours played on Horizons.

Too bad, I wanted to go out exploring with the news planetary tech in place once they iron ut the blurry textures, but if the planets are generated like that it sounds like waste of time :D

Same. I had a HUGE trip planned to try explore the new system and (hopefully) snag some amazing screenshots. Let's hope this is a bug in the tech, or a temporary measure to help deal with the performance issues and it will be fixed at some point.

Here is another example - one from the steam page pic another - random pic I found here on the forums...

There are clearly very similar pattern in the terrain. Anyone that did a lil bit of exploration can recognize this pattern.

But please tell me how great this new system is and how fdev did a swell of a job

Attachments

• ss_2655e9ae301d1045cf47786e345f17fcb74c1a72.1920x1080.jpg
    ss_2655e9ae301d1045cf47786e345f17fcb74c1a72.1920x1080.jpg
    918.9 KB · Views: 745
  • desert.jpg
    desert.jpg
    901.1 KB · Views: 759
Never have I wanted David Braben to respond to an issue more than this...

David, if you read this, can you give us your thoughts regarding this change in your procedural generation of the galaxy?
Are you comfortable with this?
Does it sit right with you?
yeah, i accepted his apology the other day, but i retract it because i hadn't seen this. Random planets were one of ELite's main draws, and it seems they are gone, making elite no different to any of the competition. I too want an answer directly for this issue.

Top Bottom