New Planet Tech is KILLER of Exploration (all terrain is tiling/repeating/not procedural/random)

It is what the stream was about too.
Well, perhaps a good time to harken back to June 4th, 2021.
Planetary geometry and lighting is a topic that we know is close to the hearts of many of our explorers, and is something we are looking carefully at. We will of course, continue to update you over the coming weeks as those investigations progress.

While we are expecting to see specific and targeted performance improvements in the upcoming June updates, we are also aware that development work for console will allow for even larger performance optimisations and enhancements for PC too. Therefore, we feel the best approach for all our Commanders will be to focus our development efforts after Update 5 on performance and the console release, and to bring our multi-platform community together once more, which will also allow us to bring even more global optimisation changes and updates to all Elite Dangerous Commanders.

Finally, we would also like to address the topic of communication. We are aware that many of you have been asking about greater communication, visibility and a change on how we share and update Elite Dangerous moving forward. While we do always try to give as clear a vision for the future as possible, such as Horizons or Beyond season roadmaps, we also must accept that this alone has not hit the mark. Our community have always been the beating heart of Elite Dangerous and we take the feedback very seriously. We are going to be working on new plans and initiatives that we can do to bring you even more in touch with our development progress. Starting with a monthly community update, we will highlight and share the progress that the development team have been making over that month. We will be sharing more details around this, and other initiatives, over the coming weeks.

Yep that covers it. No news, no updates, no progress on anything at all and nothing to announce.

I do wonder how FDev can justify having so many community managers when they have nothing to communicate!! they rarely post on the forums, I'd love to know what they actually do all day.

Good bye Elite and thanks for the memories.
Thanks for the update - you're a CMDR of your word (y)
Enjoy your next adventure.

I love that last paragraph. They'll not only provide as clear a future as possible, but they'll go even further! New plans! New initiatives! We'll be even more in touch with development!

Literal 100% silence for months.

Lol.

I love that last paragraph. They'll not only provide as clear a future as possible, but they'll go even further! New plans! New initiatives! We'll be even more in touch with development!

Literal 100% silence for months.

Lol.
As frustrating as it is, FDev did communicate development better like they said they would... for six months 🤷‍♂️
Thanks Zac and welcome back :)

We're now in the second week of April, with little idea of how the game is being developed in 2022 (past Update 11 and a cheeky nod towards Update 12). Please can you tell us why the Monthly Dev Update reports and Top 20 Issues reports haven't resumed (after they stopped late last year), and when you expect them to resume again?

With the devteam working on the live service game, isn't there interesting information to share about their progress on improvements, resolving issues, and bug fixes?

Cheers for the weekly posts and livestreams too (y)

As frustrating as it is, FDev did communicate development better like they said they would... for six months 🤷‍♂️
It wasn't as much the comment about communication, as that's beating the grave of a dead horse with FDev. However, both "Planetary geometry (...) update you over the coming weeks as those investigations progress" and "(...) to focus our development efforts after Update 5 on performance and the console release (...)" just have a different ring to them now as they did go completely silent on those topics until recently and ended up doing neither.

It wasn't as much the comment about communication, as that's beating the grave of a dead horse with FDev. However, both "Planetary geometry (...) update you over the coming weeks as those investigations progress" and "(...) to focus our development efforts after Update 5 on performance and the console release (...)" just have a different ring to them now as they did go completely silent on those topics until recently and ended up doing neither.
True, it's unfortunate when investigations and development efforts result in having to say no to things.

Would more communication during the interim been better? Definitely.

Would that more communication have alleviated the frustrations felt when the result was "no"? Unlikely.

Hm. I don't quit on games since they are games and not a relationship. Makes no sense for me. I can always just play later.
As far as games go, I really love Elite though. So, this is a disappointment because those patterns are more of an issue for me than anything else with Odyssey.
I notice though, that I don't really care. I don't play much these days, mostly because of real life stuff, but I keep a close look on the forum and any information regarding Elite.
The last few months they changed they communication model like, three times? Two months of silence inbetween.
There's no consistency and there seems to be no clear direction. None that has been communicated with us. And communication with players is part of a clear direction, because if you have one, you communicate it, wouldn't you? Especially when things were left in the dark for so long.

So, I don't know what to think. I don't even have an oppinion because I don't have enough information to form one. Elite sits somewhere on the side and if something pops up, something pops up. If not, well, no changes here. I once what enthusiastic about the game and I kinda hope I will be again, but at the moment, most things that excited me about it have been hit pretty hard, even planetary tech, which was my absolute highlight concerning Odyssey. Never needed space legs at all.

Yep that covers it. No news, no updates, no progress on anything at all and nothing to announce.

I do wonder how FDev can justify having so many community managers when they have nothing to communicate!! they rarely post on the forums, I'd love to know what they actually do all day.

Good bye Elite and thanks for the memories.
I suspect they're lending a hand to the Warhammer launch at the moment. I hope it sells reasonably well, Frontier don't need another lacklustre product on the books.

Top Bottom