New player experience: Tutorial "Harmless" combat is rage-quit difficult.

Hey OP,

Welcome to the game (not said ironically) and the forums!

I might be wrong, but suspect there’s going to be a bit of mix up going on.

When you say ‘Tutorial’ do you mean the actual tutorials, as in the ones you can do from the main menu and don’t have to enter the game for, or have you picked a mission within the main game? I’ve not had a play around in the PF district since the September update, so may have missed or forgotten something, but prior to that update there were certainly missions which were harmless ranked but which weren’t tutorial missions (and weren’t necessarily particularly suitable for a new starter).

Regardless, if you haven’t done them have a go at the Training section in the main menu. Do the basic combat one, have a stab at the advanced one (don’t worry if you can’t do it, word on the street is that most people struggle). Then have more of a go at the live game. When you’re familiar with the controls, and basic combat, then go back and have a go at the Challenge Scenarios.

Stick with it, the combat is one of the best parts of the game! It may seem challenging now, but it’s heavily dependent on developing your skill, knowledge and experience, and as you get better, you’ll continually be able to take on and beat bigger and harder challenges!

Good luck!
I suspect he's in the chain of missions in the permit-locked starter zone, as one of them early on is a combat mission. If this is the case, he should be upgrading his weapons a bit before heading off; I'm pretty sure that's suggested along the way.

Hello OP. This game is for tough guys who prefer to chew bees instead of drinking honey. Don`t give up, coz:

banana.jpg

FD should be listening to feedback like this for continuing improvement. There are a couple posts in this thread that share the same experiences. Unfortunately some posters just choose to dismiss their experiences. Sad.

Keyboard and Mouse is probably the hardest control method. Do get a joystick, it really does make the game a lot easier, and try again. If you like this kind of genre, ED is a good game and worth the effort.

I suspect he's in the chain of missions in the permit-locked starter zone, as one of them early on is a combat mission. If this is the case, he should be upgrading his weapons a bit before heading off; I'm pretty sure that's suggested along the way.
Probably this. When I started I found it almost impossible to take down anything in my Sidey, then I realized that the default weapons were useless and upgraded them.

The way to adjust the difficulty of combat is to build a better ship, this game is all about ship builds.

Deleted member 182079

D
FD should be listening to feedback like this for continuing improvement. There are a couple posts in this thread that share the same experiences. Unfortunately some posters just choose to dismiss their experiences. Sad.

Keyboard and Mouse is probably the hardest control method. Do get a joystick, it really does make the game a lot easier, and try again. If you like this kind of genre, ED is a good game and worth the effort.
They already did, as much of 2019 dev time was spent on improving the noob experience.

Although, quite frankly, I was a little underwhelmed by the new tutorial (using a docking computer is not how you learn how to undock/dock) but it's certainly better than nothing (which is more or less what I had, and didn't really feel the need to moan about it).

I'd like FDev to focus on new content/bugs now. If a player can't work out the basics of the game after a few attempts, despite all the added walking aids now in the game (and a vast array of videos/guides available at this stage), then it probably isn't for them anyways.

The game is a bit hard to get started, there's a steep learning curve. But you'll get there. Don't worry too much about combat at first. Your starting ship is crud. As an older fellow myself (68) with a bit of arthritis and slow reflexes, it took me quite a while to catch on. Once you build yourself an actual combat ship, things get a lot easier, too.

Hang in there. There will be lots of frustration and lots of success on your journey. It's totally worth it.

Welcome to the game!

I know they did, but like I said, "continuing improvement". This effort in 2019 doesn't have to be the last round of tutorial updates, especially updating as appropriate when there's new content. If new players are still finding it difficult to learn the game then maybe FD should refine the tutorial section more. I'm all for new content, and ED is definitely much better off for having in-game tutorial.

They already did, as much of 2019 dev time was spent on improving the noob experience.

Although, quite frankly, I was a little underwhelmed by the new tutorial (using a docking computer is not how you learn how to undock/dock) but it's certainly better than nothing (which is more or less what I had, and didn't really feel the need to moan about it).

I'd like FDev to focus on new content/bugs now. If a player can't work out the basics of the game after a few attempts, despite all the added walking aids now in the game (and a vast array of videos/guides available at this stage), then it probably isn't for them anyways.

Oh my god, not me. I was very, very bad for a very long time. :) I'm still learning after about 18 months.

...and today I'm your average combat/AX pilot. Nothing special.

Though, I agree completely about the controller set up. It's like someone who plays the game set it up. I've added only one binding (Zero Speed added to Y+RB).
Yeah the only binding I added was Zero Speed, but I did RB+LB, and maybe bound chaff and SCBs.

Those default bindings are excellent. New players can pick up basic flight control very easily on a controller. I've been playing on PC for months and still haven't wanted to learn keyboard controls.

It took me over two weeks to get past the training. I never played a flight sim before ED. Keep with it. :)

o7
"flight sim" ha!

I knew I'd been playing ED exclusively for way too long when I just got IL Sturmovik and fired it up this past weekend. Got all my keys bound and jumped into the game and found myself stalling out, blacking out and nearly disintegrating my poor starter Yak trying to maneuver in a dogfight lol. I was like "WHERE ARE MY VERTICAL FU***** THRUSTERS!!"

Hey I gotta say this might be the most pathetic response I've seen. A new player is struggling with something and you're... gloating? Why did you even post this? Did you sit there thinking "this is a good idea, so many people are going to think I'm so cool!"

Hey but let's get back to the topic at hand. This new player strangely uses the term "high wake", which I wouldn't think a brand new player struggling with a tutorial would be familiar with. Curious.

Otherwise, mostly fine advice has been dispensed in this thread. Excepting quoted above, of course.

Troll post/account or not. The viewers here should take one thing and one thing only from my response: git gud. Like really. This game has already lowered the challenge level of NPCs because too many found it too difficult and couldn't stand losing. The origin of this is to be assumed and without proper scientific analysis (which simply is overkill for our purpose) we won't get a properly supported statement. The assumption, however, is that certain individuals are mnetally unable to deal with loss, failure or otherwise negative events that are only related to their own actions.
Or in other words: Some are unskilled and can't deal with it. And for this group of players, this community simply doesn't need to feel responsible for. Hence my response. It's basically an appeal to not go to the forums and demand free dopamine but instead refine their own skills and deserve it.
Elite is an advanced game and even though the AI is already relatively easy compared to most other game AIs, the challenge level comes from the actual mechanics of the game itself, not the AI. So demanding that the AI should be having an even lower level of difficulty on the already lowest level, which is harmless, is not only a pathetic demand (similar pathetic to the degree you find my response pathetic) but also a logical irrational demand since it's not the origin of the faced obstacle.
The origin can be found in the core mechanics of the game, in this case it's the piloting of the ship. And by the way, I believe I have hinted that indirectly in my post as well but refused to put it in a nice xmas present paper.

Since this is a forum and people with similar problems might google it and stumble upon this, I hope that the only real advice players can give here is that any player in question having issues with harmless NPCs should better go back to flight school. Because reducing the challenge level of NPCs is anything but a harmless move that can be done.

My experience starting out may be a little different than others. I have had the game since before Horizons was released but never really got to "play" it. I live in the sticks so internet was limited to a dish or buy data packages so naturally I did no online gaming at all. Other than Everquest, ED was kinda my first foray into online/MMO gaming. I did however play the darn tutorials over and over and over again. I finally got DSL in my area about 2 years ago and I remember hitting that "Open" play button the first time... I was scared to death of what would happen just by reading stuff here. Turns out, not bad but I did play the tutorials over a zillion times before and that helped me jump right in.

My advice to the OP and any other rookies that may read this and are just starting..be patient and like many others have said, tutorials are your friend indeed. If you are out in the starter systems doing jobs make sure your boat is upgraded to handle it as well. When you do decide to jump out of that protected area you start in be ready, it is a very dangerous galaxy out here. I remember leaving the starter system and as soon as I hit supercruise I was interdicted (which at the time had no idea what was happening) and blowed up real good and back at the starter base before I knew what hit me several times lol. Needless to say I went to solo mode for a while at first, there's nothing wrong with that at all.

o7

Troll post/account or not. The viewers here should take one thing and one thing only from my response: git gud. Like really. This game has already lowered the challenge level of NPCs because too many found it too difficult and couldn't stand losing. The origin of this is to be assumed and without proper scientific analysis (which simply is overkill for our purpose) we won't get a properly supported statement. The assumption, however, is that certain individuals are mnetally unable to deal with loss, failure or otherwise negative events that are only related to their own actions.
Or in other words: Some are unskilled and can't deal with it. And for this group of players, this community simply doesn't need to feel responsible for. Hence my response. It's basically an appeal to not go to the forums and demand free dopamine but instead refine their own skills and deserve it.
Elite is an advanced game and even though the AI is already relatively easy compared to most other game AIs, the challenge level comes from the actual mechanics of the game itself, not the AI. So demanding that the AI should be having an even lower level of difficulty on the already lowest level, which is harmless, is not only a pathetic demand (similar pathetic to the degree you find my response pathetic) but also a logical irrational demand since it's not the origin of the faced obstacle.
The origin can be found in the core mechanics of the game, in this case it's the piloting of the ship. And by the way, I believe I have hinted that indirectly in my post as well but refused to put it in a nice xmas present paper.

Since this is a forum and people with similar problems might google it and stumble upon this, I hope that the only real advice players can give here is that any player in question having issues with harmless NPCs should better go back to flight school. Because reducing the challenge level of NPCs is anything but a harmless move that can be done.
Wow, I'd like to be there when you teach your kids how to tie their shoelaces.

Bah kids these days have it so easy, what with their super cruise assist, docking computers, their own fenced off playground and fancy new tutorials.
Back in my day we were given a used Cessna 170 with a cracked windshield and a pellet gun for protection. We'd leave Baker's Prospect and be interdicted and blowed up 42 times before ever leaving the Asellus system.

j/k OP, hang in there and be patient we've all been there
pretty soon they'll be crying about not having space legs to EVA and chase high waking Cmdr ships next----oh wait...... :ROFLMAO:

New player here (PC, keyboard/mouse) and I gotta say the "Harmless" combat tutorial missions in the newbie Pilot's Federation District are so frustratingly difficult they make me want to just give up this game and move on.

There is so much for a new player to learn already, shouldn't the first experience of combat be rewarding and enticing instead of rage-quit inducing?

At the very least, Harmless opponents should NOT have their shields come back online after a few seconds... Talk about kicking a new player in the teeth, over and over and over.
And after 45 minutes of trying to stay on this peon's tail chipping away hull armor 1% at a time, just when it seems I might actually get him, he just high-wake frameshifts out.

Does Frontier even want new players? Great way to drive them away...

Having coached people through these and done them myself on another account I have to say they are quite reflective of the game difficulty overall. Elite has a bloody steep learning curve maybe the highest I've seen in modern gaming. I'm lucky I had played Frontier Elite II and First Encounters so I kind of understand the mechanics and knew what to expect. May advice don't give up there's a great galaxy out there to explore.

The tutorial ship is pretty basic... bigger or more expensive ship in Elite doesn't always win due to skill it's a pretty soft and lightweight ship you're flying in those missions and if I remember rightly the weapons don't lock on they aren't gimballed... once in the main game you'll get a hold host of easier weapons to use.

I'd say I have a 3 out of 5 friend ratio in terms of people you stick with Elite.

My advice stick at it... combat, docking and mining are typically the 3 things I see people get wound up with the most.

Combat essentially ends up going two ways due to player base and mechanics:

1, Either you become an expert pilot who can take on any type of NPC in any ship, your understand the mechanics and can PvP
OR
2. You just end up buying tanky ships face tanking damage and jousting without any real skill... mostly you rely on shields and shield cells.

With regards to take offs and landing once you've done this two or three times it's second nature and the same for mining once you've done an hour or two it's second nature.

Good luck CMDR - Mostly the Elite community is helpful and friendly... I'd advise Reddit over Facebook and Facebook over Forums :-D

You know, Saitek (or what ever the current parent company of the x52/pro) could have a cross promo with Frontier. Buy those HOTASes, and get a nicely discounted copy of Elite Dangerous with Horizons. The control stick on all of our ships is basically modeled after the x52 anyway. A perfect match! :)

I have the x52 pro for about 3 years strong now and love it, in fact I have a second brand new unopened backup incase mine dies.

Though the asking price for that HOTAS alone might be a barrier of acquisition...

Meh

ED isn't for everybody

There's a lot to do that isn't combat related

The first thing any new player should do is learn how to run and survive

Deleted member 182079

D
I know they did, but like I said, "continuing improvement". This effort in 2019 doesn't have to be the last round of tutorial updates, especially updating as appropriate when there's new content. If new players are still finding it difficult to learn the game then maybe FD should refine the tutorial section more. I'm all for new content, and ED is definitely much better off for having in-game tutorial.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the problem is FDev seem to struggle handling several things at once (or so it appears at least - take the recent decision to delay FC in favour of bug fixing as an example), so if it's a one-over-the-other case, I know what I prefer, and I do realise that others might see this differently.

I think what would go a long way is making the whole area of keybinds simpler - even if it's just a quick description of what each does, and maybe simplify the groupings. Even as a 4 year 'vet' I struggle at times to find a specific setting, and still wonder what certain options are actually for. I find that area to be the worst for a new player to overcome imo.

Everything else? Learning on the job is the best training, especially now that credits are much easier to come by. But I think a sizeable chunk of new players expect a lot of handholding (industry standard now), the relative lack of that in Elite is what I still find pretty neat - don't know what A or B does, or what happens if you perform X? Try it, and you'll know! For everything else, there's the web browser.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom