News New Player Minor Faction System

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hi, I filled out the form to submit my player group a week ago. How am I meant to know when it's registered and I can go ahead with the player faction? Do I get an email? Also, about how long should I expect to be waiting?
Thanks!

I've submitted a request today. I've read somewhere that it takes up to 72 hours for application to be reviewed, but from what I've read here, doesn't make me very optmistic.

The faction limit is 8. Most systems have at most 7, making way for pmfs
When was the faction limit been raised from 7 to 8?\

As far as I know, around 2017 the "7 factions limit" was placed. When we applied for our PMF, we couldn't choose a system with 7 factions.

Back then, systems with 8 or 9 factions were remnant of BGS expansions prior to the "7 factions limit".

When was the faction limit been raised from 7 to 8?\

As far as I know, around 2017 the "7 factions limit" was placed. When we applied for our PMF, we couldn't choose a system with 7 factions.

Back then, systems with 8 or 9 factions were remnant of BGS expansions prior to the "7 factions limit".
I don't know, but I think I saw it on one of the forms as I was signing up. I haven't been playing for too long, so I don't know about any changes.
@Will Flanagan - has the "7 factions limit" been lifted?

I ask that because this week I noticed a new PMF was created, back in april, in a system which had 7 factions. So today there are 8 factions there.
And looking at this, it seems pretty likely.

Perhaps they changed the limit strictly for PMF creation.

If you start to expand from a system but the first 8 closest systems already have 7 factions, and the 9th system has at most 6 factions, you will expand to the 9th system.... because of the 7 factions limit.

Before applying for a player minor faction, please ensure you’ve notified us of your Player Group
By "player group" are they referring to the name of the squadron? Because if so I may have goofed up the first half of the process.

By "player group" are they referring to the name of the squadron? Because if so I may have goofed up the first half of the process.
'Player Group' is just the name that you and your friends go by, lets say you call yourselves 'The Cool Games Group'. Once you've registered your group with Frontier you can apply to add a new faction to the game, for example you may want to add "The Guardians of Discovery" faction to the LHS 99945 system. In-game Squadron names are not related to either of those and Squadrons can be created and disbanded whenever you want.

And I still haven't got an official answer :(
Player factions can definitely be added to systems that contain 7 NPC factions, I've seen it happen multiple times recently. Presumably it avoids them having to reject applications all the time because systems are full up.
It incidentally prevents players from filling all the systems around 'their' already added faction with NPC factions to prevent other player factions being added nearby.

PMF's and squadrons that have no activity after a certain time should be purged, leaving the base open for someone else. Leave it to the NPC's.

It incidentally prevents players from filling all the systems around 'their' already added faction with NPC factions to prevent other player factions being added nearby.
Strictly it only makes it more difficult - they could use invasions to fill the systems up to 8 - but if they've got the time and resources to do that they can just crush any nearby PMFs anyway.

PMF's and squadrons that have no activity after a certain time should be purged, leaving the base open for someone else. Leave it to the NPC's.
Squadrons with no activity aren't doing any harm. Maybe if we get close to 1 million total squadrons founded, so most of the four-character codes are taken?

PMFs with no activity are basically impossible to detect - I have a few near me that I'm pretty sure aren't supported any more by any of their original backers, but they still get a bit of influence here and there from passing traffic. Enough that it's definitely non-zero over the course of, say, a week. You can't possibly automatically - and reliably! - tell the difference between that, and a player group that's not got any particular territorial expansion ambitions.

I've hear this empty arguments a lot of time on this board, and this is why this game became a desert.
Rare "normal players" come on a solo game board. And when they come here (it mean, they're invested players) they have "It's not for you, wrong game, go away, we want a game not a game, we want RP on the head and no gameplay".

Well, listen to me dude, NOW people like me are on the Frontier way, because due to your "empty" way, the number of active players are going down.

Now they want factions, new PVP ( with Factional Warfare on open world) and ALL the logic features that people like me want for years.
I hope it's not too late, and people will try again Elite AFTER the updated, else, this game will die due to NO ACTIVE PLAYERS. Due to people like you.

LOL. "No active players". I'm homed in the Colonia region. I see plenty of active players even out there. In fact, more have been migrating to Colonia. My own faction, The Silverbacks, has been actively managing our piece to the BGS and expansion to surrounding systems. Very actively. We have struck partnerships with other factions for mutual benefit. This is anything but static. Personally, I don't see what building a base gets you in terms of game play. I'm even dubious over the real value of carriers, unless the managing of their movement makes sense and they can be destroyed like any other ships. In fact, if they are going get that 'real' about it, stations should be able to be attacked, too (given that Thargoids can do it).

So far a PMF works exactly like a (NPC) Minor Faction.

That said, the only thing you can "manage" is its influence, by means of missions/bounty vouchers/combat bonds/cartography data, etc

Yes, but because you can affect the influence, you can trigger second and third order effects which you can take advantage of (mission types and payoffs, CZs--which give opportunities for buffing your combat ranking, potentially creating compromised nav beacons -- again, combat ranking opportunities, system status that can generate more or better High Grade Emissions, etc). So, where the NPC influences seem more random, the PMF approach can be much more active and intentional.

Is this still a thing? Seriously. I'd like to set up a group in Colonia.

Which brings me to my question. What's required to expanding a PMF that exists in the core systems out into Colonia? Or ANYwhere in the galaxy, for that matter? There are plenty of systems between the Bubble and Colonia that a given PMF might want to expand to. Our faction is homed in Arexe, but a few of us have migrated out to Colonia (I've been there for over three years). I would love to establish a remote presence for our faction out here.

Which brings me to my question. What's required to expanding a PMF that exists in the core systems out into Colonia? Or ANYwhere in the galaxy, for that matter? There are plenty of systems between the Bubble and Colonia that a given PMF might want to expand to. Our faction is homed in Arexe, but a few of us have migrated out to Colonia (I've been there for over three years). I would love to establish a remote presence for our faction out here.
At the moment? You can't - the Colonia Expansion Initiative closed 2 years ago, and there has been no way to add a PMF out here since. The original CEI probably closed at the right time - pretty much everyone who wanted a place and was prepared to take the competition seriously had got one - but it's gone far too long without a replacement.

I suggested one possible way in which PMFs could compete - with sufficient effort - for a new place in the region here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/colonia-expansion-initiative-ii.517894/ but I don't actually care about the mechanism for it, so long as it both allows new immigrants and development by existing factions, and is focused around doing things in and for Colonia. Just please let us do something to develop the region, Frontier!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom