New red-orange dot approaching the bubble at 0.8ly per minute-- Thargoid mothership?

Can you destroy all the caustic generators in a maelstrom? Could we get enough commanders in an instance to try?

If my calculations are correct, the volume of the maelstrom (radius about 100km?) is about:
4,188,790,200,000,000 m^3

How far apart are those generators generally placed?

Edit:
Ok so it’s quite a bit smaller as the radius is 70-80km I’m told.

Last edited:
So I had to have a look myself and see how close I could get. My carrier is parked about 19ly from HIP 20567 and so I set my Cobra up to make a direct run at Indra. After multiple hyperdictions and interdictions I made it to 20567 only to be interdicted 5 times on my SC to it. I had never had an interdiction by a Thargoid until today, it was always hyperdictions so not sure if this is new.

Here we go..

Screenshot-0687.png

Screenshot-0688.png

Last thing I saw before my reinforced hull melted away..

Screenshot-0690.png

Cmdrs, we're gonna need some bigger guns and anti-corrosion armor ASAFP.

Interesting changes on the war side of things:
- the timers on system takeovers seem to have been reset to 6-8 weeks and don't obviously depend on the number of remaining stations (but maybe there's something with station types?). All timers now seem aligned to Thursdays, which makes sense.
- Taranis has gained 8 "Alert" systems a little further out which have a 1 week timer before they turn into takeover attempts. That's going to be pretty fast expansion if all eight do that every week (though, still >5 years to wipe out the bubble, and some of the alert systems are unpopulated ones which might be considered lower priority until we find out we shouldn't have done that)
- the three Maelstroms are numbered in the interface; the numbering doesn't reflect any numbering scheme related to their Stargoids, and Taranis which was Maelstrom 1 when it was the only one is now Maelstrom 3...

The numbers don't match for the overall state and the Maelstrom individual counts, and I'm not sure how either corresponds to the map:
Overall: 8 Alert, 25 Invasion, 50 Controlled, 3 Maelstrom - total 86

Left panel, per Maelstrom
Maelstrom 1: 16 (Leigong)
Maelstrom 2: 36 (Indra)
Maelstrom 3: 29 (Taranis)
Total: 81

Right panel, per Maelstrom
Maelstrom 1: invaded 5, controlled 11
Maelstrom 2: invaded 11, controlled 25
Maelstrom 3: invaded 9, controlled 20
Total: 81

Map, per Maelstrom
Maelstrom 1: 5 orange, 5 green, 1 red
Maelstrom 2: 11 orange, 23? green, 1 red
Maelstrom 3: 8 yellow, 9 orange, 20? green, 1 red
Total: 84, but I could easily have miscounted a couple of green ones around 2 and 3.

I'm sure it'll get sorted out eventually.

I suppose wrapping your ship in thargoid guts isn't a viable way to become resistant to the corrosive gas. Since i would expect that would have been like the 1st option tested.

And i suppose someone going in just spamming beams to overheat themselves to burn off the corrosion constantly doesn't end up living much longer than not.

If corrosion is susceptible to heat as we have seen in the game up until now. i'm not sure why the super powers haven't neutralized the corrosive fog around these ships by now. There are literally tons of ways to produce enough heat in a 100km radius for a motivated advanced civilization to raise the temp higher than what we can do in our ships to effectively neutralize the corrosion.

(edit: radius not volume)

Last edited:
I suppose wrapping your ship in thargoid guts isn't a viable way to become resistant to the corrosive gas. Since i would expect that would have been like the 1st option tested.

And i suppose someone going in just spamming beams to overheat themselves to burn off the corrosion constantly doesn't end up living much longer than not.

If corrosion is susceptible to heat as we have seen in the game up until now. i'm not sure why the super powers haven't neutralized the corrosive fog around these ships by now. There are literally tons of ways to produce enough heat in a 100km radius for a motivated advanced civilization to raise the temp higher than what we can do in our ships to effectively neutralize the corrosion.

...like tow a small star in there with my ship? :)

Let's lob a couple of nuclear weapons in there to warm things up a bit. Or have we forgotten about these devices by 3308?
(Maybe drizzle them with some mycoid for a little extra anti-xeno pop?)

Seriously, it should take humanity in 3308 about one day to figure out the makeup of the maelstroms. Telescopes have been doing that from great distances since about the 20th Century! Point & shoot!

Looks like that interceptor is flying straight to the four-armed thing. Interesting.
Yea it was pointed out in another thread too, the Interceptor approaches the starmine and seems to charge it up. By the time I was that close my shields were long gone and hull was down to single digits. I figured it would be a one way ticket to begin with hence the Cobra :D Gonna try again here in a bit, t'was quite fun.
I need to go get some MA hull reinforcements too I'm guessing, I don't have any tanks with this Cmdr.

...like tow a small star in there with my ship? :)

Let's lob a couple of nuclear weapons in there to warm things up a bit. Or have we forgotten about these devices by 3308?
(Maybe drizzle them with some mycoid for a little extra anti-xeno pop?)

Seriously, it should take humanity in 3308 about one day to figure out the makeup of the maelstroms. Telescopes have been doing that from great distances since about the 20th Century! Point & shoot!
Considering that we have nukes today that would vaporize matter within like 40 miles (80km) on the surface ...lets assume a nuke in space would not concentrate its energy in just a semi-sphere ...it should be trivial to burn out the corrosion with heat generated from a 34th century fusion type device.

Guess that's too simplistic a solution and we should ignore it existing in the game.

anyways, i wouldn't want to brainstorm and problem solve much. The goal here is to destroy the bubble and create new gameplay by eliminating the source of why so much of your activity in the game doesn't matter (where you trade/mine, what you trade/mine, which factions you kill or back, and where you're traveling).

Non-Human Signal Source (threat 4) seem to have a very low chance to spawn in the alert systems and have a new "friend" to play with.

(For anyone jumping around between the alert systems looking for them, I highly suggest winging up with someone so the hyperdictions are avoided. They start to get really tiresome when they happen on nearly every jump.)

Last edited:
the corrosive mechanical devices and those thorns are weird. easy to blow up and collect materials
and the other goids come and baby them if it doesn't die.. 1 just curled up. now a goid sits and watches it....
and all they seem to do is shoot their corrosives at me, also very easy to roll and avoid
just using a krait atm with 2 5d MA hull modules and using hammers to blow stuff up.

also odd is the not going to call them interceptors even though they are....baby sitters, not even interested in me at all.
if this was meant to be peaceful(heh) they shouldn't have put those corrosive thorns everywhere...

Probably because it's a game.. :)

Yes, the Orthrus. You can find them at NHSS4. Worth 50M. Can emit anti-guardian EMP and can call for reinforcements.
Basically its jumping into the POI, scan the probe for ~15 secs, then leaves, without any combat. There is a caustic trail behind, where its moving, so be careful.

Yes, the Orthrus. You can find them at NHSS4. Worth 50M. Can emit anti-guardian EMP and can call for reinforcements.
Basically its jumping into the POI, scan the probe for ~15 secs, then leaves, without any combat. There is a caustic trail behind, where its moving, so be careful.
50M? That tops a hydra... why so much?

Top Bottom