News New stream series: Frontier Xtra

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Question 1: What has changed in your working culture since you've joined the community team at FEDV?
Question 2: What is your most and least favourite of Frontier games and why?

Sorry Alec, I didn't see your question until now!! Apologies.

Yes, the stream will feature three sections (one per game) based on community content, active forum threads, Bug Reports we want to call out in terms of fixing, and general questions we can answer about the current state of the games. The last section is then dedicated to the Question of the Month, which is a community question about the gaming industry or Frontier teams.

We were actually really excited to share this news with you; it's a community team initiative we wanted to bring for a long time now, as a way to bridge the gap between gameplay streams and podcasts, and to give viewers and players alike a chance to ask us questions they normally wouldn't get the chance to. The post wasn't meant to overhype that stream at all, but again, we are genuinely excited to be starting new livestream series.
It's only the first episode, and we are 100% open to feedback from those watching about the format or content of the show. But let's give it a chance first :).

For those asking, it'll be multicast to both Twitch and YouTube, so you can watch the VOD afterwards if you can't make it.

Very clear post there Bo, thank you! Looking forward to seeing the streams. :)

I was hoping for news about the way ahead in Elite Dangerous and less about what your community is doing with FD games in general, which I have very little interest in.

Where are FD going with Elite dangerous, when are you going to tell us?

Thanks.

The point of the Question of the Month is more about the industry, or us or the team(s)! It's a bit more podcast-y, or was intended to be. Each game will also have a dedicated section during which we try to answer the game-specific questions, but correct, it's not a newscast, and there won't be any new feature/roadmap reveals for any of the games.

Thank you for the responses it is much appreciated. Not just mine but a few others who you addressed also. If the podcast is as up front as you Bo then there is hope in space after all.

While this won't make question of the day thing and as I may have to watch it after, is it possible to have them discuss the current state of Community Goals on Elite. This being a community podcast and all.

Best of luck on this podcast and again thanx for the response.
Caliber

Question: What are some of the challenges that you perceive/expect/guess to be encountered in the development towards the future/eventual version(s) of Elite?

e.g. variable gravity, cloud and weather formations, ice/tundra/jungle/forest variation within a single planet (fauna and flora), procedural generation of settlements/towns/cities, variety of buildings according to wealth, variety of buildings according to economy, variety of buildings showing a settlement that was settled when a system was Federation but was Imperial during later population increase etc, Variety of roads (I assume the Empire drives on the left with traffic islands, the Federation on the right with intersections), Variety of ground transport, Air traffic control, Air defence, Orbital defence etc etc.

Hello there,

We understand that you're all eager to hear about what we have in store 2019, however, in this particular episode, we won't be making any major announcements, which are primarily done through our usual channels. We have an awesome community, and this stream is an opportunity to share and celebrate what the communities (across all of our games) have been up to!

Which to some extent, you're kind of doing all the time. Zero interest to me.

The point of the Question of the Month is more about the industry, or us or the team(s)! It's a bit more podcast-y, or was intended to be. Each game will also have a dedicated section during which we try to answer the game-specific questions, but correct, it's not a newscast, and there won't be any new feature/roadmap reveals for any of the games.

Who's it for again?

Thanks Bo, really appreciate the response and sorry to rain on the parade here slightly - I just think the initial message was unclear (as evidenced by everyone immediately asking for news about what's coming soon). OK cool, now I know what to expect my expectations have been set appropriately and I'm looking forward to the stream. Hope it goes well!

I totally agree with you, so thank you very much.

I think the streams are going to be interesting, and I'll follow them, even if they are not going to be, about real news of the games.

So please Frontier CMs, edit the first post and add the later clarification, to avoid further problems. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Will gaming developers ever realize that in the long run, transparency and honesty are in their best interest?

Although I appreciate any communicative gesture, more talking about nothing and circuitous conversation are experiences that I vehemently choose to forego.

With the rapidity that information is currently disseminated, I believe that more people will better learn and realize as to what may be information of substance. I also believe that we who play and love Elite Dangerous are more sensitive than most to meaninglessness.

Wishing you the best and appreciative of your efforts, regardless.

o7

Last edited:
(as evidenced by everyone immediately asking for news about what's coming soon).
To be fair though everyone would have asked about news of what's coming or the usual "WHEN WILL I GET MY-<insert persons="" desired="" game="" feature=""> insert persons desired game feature-" even if they had announced that they were going to stream specifically about the migratory birds viewable from the Frontier office windows :D</insert>

Last edited:
Greetings, Commanders!

We're excited to announce a new monthly stream called Frontier Xtra, in which your Community Managers will take you through the latest news for our Frontier games and communities. We will talk about active discussions within the community, the best creations or screenshots of the month, fun moments we've encountered, and more.

We will be doing these streams every last Friday of the month, with the first one being on 22 February at 15:00 UTC. Please come and join us over on our Twitch channel - we'd love to have you in the chat!

While a large chunk of the time will be focused on discussing our games, there's plenty of room to let your voice be heard too! We'll be dedicating some time to any questions you might have about the Frontier games you play, so please pop them on the thread below.

Additionally, we are introducing the Question of the Month: what do you want to know about the gaming industry, Frontier itself, or the Community Managers/Developers? This section will be dedicated to discussing a question from you, as long as it's relevant to the gaming industry. Please put your thoughts down below, and we will pick this month's favourite to discuss.

Hope to see you there!

can we please please please have small seismic charges in the game ;)

oh and a medium Saud kruger ship

heres your inspiration;

9WfznCO.png

GO!

To be fair though everyone would have asked about news of what's coming or the usual "WHEN WILL I GET MY-<insert persons="" desired="" game="" feature=""> insert persons desired game feature-" even if they had announced that they were going to stream specifically about the migratory birds viewable from the Frontier office windows :D</insert>

Some of us have already paid for the extra content for which no news has been forthcoming for several years now. I think it's perfectly reasonable to chase this up at every opportunity after this long, and a poor show on FDev's part for not addressing it even after it was acknowledged in August.

In addition the 3.3 update appears to be objectively the most disruptive update to players so far, with both questionable design decisions and their implementation. Asking players for yet more bug reports and to start threads in the suggestions section both come across as fobbing off issues which in many cases are common and easily identified by just playing the game with the internal knowledge of how it is supposed to work (which the players do not necessarily know).

The BGS issues are as good an example as any, FDev would receive considerably more focused feedback if the actual design intent is stated. Much the same can be said with my earlier questions in this thread regarding the LEP, the removal of the ADS and the open-ended situation with the CIV on the PS4 platform.

The questions are justified, the lack of answers after so long are not. And so they are asked again & again with varying degrees of patience & politeness by varyingly polite and patient customers that paid for a service that is still frustratingly flawed and incomplete.

I want to know what's going on with the game, what the Devs are doing and why it is taking as long as it is. I want to be able to see that there is an intention to add to the game like there is an actual plan and a big picture being filled in rather than replacing stuff that worked with stuff that doesn't and adding features seemingly on a whim.

I don't expect all of this from one livestream but I do hope for some of it in every communication from FDev, and I certainly hope FDev understands that as a direct-to-customer company now, there is a need for communication to be at all levels, not just the fun stuff like screenshots and banter.

Last edited:
Some of us have already paid for extra content for which no news has been forthcoming for several years now. I think it's perfectly reasonable to chase this up at every opportunity after this long, and a poor show on FDev's part for not addressing it even after it was acknowledged in August.

In addition the 3.3 update appears to be objectively the most disruptive update to players so far, with both questionable design decisions and their implementation. Asking players for yet more bug reports and to start threads in the suggestions section both come across as fobbing off issues which in many cases are common and easily identified by just playing the game with the internal knowledge of how it is supposed to work (which the players do not necessarily know).

The BGS issues are as good an example as any, FDev would receive considerably more focused feedback if the actual design intent is stated. Much the same can be said with my earlier questions in this thread regarding the LEP, the removal of the ADS and the open-ended situation with the CIV on the PS4 platform.

The questions are justified, the lack of answers after so long are not. And so they are asked again & again with varying degrees of patience & politeness by varyingly polite and patient customers that paid for a service that is still frustratingly flawed and incomplete.

I want to know what's going on with the game, what the Devs are doing and why it is taking as long as it is. I want to be able to see that there is an intention to add to the game like there is an actual plan and a big picture being filled in rather than replacing stuff that worked with stuff that doesn't and adding features seemingly on a whim.

I don't expect all of this from one livestream but I do hope for some of it in every communication from FDev, and I certainly hope FDev understands that as a direct-to-customer company now, there is a need for communication to be at all levels, not just the fun stuff like screenshots and banter.

But as this stream is for news/talk about Frontier Developments and all the games it is dealing with it is unlikely that such a level of detail and focus is going to be applied to this game in every stream or possibly even every seventh stream though that last would be nice.

Question suggestions.

1 What is the question you are most fed up with being asked?
2 Which question do you really wish people would ask and what is the answer?

Last edited:
Well that was a great stream thanks guys! If you had just these and discovery scanner to pad out between announcements I would be very happy! Great job!

Top Bottom