Abandoned New Trading Tool: ETN

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
The website shows a lot of love and passion (for ED). Rep +1. Visually stunning.

I've added it to my "third party tools" thread and to ED3PTT (see OP thread). I will also post about it in the EDDN thread.
Hopefully that way it gets the exposure it truly deserves. Brilliant job.

Last edited:
well, first trade route I found using this new tool was a bust...

Was supposed to be a trade from CF-464 Prog cells to Quivira for a 1.075 million CR profit. I get there and Quivira isn't buying prog cells for what your trade tool said they were buying them for. So i double check with Thrudds trading tool and sure enough. The buying price was well below what your tool showed.

So instead of making 1 million in profit i made 160k. I'll give another route a try but this needs some work i think.

Very cool. I'll check it out in depth later. How do you decided what the "optimized" ship loadout is? :)

For the optimized loadouts I just maximized the cargo. In some cases I downgraded to a smaller shield. In one case (Sidewinder) I removed the shield altogether since the ship is free to replace.

It you choose "custom" layout, click "Import from E:D Shipyard" and then follow the E:D Shipyard link it will show you the optimized loadout I use for your currently selected ship.

Thank you Joe!
That looks really great! Please keep on supporting the site:)

It uses "realtime" EDDN data?

Yes when you export trade data from a tool like EliteOCR or Regulated Noise you can broadcast to EDDN. It should be available to ETN within a few minutes. At the bottom of the help screen it shows you the time of the most recent EDDN import.

well, first trade route I found using this new tool was a bust...

Was supposed to be a trade from CF-464 Prog cells to Quivira for a 1.075 million CR profit. I get there and Quivira isn't buying prog cells for what your trade tool said they were buying them for. So i double check with Thrudds trading tool and sure enough. The buying price was well below what your tool showed.

So instead of making 1 million in profit i made 160k. I'll give another route a try but this needs some work i think.

I've seen some bogus data for Narcotics being broadcast on EDDN. The same could be true for Progenitor Cells. Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it. In the meantime I suggest you remove Progenitor Cells from your search. I'll take it out of the default search criteria.

- - - Updated - - -

The website shows a lot of love and passion (for ED). Rep +1. Visually stunning.

I've added it to my "third party tools" thread and to ED3PTT (see OP thread). I will also post about it in the EDDN thread.
Hopefully that way it gets the exposure it truly deserves. Brilliant job.

Thanks wolverine!

I like it! ...

But would like to be able to manually enter my jump range and also max sc distance to station.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks. Jump range is automatically calculated from your ship, FSD rating, ship mass and fuel capacity and max distance to station is accounted for in the trade time. I'll consider adding manual control. Though I've found that the algorithm already does a good job of limiting routes to stations close to the entry star.

- - - Updated - - -

Getting a lot of search failed returned. is there a problem with it? - Very nicely thought out and super useful for tracking down a nice run. Needs a "clear all parameters" button to reset it. Also would like a setting to adjust number of trades in a run say from 2-10. And finally a range on the search that is done.

Performance is good (when working) 10/10. Great work!

What browser and search criteria are you using? I'll check the server logs for errors. Great feedback, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

when I thought that nothing exceeded this, wham something new! thanks for your work

I have a problem with the import of data from the ship -> Unrecognized ship name

I have doubts about that, I do not see how you save a route for another day, or to share and I do not see how I can prevent a system, either by erroneous data or because of my enemies ..

sorry for my English

Code:
[Type-9 Heavy]

BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy
RB: 5D Power Plant
TM: 7D Thrusters
FH: 6A Frame Shift Drive
EC: 5D Life Support
PC: 6D Power Distributor
SS: 4D Sensors
FS: 6C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 64)

8: 8E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 256)
7: 7E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 128)
6: 6E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 64)
5: 5D Shield Generator
4: 1E Collector Limpet Controller
4: 4E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 16)
3: 3E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 8)
3: 3E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 8)
2: 2E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 4)
---
Shield: 98,57 MJ
Power : 11,97 MW retracted (78%)
        11,97 MW deployed (78%)
        15,30 MW available
Cargo : 484 T
Fuel  : 64 T
Mass  : 1.116,5 T empty
        1.664,5 T full
Range : 18,59 LY unladen
        13,19 LY laden
Price : 97.814.385 CR
Re-Buy: 4.890.719 CR @ 95% insurance

I've seen this issue before on Safari, but haven't been able to reproduce the issue myself. What browser are you using?

Wow, you singlehandedly solved the one shortcoming of all other tools: Easily finding multistop routes. And this with a incredibly easy to use interface. This is pure genius. Obviously like all tools, it can only be as accurate as the database it feeds off. I wonder what effect it will have. With easy access some so far profitable because largely unused multistop routes will now be found and probably killed. Ideally though it should lead to the traders spreading out, when strongly frequented routes fail. Oh, and factoring in jump range is again pure genius.

Last edited:
Man, that is sweet... What did you write that in? I am amazed how good this looks and handles on a mobile platform. Will send you some rep from the desktop PC.
I would like to have the ability to widen the search radius, if possible.

Glad it runs well for you :) Check out the help page for some details on the tech used. Note that there is a (+) button in the bottom that will show you more routes. The search radius is already pretty wide. If you have a specific area you want the algorithm to explore, set a destination in the route section and that will stretch the search to include the destination (even if it is very far away). The current limit was chosen to make searches fast and keep the server from getting overloaded. The actual searches are done on the server in a C++ module. The core server logic uses Python and a lot of Javascript for the interface.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, you singlehandedly solved the one shortcoming of all other tools: Easily finding multistop routes. And this with a incredibly easy to use interface. This is pure genius. Obviously like all tools, it can only be as accurate as the database it feeds off. I wonder what effect it will have. With easy access some so far profitable because largely unused multistop routes will now be found and probably killed. Ideally though it should lead to the traders spreading out, when strongly frequented routes fail. Oh, and factoring in jump range is again pure genius.

Yeah I'm hopeful that it will get traders to spread out and rely less on repetitive routes. Thanks for the positive feedback :)

There's one feature missing I think: Limiting range of station from the entry point. Or is that factored into the calculation ?

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
ETN is receiving data from the EDDN. DO you support both the scheme V1 AND the new schema V2? We are discussing internally when schema V1 will be dropped but we would like to kill V1 rather sooner then later. As in schema V1 will be removed from the EDDN and it will NOT accept V1 messages any longer.

Maddavo is currently sending in V1 and V2 (and atm receiving V1 and V2) and all the "OCR error free" aka mobile api based tools (see also post #18 here) are also sending data in V2. The latest EDCE is V2 only. EDMC has a V1 and V2 version and EDAPI is V2 only. Also Seebeek of EliteOCR a week ago stated that he will end support for V1 in his new version, which is not out yet....

Last edited:
ETN is receiving data from the EDDN. DO you support both the scheme V1 AND the new schema V2? We are discussing internally when schema V1 will be dropped but we would like to kill V1 rather sooner then later. As in schema V1 will be removed from the EDDN and it will NOT accept V1 messages any longer.

Maddavo is currently sending in V1 and V2 (and atm receiving V1 and V2) and all the "OCR error free" aka mobile api based tools (see also post #18 here) are also sending data in V2. The latest EDCE is V2 only. EDMC has a V1 and V2 version and EDAPI is V2 only. Also Seebeek of EliteOCR a week ago stated that he will end support for V1 in his new version, which is not out yet....

Thanks for the heads up. ETN supports both V1 and V2 schemas so if V1 goes away that is no problem.

There's one feature missing I think: Limiting range of station from the entry point. Or is that factored into the calculation ?

The station distance is factored in to the trade time estimate. If a station is far from the sun that will add time to its trades and punish their profit/hour ratings. So the algorithm will avoid the station unless the profit is so good that it's worth the extra travel time.

- - - Updated - - -

This tool is awesome. Finally trading is fun :)

Glad to hear it :)

Incredible work! +1
Combined with one of the OEF tools suggested by @Wolverine it's just a click-and-go ride. Just today I made about 20 mil in less than 3 hrs. Interface is awesome. Algorithms are doing really good job. Alternative trade routes layout is informative and lets us pick the best route in terms of profit/ETA of total time/jumps count. Magnificent!
Thank you both guys!
Thanks to this tool trading is fun again. Keep the good work!

Edit: Obviously it's "3 hrs". Edited.

Last edited:
Incredible work! +1 Thanks to this tool trading is fun again. Keep the good work!

I totally agree, have yet to fully try it out (its 1:55 am)

Looks great and is damn simplistic and amazingly fast!

Like many have said- its BRILLIANT, sterling effort old boy ++++

Since this tool provides routing information, I would like to see a personalized option for manually excluding systems from the data and remembering those exclusions (and allowing later edit). This could be important in Powerplay, where one's "Hostile" status might discourage you from passing through, let alone trading in, such systems.

Wow - very very nice! Great look and feel - I love how you can drag bits around and it organically rearranges itself.

Interesting tool, the first one that i have seen to calculate a route from A to Z with the rest between.

Just one thing im missing...
is there a way to reduce the amount of jumps?
Currently it shows me a route with 15 jumps. oddly enough, my route that i currently fly, a simple ABC - CBA route, gives me around 400k per trip, while the 15 stop route on your page gives me just 1M with 15 stops.
so...yeah...with a way to reduce the jumps, i could see it as a very usefull tool

Last edited:
Like most trading tools these day you are missing the most profitable trades that PP introduced.
Stations that Buy and Sell the same item only show numbers for Supply. Demand is empty and thus all trade tools think that they can not sell this item, but you can.
-
As an example: My favorite trading tool, when set to "show me the most profitable trade between two stations", tells me to trade in coffee/tea one way and land enrichment systems the other way- for a trip total of 600cr/t.
However, I am trading Imperial Slaves for over 3000cr /t one way (the sell system can sell and buy the same item, but only show supply numbers) and the mentioned "land enrichment systems" the other way. All trading tools that I have tested miss this trade!
Before PP this system only had Supply of Imp. Slaves- you could not sell to the system. Now due to PP passive effects, you can sell Imp. Slaves to the system, but as mentioned earlier, the demand for imp. slaves is empty and thus all trading tools think you cant sell to the system- but sell you can. I have made over 50mil on this trade the last couple of days.
-
This is only one example, but I have been in a lot more system where the same thing apply- since now I have to manually hunt for the best trade route and basically is back to pen and paper again.
-
Edit: I am not sure if trading tools miss this trade due to empty demand or if they get confused when you can sell and buy the same item, but one thing is for sure that all tools I have tested do miss this trade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom