"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

Where is the official announcement of PSVR 2? All I can find is rumours. Nothing from Sony.

I doubt Frontier are working on unannounced hardware when they are not even working on the current generation consoles.
I watched it last night,although I may have been duped,it won’t be the first time it was real slick and not an obvious fiction,I’ll check my sources and up a link.
Edit yup fan made :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sure I'm maybe reading more into it than I should but the wording itself feels dismissive regarding other platforms

Of course, we don't know how much care and attention is paid to console ports compared to PC builds, but the issue I see with your comment is that it looks like you're starting from an assumption, and are looking for things which might substantiate it. I cant see that's a reliable way to get to the truth.

I noticed they recently announced the PSVR 2. This could be their reasoning behind not going all in with a PS5 version,because they’re already working on it and it will be VR ready,which traditionally on the consoles means they get to charge you all over again.
Or not.
Would be nice, but highly unlikely. PSVR2 is also not announced.

edit: hmm, didn't see the page break

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Another example here @boppa of backwards compatibility and what it can and can't do. Again stressing graphically identical to PS4 Pro. Richard even goes into detail how it's not tapping into the full CU performance of the GPU or SMT multi-threading of the Zen 2 CPU on PS5 due to running in BC. This explains the frame drops and why its not native PS5 app.

Source: https://youtu.be/-Wo3aJjwTlA

Even more evidence if we needed it that we are unlikely to see any performance boost on PS5 with Elite unless they decide to give us a native PS5 version (Like No Mans Sky or Warframe which both boost resolution).

Maybe one day......

Another example here @boppa of backwards compatibility and what it can and can't do. Again stressing graphically identical to PS4 Pro. Richard even goes into detail how it's not tapping into the full CU performance of the GPU or SMT multi-threading of the Zen 2 CPU on PS5 due to running in BC. This explains the frame drops and why its not native PS5 app.
I've been finding this side of the discussion very enlightening. My interest in a PS5 is more about making the games I currently own run better rather than buying new games, and it sounds like this isn't the case (unless the game gets a free PS5 update). I confess that this surprises me. Just another reason for me to just stick with my PS4 until a Slim PS5 is released.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I've been finding this side of the discussion very enlightening. My interest in a PS5 is more about making the games I currently own run better rather than buying new games, and it sounds like this isn't the case (unless the game gets a free PS5 update). I confess that this surprises me. Just another reason for me to just stick with my PS4 until a Slim PS5 is released.

Luckily for me lots of the games I play are improved on PS5. I didn't initially buy it to play games I already had, I saw that as a bonus and a reason I didn't need to worry about upgrading as I could play all my existing games.

Plus luckily games I play regularly like Warframe have full native versions on PS5 (which looks so much better than the PS4 Pro and performs way better). No Man's Sky also has a very solid PS5 version.

Most games benefit from faster loading and games like RDR2 and GTA V which I still play while not patched run at the best the Pro could do, solidly.

Days Gone is free on the PS+ collection so I will probably play it at some time if I get the time.

Hell even Elite runs 'better' with a more consistent frame rate. 😊

Source: https://youtu.be/-Wo3aJjwTlA

Even more evidence if we needed it that we are unlikely to see any performance boost on PS5 with Elite unless they decide to give us a native PS5 version (Like No Mans Sky or Warframe which both boost resolution).

Maybe one day......

Nice spot that @stormyuk

I agree that a native version is required for Elite on the PS5 in order to fully maximise it's potential.

I do still think that - in lieu of a native version - Frontier could in theory utilise technical nuances available within the BC framework in order to improve resolution on either both the PS4 Pro and PS5, or just the PS5.

However, the overriding factor remains that sadly, confusingly, surprisingly... neither option is at all likely.

33o7

On today's Super Cruise News stream, Community Manager Arthur Tolmie inferred that some news for console CMDRs would be coming soon, around the questions that have been raised in the AMA's and also the delay of Odyssey. He also mentioned that with the delay of Odyssey, things have been changing significantly 'in the background'.

Whether this means we'll have some new information pertaining specifically to current-gen consoles or not remains to be seen. Watch this space...

33o7

Last edited:
On today's Super Cruise News stream, Community Manager Arthur Tolmie inferred that some news for console CMDRs would be coming soon, around the questions that have been raised in the AMA's and also the delay of Odyssey. He also mentioned that with the delay of Odyssey, things have been changing significantly 'in the background'.

Whether this means we'll have some new information pertaining specifically to current-gen consoles or not remains to be seen. Watch this space...

33o7

This brings hope :)

Ohh hope to be dashed or will we be getting a nice shiney Odyssey version on PS5. Gotta be honest I am more likely to buy it if it it's enhanced for PS5.

I’m hoping for a “we were putting some graphical improvements in as part of Odyssey but since that’s delayed we’re going to push those out sooner for the existing game ...”

But that may be ridiculously optimistic ...

I’m hoping for a “we were putting some graphical improvements in as part of Odyssey but since that’s delayed we’re going to push those out sooner for the existing game ...”

But that may be ridiculously optimistic ...

I think the most plausible explanation is the one others have already pointed out - that the console delay means that releasing only last-gen console versions in late 2021 now sticks out like a sore thumb. My guess is that there will be a change in plans to address that.

Sure, actively making bad decisions is good business practice. Making your customers lose faith in your ability to provide a quality product does actually seem like par for the course anymore these days. The only reason it continues is because the sheep let it and pony up for the most expensive piece of excrement that has the most hype. It's still dumb

Sure, actively making bad decisions is good business practice.
Bad for you or bad for them? You get there's a difference, right? Frontier clearly made enough good decisions to allow their business to grow. Don't you think?

1611915047842.png

Over 5 years maybe.. how about since the delay? Also like you already stated. I don't care about whatever 'facts' you try to shove in my face. I'm only concerned with the experience I receive as a customer. I'm not an investor and don't care to be. I'm a consumer and "the customers always right"

you aren't going to change my opinion. I'm not sure why you keep trying.

Top Bottom