"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

That's very subjective*, though, and I think that's the problem. None of the current CM team have a PS4 or a PS5. I reckon you could count on one hand the amount of Devs that have even seen the game running on PS4/5.

This section of the forum is an echo chamber.

*Take a look at this --> https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/impressive-rings.563128/
Dont confuse Devs with CM.
I can't speak for the Devs but the CM regualrly play on console on streams.

CMs are powerless to influence what the devs do, they just need to put a positive spin on it and pretend it was part of the plan all along.

Graphical quality is not a priority for me, it goes straight into fluff section (nice to have, but not mandatory)

so for me the game itself trumps over the fluff offered by nice graphics.

So no wonder we have different expectations and different issues with the lack of native support for NextGens

On Xbox you'll get 4K, though. Here on PS5 we're stuck with 1080p; the point of this thread.

On Xbox you'll get 4K, though. Here on PS5 we're stuck with 1080p; the point of this thread.

Funny thing since you mention it... i do play on XB in upscaled 4k (not quite the same as native 4k) but on PC i play in 1080p...
Doesn't bother me at all - and i dont plan to get a 4k montor for my laptop since that it would kill the reason i'm playing on the laptop: mobility

Different games have different constraints.
In the defense of FDev, Elite Dangerous was built for the PC and ported to consoles. FDev had a lot less console experience than Rockstar.

RDR2 was built for the console and while I do agree Elite should be much better I agree with Scoob.

Elite Dangerous appears to be very CPU limited and the Jaguar CPUs are not great.

The XS and PS5 have much better CPUs this time around but, unfortunately Odyssey will be built for last generation consoles so the new consoles will just give what the last gen console version does with potentially more consistent frame rates.

FDev now should in theory have much more console experience but, seem reluctant to push the boundaries. Probably financial strings is what it all boils down to.
I respect everybody's opinions but I don't buy this,sorry ;)

I dont think generating nice terrain would be an issue for on-foot type of playing.

But generating the planet terrain and have it increase in details as you approach from supercruise is quite a challenge.
Or generating the terrain while moving at superspeeds in supercruise or glinding sequence over the planetary surface...
Yiou are mentiong exactly what the game does as of now,c'mon ;)

Its not possible to have a meaningful discussion about what this means for us customers unless you are an insider with specific knowledge. We simply don't know enough about the technology and how it's used in Frontier.

Having said that - writing the code once and then building many times against different platforms is a pretty standard approach, and that in of itself is not controversial.

Agreed, insider knowledge is needed to know the technical details of course, but some of my problem with that particular paragraph I quoted is as much about the viewpoint and language used than anything else. Sure I'm maybe reading more into it than I should but the wording itself feels dismissive regarding other platforms. It portrays a particular attitude, or philosophy if you prefer. - My brain paraphrases it as "Our engine is PC based, we can do everything on PC and port it to whatever without having to bother looking at or testing the other platforms in any great depth" To me that particular paragraph neatly explains FD's apparent lack of interest in the console ports. Of course this is just IMHO and I accept it's a left-field and completely subjective opinion!

One of the explanations put forward for CDPR's Cyberpunk woes (including by Obsidian Ant in his recent vid) is that CDPR started with the PC version as their base target and a view to 'working down' towards the console versions, when the more usual practice for cross-platform developers is to start with the console version and then 'work up' to the PC version. No doubt FD use the same approach as CDPR, as ED was first conceived for PC and the console versions were added later. Put simplistically, their approach is the PC version of ED is the target design, then they cut that version back until it 'works' on consoles. They are likely tied into doing it that way now because that's the way they started, but maybe it still leaves them open to the same sort of problems CDPR had when porting to lesser hardware?

Agreed, insider knowledge is needed to know the technical details of course, but some of my problem with that particular paragraph I quoted is as much about the viewpoint and language used than anything else. Sure I'm maybe reading more into it than I should but the wording itself feels dismissive regarding other platforms. It portrays a particular attitude, or philosophy if you prefer. - My brain paraphrases it as "Our engine is PC based, we can do everything on PC and port it to whatever without having to bother looking at or testing the other platforms in any great depth" To me that particular paragraph neatly explains FD's apparent lack of interest in the console ports. Of course this is just IMHO and I accept it's a left-field and completely subjective opinion!

One of the explanations put forward for CDPR's Cyberpunk woes (including by Obsidian Ant in his recent vid) is that CDPR started with the PC version as their base target and a view to 'working down' towards the console versions, when the more usual practice for cross-platform developers is to start with the console version and then 'work up' to the PC version. No doubt FD use the same approach as CDPR, as ED was first conceived for PC and the console versions were added later. Put simplistically, their approach is the PC version of ED is the target design, then they cut that version back until it 'works' on consoles. They are likely tied into doing it that way now because that's the way they started, but maybe it still leaves them open to the same sort of problems CDPR had when porting to lesser hardware?

Which only makes it more frustrating that they are not targeting the current-gen consoles ... porting that PC engine to PS5 / XBox Series X would require far fewer compromises as those platforms are as good as a mid-grade gaming PC.

So they should now target PS5 / XBox Series X ports FIRST and then port to previous-gen kit, rather than rely on backwards compatibility which - in PC terms - is like developing your game in 576p with low-res textures and 20fps running on Windows 98 on the basis that a PC from 20 years ago could cope with that so the latest PCs can just run the same thing in “backwards compatibility” and everything will be fine ...

Last edited:
but maybe it still leaves them open to the same sort of problems CDPR had when porting to lesser hardware?

Just as a matter of interest, how far off the recommended spec for a Windows PC for ED are the Xbox and PS 4?
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU or better / AMD FX 4350 Quad Core CPU or better
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 770 / AMD Radeon R9 280X
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 25 GB available space

Just as a matter of interest, how far off the recommended spec for a Windows PC for ED are the Xbox and PS 4?
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU or better / AMD FX 4350 Quad Core CPU or better
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 770 / AMD Radeon R9 280X
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 25 GB available space

Base ps4
The PS4 contains a total of 8 GB (16 × 0.5 GB (512 MiB) for CUH10XX/CUH11XX models or 8 x 1 GB (1024 MiB) for CUH12XX models memory chips) of GDDR5 unified system memory, and is capable of running at a maximum clock frequency of 2.75 GHz (5500 MT/s) with a maximum bandwidth of 176 GB/s.

Ps4 pro
Sony's PS4 Pro features an awesomely-named eight-core x86-64 AMD "Jaguar" CPU with a 4.2 teraflops AMD Radeon-based graphics card, 8GB GDDR5 RAM and 1TB storage. That's quite the graphics and speed upgrade for the PS4 Pro compared to the standard PS4, making it more powerful and able to offer much better visuals.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
That's very subjective*, though, and I think that's the problem. None of the current CM team have a PS4 or a PS5. I reckon you could count on one hand the amount of Devs that have even seen the game running on PS4/5.

This section of the forum is an echo chamber.

*Take a look at this --> https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/impressive-rings.563128/

To be honest even when Devs, Producer and CMs played on PS4 this forum was still an echo chamber. It was always hard to get FDev input on this forum area. Having said that they really don't post much at all elsewhere. When I met many of them at the Frontier Expo especially involved with PS4 the enthusiasm was real. It just never turned into traction with the PS4 version much after launch unfortunately.

So they should now target PS5 / XBox Series X ports FIRST and then port to previous-gen kit, rather than rely on backwards compatibility which - in PC terms - is like developing your game in 576p with low-res textures and 20fps running on Windows 98 on the basis that a PC from 20 years ago could cope with that so the latest PCs can just run the same thing in “backwards compatibility” and everything will be fine ...

If frontier were to follow the decision process you have, then yes, definitely.

But do you really think that's how they work out what to do next?

I noticed they recently announced the PSVR 2. This could be their reasoning behind not going all in with a PS5 version,because they’re already working on it and it will be VR ready,which traditionally on the consoles means they get to charge you all over again.
Or not.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I noticed they recently announced the PSVR 2. This could be their reasoning behind not going all in with a PS5 version,because they’re already working on it and it will be VR ready,which traditionally on the consoles means they get to charge you all over again.
Or not.

Where is the official announcement of PSVR 2? All I can find is rumours. Nothing from Sony.

I doubt Frontier are working on unannounced hardware when they are not even working on the current generation consoles.

Top Bottom