"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
SPAM THEIR TWITTER AND ALL THE LIVE STREAMS DEMANDING ACTION
Yeh, don't do this.

Yes various people checked shortly after PS5 launch.

I never did a comprehensive video, but did whip this up just to show loading times:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEVLVMDU9o0

Tried to capture footage of Elephant Butt Leather / planet textures / etc but it was a bit much work, and i kinda gave up. tldr yes play in Quality Mode though, 1080p at 60fps essentially.
Quality mode is still broken or downgraded.

Sadly, Xbox players already have 4K and Quality Mode. Jeez, if they don’t make a special PS5 version give us at least that, plus an OLED friendly HUD and display.

Lost one OLED to a combination of Elite / Destiny 2 HUDs ... well, I say “lost” ... it cost so much I’m still using it but every time there’s a red/orange/yellow tinted background and all those burn-in lines show up I feel slightly sick inside ..... now playing with my PS5 hooked up to a standard LCD screen instead ...

I did. PS5 quality mode is very nice in solo for me, 60FPS and general graphics look sharper. On the other hand, the UI becomes fuzzy and quite unclear at times, compared to the PS4 version I used to play.

In private group, I went with a friend to the Guardian ruins to get his mats for the FSD, and when the skimmers got out and we started shooting at them, I got some pretty ugly frame drops in quality mode, so there's that. Basically, what you have in PS5 quality mode is nothing but the PS4 Pro version in BC.

The only really good thing is loading times are super fast now, system map with many bodies in it is opened faster, plotting route on galaxy map is also very fast now. But for the powerhouse PS5 is, it's not nearly enough.

Yeh, would agree ... generally, PS5 in Quality mode is better/smoother than PS4 in quality mode but it’s far from “next gen” looking or performing.

I firmly believe FDev NEED to fix this ... by the time Odyssey drops for console they’re gonna be releasing a FPS add-on for a 5-year old game that runs in 1080p when the PS5 will be 1 year old ... they are absolutely KIDDING themselves if they think that is a remotely acceptable or competitive offering.

Yeh, would agree ... generally, PS5 in Quality mode is better/smoother than PS4 in quality mode but it’s far from “next gen” looking or performing.

I firmly believe FDev NEED to fix this ... by the time Odyssey drops for console they’re gonna be releasing a FPS add-on for a 5-year old game that runs in 1080p when the PS5 will be 1 year old ... they are absolutely KIDDING themselves if they think that is a remotely acceptable or competitive offering.
Competitive with what......?

Competitive with what......?
The quality of graphics / frame rate on other games available.

Sure, Elite is somewhat unique with respect to the type of game it is but if they’re going up against, oh, I don’t know ... the remastered Mass Effect Trilogy or No Mans Sky, then it’s gonna be a tough sell running at last gen resolution / framerates.

And if you’re wanting to pull in a wider audience, Destiny 2 (right now) and Horizon: Forbidden West are going to absolutely smash it on graphical quality. Even if folks aren‘t directly comparing games, Elite will look antiquated next to the other products on the market

I can name 3 off hand that might be somewhat comparible:

No Man's Sky is the obvious one (4K / 60FPS / VR Support / Cross Play)​
Destiny (4K / 60FPS / Ultra Textures / Cross Play)​
CoD (4K / 60FPS / Ultra textures / Cross Play)​

Can anyone spot a common theme...?
After seeing No Man's Sky space legs, what FD "achieved" with their space legs is laughable.

If that's really what you think, then why are you still here? Why not just leave and go play something that's worth your time?

Because I don't leave when you want me to. You can be in defensive all you want, but that doesn't change the fact "space legs" in FD right now is just a reticle in the middle of your screen.

And no, I am not playing this game for the "space legs went pew-pew" but you're a bit too slow to understand that.

Because I don't leave when you want me to. You can be in defensive all you want, but that doesn't change the fact "space legs" in FD right now is just a reticle in the middle of your screen.

And no, I am not playing this game for the "space legs went pew-pew" but you're a bit too slow to understand that.

I`m simply curious that if you think its that bad, what's your motive for staying?

I`m simply curious that if you think its that bad, what's your motive for staying?
If it’s the same as mine then it’s literally everything else in the game ...

I wanted - and bought - a space exploration / trading / combat simulation game like the original Elite but in a bigger galaxy and much, much better. I’m very happy about that.

I have little to no interest in a shoe-horned FPS “mini-game” being bolted into it. But I don’t mind if there is and other folks enjoy it.

I do mind that the pursuit of that is causing the quality of the core original game to suffer on PlayStation, when compared both with (1) what PC and XBox get, (2) what other games achieve on PlayStation and (3) what ED PREVIOUSLY managed on PlayStation before stuff got broken and has never been fixed.

I'm not disagreeing but it's the direction they feel is the best to take. Maybe after they have it where they want it they'll come back to polish off what's left behind. I'm not holding my breath though and you shouldn't either. Most of the issues on ps4 are years old at this point and they won't even acknowledge the question when asked about them directly.

I'm not disagreeing but it's the direction they feel is the best to take. Maybe after they have it where they want it they'll come back to polish off what's left behind. I'm not holding my breath though and you shouldn't either. Most of the issues on ps4 are years old at this point and they won't even acknowledge the question when asked about them directly.
Agreed ... my fear is they are quietly sunsetting either the PlayStation version or maybe console support in general ... with the “delay” to the console versions of Odyssey simply a way of postponing having to deliver the bad news ...

To be clear, that is just wild paranoia on my part - there is no evidence for this - but the lack of fixes for the existing PS4 version and the “no plans” to support the now current-gen consoles just does not leave me feeling hopeful.

Top Bottom