"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

I hope the consoles gets some love.
And a native version

I dont see it as PS is entitled to a native version and XB not, nor the other way around.
So yea, not only PS5 lacks support, Series X/S lacks support too..
Maybe you should also have a thread, like this one, in the Xbox section, as the XSX/XSS lack support as well. Don't get lost in a PS5 native thread, start something to get noticed.

The more console players you get behind that, the better.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I hope the consoles gets some love.
And a native version

I dont see it as PS is entitled to a native version and XB not, nor the other way around.
So yea, not only PS5 lacks support, Series X/S lacks support too..
I've never said the XS doesn't deserve support. I don't think anyone has said such a thing to be honest.

Last edited:
This thread is ultimately about the lack of PS5 support and the PlayStation communities hope we get it with Elite. Not really concerned with Xbox tbh although I would hope both the XSX and PS5 would get Odyssey love at some point.
Remember that if and when frontier chose to pull the trigger on current-gen, that would be a decision that covers both PS and Xbox, just like the planned odyssey port from PC to last gen covers both. Doing one and not the other is hugely inefficient.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Remember that if and when frontier chose to pull the trigger on current-gen, that would be a decision that covers both PS and Xbox, just like the planned odyssey port from PC to last gen covers both. Doing one and not the other is hugely inefficient.
That goes without saying. I honestly am really not that thick Scoob.

We were just discussing how successful the PS5 launch has been so far and that hopefully FDev take note. Then we get some Xbox players poopooing the numbers with Xbox player numbers and Gamepass. 🤷‍♂️

Just don't see the correlation with putting negative spin on PS. Nor do we need PS vs Xbox on this forum section when it's the PlayStation sub-forum or anywhere on here tbh.

Console players should stick together we get enough blame for all Odyssey woes from the PCMR without turning this thread into PS vs Xbox.

Enough of that on twitter and neogaf if people have the stomach for it. I am too old for that.

There have been one or two already, their existence isn't going to prevent fanboys from coming over here and derailing the discussion though. Its down to the grownups to keep the thread on track.
The existence of fanboys in any thread should be handled by moderator team. The existence of a thread asking for a native console version is still needed, doesn't have anything to do with fanboys or derailing threads.

You think one needs to be a grown-up to keep a discussion on thread?

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
The existence of fanboys in any thread should be handled by moderator team. The existence of a thread asking for a native console version is still needed, doesn't have anything to do with fanboys or derailing threads.

You think one needs to be a grown-up to keep a discussion on thread?
Being a fanboy isn't against the rules of the forum. Anyone is free to report any post if they believe it breaks the forum rules regardless of who posts it.

Forum rules are here.

We don't need the PlayStation forum to become DD and for the most part this place is friendly.

Having opinions is fine, as long as we keep it to not being personal attacks or trolling.

Group hug? Oh pandemic.. 🤣

Anyway. At least on PlayStation we won't be getting the new Odyssey UI on the 19th May. Small mercies and all that....

Being a fanboy isn't against the rules of the forum. Anyone is free to report any post if they believe it breaks the forum rules regardless of who posts it.

Forum rules are here.

We don't need the PlayStation forum to become DD and for the most part this place is friendly.

Having opinions is fine, as long as we keep it to not being personal attacks or trolling.

Group hug? Oh pandemic.. 🤣

Anyway. At least on PlayStation we won't be getting the new Odyssey UI on the 19th May. Small mercies and all that....
Maybe we will get that UI? 🤣

I have no idea how bad it really is, but looking at the Odyssey thread... I am getting emotional 🤪

However @Artie could indulge us with some Inara percentages for PC/XB/PS numbers - sure that would be valid only for Inara registered commanders, but could still provide us an idea regarding console commanders that are interested enough in ED to create an Inara account (i'm one of them)
Please Artie? 🙏
It's ~82% PC, ~10% Xbox and ~7% PS4 for the users that have linked their game accounts and were active in the last 365 days on Inara. But, I don't think it's representative - console users are probably less likely using the web services as they usually also need to have an extra device for that (cell phone, tablet, PC) for a comfortable use during the gameplay. I bet the real percentage of console players is higher than that.

Last edited:
BugBear Entertainment have released a PS5 feature trailer, which gives us some indication of what we might expect from Frontier for Elite Dangerous (if they had plans)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei1T9KSlQRM

Incidentally, this game is also free for PSN Subs next month.

It's good to see a developer supporting their game across all platforms. (Wreckfest started life as a primarily PC game).

o7

BugBear Entertainment have released a PS5 feature trailer, which gives us some indication of what we might expect from Frontier for Elite Dangerous (if they had plans)

It's good to see a developer supporting their game across all platforms. (Wreckfest started life as a primarily PC game).

o7
28 employees, that's BugBear Entertainment. Versus 600.

Just saying.

24 player Multiplayer. Elite instancing could learn a thing or two if that works.
SOCOM 1 and 2 had 16 players (8v8) on dial-up with the PS Network adapter, back in 2002 - that's 19 years ago, nineteen!

MAG on PS3 had 256 players.

Battlefield 4 on PS3 had 24 players.
Battlefield 4 on PS4 had 64 players.

As for 4K 60fps raytracing and native PS5 support, Returnal has all that and it plays like a dream, and Housemarque is only 80 people (all roles, like the tea lady, not just developers). I got molested by something with far too many tentacles, but loving it!

o7
I wonder if the Wreckfest forums had a thread much like this one 😉

I wonder if the Wreckfest forums had a thread much like this one 😉

Who knows; but probably some developer teams have had a well-conceived plan from a while ago to implement it. There are also developers whose games' forums abound with threads like this one.

In the end, FDEV will do whatever they choose to, and that will probably help people make a decision eventually. We'll see.

Console players should stick together we get enough blame for all Odyssey woes from the PCMR without turning this thread into PS vs Xbox.
As you can imagine, I'm all for people not having to justify their platform choices. However, if you're looking for cross platform harmony, using the moniker PCMR isn't exactly helpful.

As you can imagine, I'm all for people not having to justify their platform choices. However, if you're looking for cross platform harmony, using the moniker PCMR isn't exactly helpful.
Lol,
Us console peasants get more than our fair share of console bashing from the PC brigade.

Single in-game lighting source - must be because the consoles can't handle it
'Horrible' UI - must be because consoles don't support Keyboard & Mouse
Poor FPS - must be because consoles are holding Frontier back from optimising their code
No Ship Interiors - must be because console dont have sufficient memory to render the extra content
etc
etc

Most of it is complete rubbish, but it doesn't stop the mud being slung by some people.

PC commanders can spend £1000s on a top end rig if they want, all sorts of combinations of CPU, GPU, graphics cards, Hard drive, monitor but still they blame consoles for problems.
The most basic console is actually of a higher spec than the Minimum Supported Spec for a PC but that bit of inconvenient narrative gets in the way

As it stands,
  • following the announcement of Odyssey in August 2020, an interview on a gaming site quoted two Frontier representatives saying that they had no plans for development on XBox series X or PS5.
  • Frontier, in January 2021, issued a statement saying that they were delaying console release for Odyssey until Autumn 2021 in favour of getting PC Odyssey out of the door within FY2020.
  • April 2021 saw the Elite Odyssey launch page posted, listing PC, PS4 and Xbox. (no mention of anything specific for PS5)

I really want Frontier to tailor the experience for the current gen consoles rather than 8 yr old console but they have said nothing to that effect to date.
XBox at least received an update for their last gen console to support 4k so backwards compatibility on a XBox Series X can make use of that.
Playstation didn't receive that update.

Top Bottom