General Notoriety and Engineers

The Pilot Federation is concerned about the total non-punishability of its pilots when receiving a notoriety. Many pilots in the federation are abusing this.
The Pilot Federation has made a suggestion to ALL engineers (since they can remotely interact with and improve modules) if they (engineers) want to continue working for the Pilot Federation they must further influence all their improvements.

Specifically: they remotely install a lockdown module on all existing engineering modules. When they receive a notoriety, all improvements on all modules are disabled until the notoriety is reset.

Not all engineers were happy with this idea, but they had to comply.

insert the usual disclaimer here that there's plenty of PG/Solo CMDRs, i.e. non-gankers, who have notoriety. It's not just obtained by ganking, but also by various PvE activities.

How do you propose to differentiate?
Why distinguish between the two? It's just like notoriety is a punishment, it is given for any wrongful act to all who committed it.

Some engineers are career criminals and / or distrust authority, which lore wise makes the idea a spaghetti bowl of inconsistent badness.
As I recall, one of them was a pirate and repented. Or do you think the engineers' homes are known throughout the galaxy and they get away with it?

For starters, name me at least one engineer located in Anarchy, I want to learn his history.

P.S. I like that the idea will be met with opposition among the pirates, they don't want any risks.

Why distinguish between the two? It's just like notoriety is a punishment, it is given for any wrongful act to all who committed it.
Well even if you didn't write it, your posts reeks of the wish of ganker punishment. That's why I asked. If it's a general suggestion, it is a very bad one. Do you know how easy you gain notoriety doing Odyssey ground missions? You'd destroy that.

So no. Really, no. Notoriety is a really bad metric to "punish" players by. Also, why punish at all, if not born out of the desire to specifically punish gankers?

As I recall, one of them was a pirate and repented. Or do you think the engineers' homes are known throughout the galaxy and they get away with it?

For starters, name me at least one engineer located in Anarchy, I want to learn his history.

P.S. I like that the idea will be met with opposition among the pirates, they don't want any risks.
You don't understand the concept behind the engineers. They are not widely known, they are recluses that go by reputation from other engineers- otherwise why don't all ships rock engineering? Plus, tech brokers are there for a reason as poor mans engineers for those who can't gain access.

And as Goto states, Liz Ryder, Eurybia Blue Mafia. There are others too, such as The Dweller who dislike authority to the point of paranoia.

Plus your idea is bad because it won't stop notoriety being the 'metric' to end things. Back when hot ships (which was a good step in the right direction IMO) were a thing I'd run BGS murder ships with minimal to no engineering. Gankers do the same- the issue is the targets not thinking defensively enough.

A proper solution would be a mix of hot ships (linked to aspects of the BGS gov types), better security response in general and players having a less wet attitude.

If anything notoriety should have benefits such as NPCs dropping cargo in a panic, some violent missions being unlocked (while others locked away) and that certain gov types being receptive / repulsed by people with notoriety. For example in anarchy notoriety deters pirates attacking you, and that you get discounts (sort of a dark mirror to Elite ranking).

Well even if you didn't write it, your posts reeks of the wish of ganker punishment. That's why I asked. If it's a general suggestion, it is a very bad one. Do you know how easy you gain notoriety doing Odyssey ground missions? You'd destroy that.

So no. Really, no. Notoriety is a really bad metric to "punish" players by. Also, why punish at all, if not born out of the desire to specifically punish gankers?
Yeah, I get a lot of publicity in Odyssey, especially if I don't act carefully. I immediately fly somewhere safe (I can do it without engineers) and wait there to reset the limelight, usually less than 2 hours for some reason.

But there are pilots who organize a complete massacre, they don't care that they have a big limelight, as they get tired of it they just don't turn off the computer for the night and that's it.

But to write that it is only against gankers I think is not right. Since instantly appear gankers and cover piracy, that they say it can not be done.

Notoriety could also be a consequence of missions... or settlement scavenging.

Not considering that powerplay "crimes" don't produce notoriety.
Yeah I'm aware of that and when I get publicity I go for it myself, it's my choice. I don't even see why I should get away with accidentally killing someone in the settlement. The point is that when you get publicity, you get something to go with it, not just words.

You don't understand the concept behind the engineers. They are not widely known, they are recluses that go by reputation from other engineers- otherwise why don't all ships rock engineering? Plus, tech brokers are there for a reason as poor mans engineers for those who can't gain access.

And as Goto states, Liz Ryder, Eurybia Blue Mafia. There are others too, such as The Dweller who dislike authority to the point of paranoia.

Plus your idea is bad because it won't stop notoriety being the 'metric' to end things. Back when hot ships (which was a good step in the right direction IMO) were a thing I'd run BGS murder ships with minimal to no engineering. Gankers do the same- the issue is the targets not thinking defensively enough.

A proper solution would be a mix of hot ships (linked to aspects of the BGS gov types), better security response in general and players having a less wet attitude.

If anything notoriety should have benefits such as NPCs dropping cargo in a panic, some violent missions being unlocked (while others locked away) and that certain gov types being receptive / repulsed by people with notoriety. For example in anarchy notoriety deters pirates attacking you, and that you get discounts (sort of a dark mirror to Elite ranking).
Doesn't matter, if they want to continue to provide services to Federation pilots for more pay let them dance to the common tune.

I'd rather see engineers refuse to provide services to clean members of the PF

After all, the PF is a murderous organisation where the members of such are encouraged to kill for credits, influence, reputation and just generally, for fun.

No thanks...

I'd rather see engineers refuse to provide services to clean members of the PF

After all, the PF is a murderous organisation where the members of such are encouraged to kill for credits, influence, reputation and just generally, for fun.

No thanks...
All right. Based on what you say, why did they put the Notoriety in the game?

Doesn't matter, if they want to continue to provide services to Federation pilots for more pay let them dance to the common tune.
You still don't get it. Pilots fed members go to the engineers for that technological edge- not to mention some being loyal to superpowers.

Your idea is using a hammer to cook pancakes with.

The C+P system needs nuance rather than brute force silliness- even ATR is ineffective against non engineered ships if you know what you are doing. What then? Lockable mittens for pirates so they can't press cockpit buttons? All ships except Sidewinders have locks that disable the ship if notoriety is high?

All right. Based on what you say, why did they put the Notoriety in the game?
Flavour, I'd guess, being a career criminal in-game is fun, notoriety doesn't affect 99% of gameplay in the least, nor does it affect other players in the least, so why worry?
Enjoy your "Holier-than-thou" game and leave us scum to enjoy what little criminal activity the game provides.

As always, if one is bothered by gankers, there are modes where they cannot inhabit, after all.

You still don't get it. Pilots fed members go to the engineers for that technological edge- not to mention some being loyal to superpowers.

Your idea is using a hammer to cook pancakes with.

The C+P system needs nuance rather than brute force silliness- even ATR is ineffective against non engineered ships if you know what you are doing. What then? Lockable mittens for pirates so they can't press cockpit buttons? All ships except Sidewinders have locks that disable the ship if notoriety is high?
It's my idea, I don't think it's perfect.
If you can suggest a better one, I'm all for it. The forum thread is for everyone and I will be very happy that if something will offer optimal, which is easy to implement (program) and many people will like it.

Top Bottom