General / Off-Topic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is Burning

Parisโ€™s Notre Dame Cathedral, which was nearly totally lost to fire in April 2019, will be rebuilt as it was, the French government says, defying the calls of modernist architects to seize the opportunity to give the medieval masterpiece a glass and steel overhaul.
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Indeed this is great news full of common sense.

Even Macron bowed his head.

๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿ˜ท

Netflix will be soon making a series telling the story of the heroic act of the French firefighters brigade during Notre Dame's fire.
It seems that a movie is also in the works.

I for one hope that some of the monie earned goes to the Firefighters.

With a flint and steel the spark ignites the kindling creating a hot ember the spark itself isn't an ember.

You do know internal combustion engines use spark plugs right ?.
Please, if you don't know how an engine works don't even go there, this is a ridiculous comparison.

in case you don't know a combustion engine works by compressing a gas (fuel and air) and when the compression is at the highest point , yes a spark is ignited, but you can't make fuel burn with a spark plug in open air.

Please, if you don't know how an engine works don't even go there, this is a ridiculous comparison.

in case you don't know a combustion engine works by compressing a gas (fuel and air) and when the compression is at the highest point , yes a spark is ignited, but you can't make fuel burn with a spark plug in open air.
So how does a Zippo lighter work then, or any lighter, gas or petrol, for that matter? Flint, or Piezo?

With a flint and steel the spark ignites the kindling creating a hot ember the spark itself isn't an ember.

You do know internal combustion engines use spark plugs right ?.

The spark from a striking flint and steel together is making embers...it's literally cleaving off tiny flakes of burning iron.

The spark from a spark plug is from an electrical arc, which is an ionized gas channel created through a normally insulative medium once the electric potential difference between two points become great enough.

Either can start a fire, conditions permitting, but the nature of these two types of sparks is very different.

The spark from a striking flint and steel together is making embers...it's literally cleaving off tiny flakes of burning iron.

The spark from a spark plug is from an electrical arc, which is an ionized gas channel created through a normally insulative medium once the electric potential difference between two points become great enough.

Either can start a fire, conditions permitting, but the nature of these two types of sparks is very different.

That would explain why I chose to write separate sentences and never tried to combine the two things ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ.

I was just pointing out that the word spark applies both to incandescent particles and (since the 18th century) intermittent electrical arcs.

I suppose 'ember' was technically incorrect, but solid incandescent sparks can ignite material well away from the source of the sparks, while an appropriate fuel/oxidizer would need to be in the path of an electrical arc to be ignited by it directly. On a side note, the sparks from things like sparking wires are generally incandescent particles rather than electrical arcs themselves, especially at lower voltages. Anyway, the distinction is academic and says next to nothing about how effective a given spark is at starting a fire.

Most electrical fires don't feature sparks at all, except perhaps as a side effect. A poor connection, exposed wire, or a damaged wire can easily raise the resistance of a circuit (short or otherwise) to the point that it heats up enough to cause a fire. Even completely intact wiring and fixtures can be the cause of fires if there is too great a load on them and the fuse/breaker system isn't working.

Anyway, in the case of the Notre Dame fire, there is no reason to suspect it was intentional, and in absence of other compelling evidence, I'd take the official report at face value. A good arsonist can certainly make a fire look accidental, but there is usually no reason to bother, since the odds of getting caught (at least in a well trafficed venue or one without significant surveillance) are negligible and it's usually much easier to guarantee damage if one isn't trying to obscure the nature of the fire.

I was just pointing out that the word spark applies both to incandescent particles and (since the 18th century) intermittent electrical arcs.

I suppose 'ember' was technically incorrect, but solid incandescent sparks can ignite material well away from the source of the sparks, while an appropriate fuel/oxidizer would need to be in the path of an electrical arc to be ignited by it directly. On a side note, the sparks from things like sparking wires are generally incandescent particles rather than electrical arcs themselves, especially at lower voltages. Anyway, the distinction is academic and says next to nothing about how effective a given spark is at starting a fire.

Most electrical fires don't feature sparks at all, except perhaps as a side effect. A poor connection, exposed wire, or a damaged wire can easily raise the resistance of a circuit (short or otherwise) to the point that it heats up enough to cause a fire. Even completely intact wiring and fixtures can be the cause of fires if there is too great a load on them and the fuse/breaker system isn't working.

Anyway, in the case of the Notre Dame fire, there is no reason to suspect it was intentional, and in absence of other compelling evidence, I'd take the official report at face value. A good arsonist can certainly make a fire look accidental, but there is usually no reason to bother, since the odds of getting caught (at least in a well trafficed venue or one without significant surveillance) are negligible and it's usually much easier to guarantee damage if one isn't trying to obscure the nature of the fire.

Yep, I wasn't focussing overly on terminology since the argument was whether or not an electrical fault can start a fire rather than the difference between a spark and an arc either or both of which can be caused by a fault and subsequently trigger a fire.

The cost of securing and consolidating doubled.

Auditioned Thursday, July 2 by deputies, General Georgelin said that the budget for the consolidation phase of the building until the summer of 2021 is re-evaluated at 165 million euros.

After the reconstruction works will begin.

๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿ˜ท

Roselyne Bachelot against contemporary stained glass windows in Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris.

The Minister of Culture, who visited the building site, excluded the replacement of the originals. (y)

๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿฆ  ๐Ÿ˜ท

Top Bottom