NPC SRV coming with 4.0?

https://careers.frontier.co.uk/e/careers/positions/a0Ia-6g7Tg9Rc4ntm-8WY-

As part of our gameplay programming team, you will work with Frontier’s proprietary COBRA engine and the game systems that create our simulation of the whole galaxy. You will build upon the physics, driving model, navigation and networking systems to create driving AI that understands and explores the surfaces of procedurally generated planets. Working in a cross-discipline game development team you will build an understanding of how vehicle AI fits into the wider game, and help the team to enhance the game with the opportunities that vehicle AI offers.

They are also hiring a technical game designer:
https://careers.frontier.co.uk/e/careers/positions/bDUN2ZTxTp66TG5dPRuBaL

We are looking for an experienced Game Designer to help design exciting new content for Elite Dangerous.

Key Responsibilities
Design and setup of scenarios/missions
Design of mechanics and games systems
Testing and balancing gameplay
Providing specifications for game features and content
Using a range of software and in-house tools to create compelling game play experiences.

Last edited:
Holy crap that's exciting!
a) NPC SRVs ... I mean, that's just awesome by itself.
But b) that suggests that FD are looking to add quite a lot more planetary surface gameplay.

Also ...
I wonder if it will be possible to kite one all the way around a planet and thereby achieve the first NPC member of the Planetary Circumnavigation Club.

Or ...
How about kiting one along the Pomeche Ridge challenge?

Oh boy, the possibilities are endless. Colour me excited!

If it's what we're thinking it is, it kinda gets me more pumped than the big ticket updates! This game has needed better NPCs for so long, and it seemed like a reasonable addition to me but they've stayed the same since I started playing in 2015.

I would HOPE that if we are indeed getting Space Legs that NPCs would walk around as well, and having them drive around makes sense too. I don't wanna get too big on what it could mean of course, but activity not only at stations but at those big city bases (like the one on Mercury) finally having some life would be great.

And then I think, "well, if they're walking/driving around, we gotta be able to interact with them", so I start hoping that I'll finally get one of my personal big wants-- NPC COMMS! Dialogue with the damn NPCs, ways to interact aside from just shooting at them. In my head all these things go together, but I'll wait and not go in expecting it until we know (despite my blatant extrapolation here).

"You will play a major role in developing new game features for planetary surfaces"

Nope, sorry but that has to be Elite.
So maybe the expansion is not space legs, but atmospheric planets. Maybe the leak was wrong about Elite Dangerous. Or maybe they are working on both and the leaker had no knowledge of the other part that is being designed/built.

So maybe the expansion is not space legs, but atmospheric planets. Maybe the leak was wrong about Elite Dangerous. Or maybe they are working on both and the leaker had no knowledge of the other part that is being designed/built.
Or perhaps it includes more gameplay on the planetary surface types we already have - with landable "atmospheric" planet types still reserved for a future (beyond 2020) expansion. Many people say that there's no point having more landable planet types until there's more to do on them. Personally I don't entirely agree with this viewpoint but nevertheless I can see how that might make sense from Frontier's point of view.

Top Bottom