NPC Wings and Crew - Single and Multiplayer Balance

agreed... sadly at some point between DDF and release something changed imo and it seems clear to me now that MP content is where the developers interests lie in the game. just look at the key updates.

wings, cqc, crew, (soon) powerplay, executive control ships.

I hope to be pleasantly proven wrong but its been what over 3 years now since wings launched and nothing has changed regarding DDF wingmates so i would not hold your breath.

Lets hope not, as the barebone mechanics with SLF pilots is already alive and kicking.

agreed... sadly at some point between DDF and release something changed imo and it seems clear to me now that MP content is where the developers interests lie in the game. just look at the key updates.

wings, cqc, crew, (soon) powerplay, executive control ships.

I hope to be pleasantly proven wrong but its been what over 3 years now since wings launched and nothing has changed regarding DDF wingmates so i would not hold your breath.

Yeah the updates do indeed tend to paint a rather grim future for PG/Solo. And what you listed doesn't even include the latest effort to make Open play their "flagship mode".

Indeed, I'm not holding my breath- I'm simply waiting until after Q4 to see what's going to improve and what's not. "ED Arena" and I'm gone. If they really want to improve core gameplay mechanics for everyone, on the other hand- and add improvements to Solo/PG, Exploration, etc. then I'll definitely be around.

Lets hope not, as the barebone mechanics with SLF pilots is already alive and kicking.

That's also primary basis for the justification here- it's not like there isn't a precedence set for NPC/player cooperative interaction already. It exists, and Frontier should improve those mechanics, if anything to enhance the Solo player experience that way there's no imbalance in the way people choose to play.

In terms of adding to immersion, it's pretty much a no-brainer. It only strengthens the feeling of interaction between the player and the game. Of course, that actually requires some effort, and not just throwing players together in the coliseum, handing them weapons and simply letting them provide the gameplay. Then again, I know I didn't pay for this game to "be the game".

We should be able to hire NPCs, and they should take a cut of the action.

I would appreciate some ability to customize their appearance as well.

Seems like a cash cow for FDEV that is a missed opportunity.

I completely agree. The game is out for over 3 years now and there is still now way to hire NPC wingmen as a form of protection e.g. for traders, it's kind of ridiculous.

Or be hired as protection for an NPC trader/miner/prison transport etc. Missions like that could add a lot to the game.

NPC crew too, even if they were entirely cosmetic. It'd be nice if they had simple animations though in response to certain actions (e.g. a 'weapons officer' NPC might start hammering on the controls when the weapons are deployed or fired, a 'navigator' NPC might do the same when you're about to jump/drop or when you change your selected destination). Especially cool if combined with VoiceAttack.

It'd be mint if Solo players who want to play in Open could, if attacked by a Grief-Hobo, set a very highly trained NPC crew in powerful ships onto him.

Or summat.

Tbh, I've not quite learned multicrew and that. I only have 240 hours in-game. I haven't ever squadded up, either.

Last edited:
It'd be mint if Solo players who want to play in Open could, if attacked by a Grief-Hobo, set a very highly trained NPC crew in powerful ships onto him.

Or summat.

Tbh, I've not quite learned multicrew and that. I only have 240 hours in-game. I haven't ever squadded up, either.

No thanks. Solo only. Multiplayer (both Open and PGs) already has Wings available.

Now that the door to Mode Feature Exclusivity has been opened by Sandro, this shouldn't be a problem, right?

Now that the door to Mode Feature Exclusivity has been opened by Sandro, this shouldn't be a problem, right?

Thar door has been open for some time, just ask anyone who wants to take HiRes screenshots.

Looks like PG is the "superior mode", it has wing, multi-crew and Alt+F10 - only mode to have all features ;)

Top Bottom