Guide / Tutorial Nutter’s explorers guide to the Galaxy

As someone who is just touching exploration for the first time, this guide is awesome, but I don't get the size and temp bonus thing.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
As someone who is just touching exploration for the first time, this guide is awesome, but I don't get the size and temp bonus thing.

When you look at a system info on the Galaxy Map it will tell you what stars are in the system. So as for Nutter's example a G5 IV star will not give you as many credits as a G0 IV star.

Edit: In most cases you will just see the Class and Temp displayed

Last edited:
Speaking of today, how far a rookie explorer who just have started playing should fly from starting sectors to be able to explore and claim the stellar objects undiscovered by the moment? Is it hundreds or thousands of lightyears?

Please excuse me for such a lame question.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Speaking of today, how far a rookie explorer who just have started playing should fly from starting sectors to be able to explore and claim the stellar objects undiscovered by the moment? Is it hundreds or thousands of lightyears?

Could be hundreds if you find the right spot. It's impossible to answer really as you could travel thousands of Ly before finding an undiscovered system. If you're heading for a particular object/area, then don't just fly straight there, try going "up" or "down" a couple of hundred Ly and have the route planner on economical and you may stand a better chance ;)

I went exploring for the first time yesterday, and found quite a few undiscovered planets only 500 light-years from Sol. I may have found one or two undiscovered stars but I'm not sure.

I went exploring for the first time yesterday, and found quite a few undiscovered planets only 500 light-years from Sol. I may have found one or two undiscovered stars but I'm not sure.

Undiscovered planets are easy to find, because they are mostly low worth discoveries, suns are much tougher to find that close in.

Thanks Nutter and everyone for the tips, been very helpful. I've been on two 1000LY trips. The first was in a Diamondback Scout. The problem with the DBS for me was that it carried very little fuel - four jumps and it was empty which made me very twitchy about getting left without petrol in the middle of nowhere - even with a good fuel scoop. So I traded it in for a DBX. Lots of fuel, but I couldn't afford a really big FSD so my max jump was about 19LY. I was carrying a lot of defence and armament because being 'mostly harmless' makes me seem a lot more threatening than I really am. Anyway, I wanted to go to the Orion Nebula. I got within 1000LYs but couldn't plot a route through, so I assumed that I didn't have sufficient jump range. So I returned to what passes for civilisation and re-equipped the DBX with the biggest FSD I could buy. I can now jump 30LY but have had to go for hardly and defence, an intermediate discovery scanner and a fuel scoop which I also use for stirring my tea. So I'm going to do some rare trades and get enough to get a real scoop and proper scanner. Then to the Orion Nebula where I assume I'll find lots of other tourists.

Once again, thanks to Nutter and everyone.

BTW, is it possible to take out a contract on a psychopath CMDR?

This is a great thread for a new player like me. I set up a hauler as described and I explored the systems in the missions in the original post. That has bumped my Exploration rank up to Surveyor (Level 4).

I think my next exploration ship will be the diamondback explorer when I can afford it and the upgrades.

I was wondering as well what you have to do to find an unclaimed object that I can put my name on. It looks like you have to travel quite far!

Last edited:
HI,

COuld I verify the value of a neutron star scan?

The 1st post says 18000 to 20000, the linked image in the first post says 19,000, but this (http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Explorer#Rewards_for_exploring) says it's 36,000 to 38,000.

Does anyone know which is correct?

The values in the first post (and in the image) are the old values before Frontier released the patch that doubled the values (patch 1.1 I believe or maybe 1.2). 36k-38k is correct, 18k-20k is not.

This is a great thread for a new player like me. I set up a hauler as described and I explored the systems in the missions in the original post. That has bumped my Exploration rank up to Surveyor (Level 4).

I think my next exploration ship will be the diamondback explorer when I can afford it and the upgrades.

I was wondering as well what you have to do to find an unclaimed object that I can put my name on. It looks like you have to travel quite far!

You get a "discovered by" tag if you're the first to sell the data for a particular object. And there is still quite a lot of undiscovered stuff even in populated space....

Awesome guide, especially the video about avoiding dangerous binary star systems. Thats saved my skin several times now, I seem to be magnetised towards those things! I scope out every jump before I make it now, no way Im letting my DBX get fried!

After travelling around the Synuefe region I got the answer to how far you have to go to find un-discovered objects. It's around 200 to 400 ly out from populated space. I made my mark on Elite dangerous finally!

Screenshot_0034 First Discovery 1 SD-R C21-24.jpg

There I am. I got a small bonus for first discovery and a happy feeling. Now everyone that explores that system will see my name. :)

I found this while exploring the earthlike worlds in this great thread, which is well worth checking out for newer explorers: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=175603

Last edited:
Oi!!! that's my region, go find your own! ;)

I'm also finding out that there are quite a lot of systems where someone has honked and left leaving lots of juicy undiscovered waterworlds and gas giants to DSS. Probably just wanted their name on the main star. But like you I also found it was a heck of a lot easier finding pristine systems once I'd got to Synuefe

Thanks for this guide that helped me get started. Finally found yesterday my first (and undiscovered!) Earth-like world thousands of LY from civilized space, that felt good :)

I got a question about neutron stars, is it possible to enter a system if the entry point is a neutron star? Do you exit the jump at safe distance or are you fried right ahead?

Last edited:
Thanks for this guide that helped me get started. Finally found yesterday my first (and undiscovered!) Earth-like world thousands of LY from civilized space, that felt good :)

I got a question about neutron stars, is it possible to enter a system if the entry point is a neutron star? Do you exit the jump at safe distance or are you fried right ahead?

Yes you can, and black holes, just make sure you set throttle to zero before you exit warp!

I just sold all my weapons and armour, kitted myself out with scanners and hit the road with a 26ly max jump.

I've plotted a course out to the edge of the Galaxy, is this an unwise direction?

Which edge? If it's the far edge (as in, the other side of Sag A*), then I'd say yes, unwise, and spend a bit of time exploring more locally, save the cash for something that can jump at least 30Ly, 34 is better, and 38+ is the dream.

Z...

Top Bottom