Guide / Tutorial Nutter’s explorers guide to the Galaxy

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
In the past your excellent tool, thread has been added to EDCodex. Before EDCodex was released on the 17th of August you have received in the period 5th - 10th of August a PM with an invitation and a special link. After registering and logging in you would automatically become owner of your entry. According to the admin tool(s) you haven't used the special link (yet). Perhaps you have missed the PM or have been (temporarily) away from ED. Its also possible you choose not to claim your entry. Note: Its also possible to assign another commander editing rights for your entry. In either case please send us a PM. You can find your EDCodex entry here.

Alternative way to get ownership
The special link will cease to function in the (near) future, for security reasons. Should you after that point want to become owner of your entry you can use the "Claim ownership" button. In that case please send biobob or myself a PM with the email addressed you used for registration - for verification. You can also use this procedure if you no longer have the PM.

What is EDCodex:
Its a website with a database of currently approx 215+ tools,threads,websites,videos for ED. Any one can and is encouraged to add entries there. EDCodex is and should be community-driven. EDCodex companion thread. Its equally suited for PC's, tablets and smartphones and has RSS feeds.

With kind regards,
Biobob
Wolverine2710

Who gets the recognition?....the first person to scan an undiscovered object or the first person to sell the info on undiscovered objects?

Last edited:
Who gets the recognition?....the first person to scan an undiscovered object or the first person to sell the info on undiscovered objects?

The first person to sell it.

And if you're exploring in a Wing, then you'll both get "discovered by," but the first member of the Wing to sell the data will get the bonus, while the other members will get nothing. In short exploring in Wings is not rewarded. All members should get the bonus, and IMHO an additional bonus akin to trading in a Wing.

Is there any information about which ships handle heat dissipation the best?

I've done a few searches both in the forums and out but haven't found anything yet.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! :)

Top thread - more than welcome tips Nutter.

Done some test the water exploration, now heading off to the outer reaches.

What factors in systems do you guys look for as your jumping off/coming back to points aka the system you use as a base (or do you vary them - or is that not a consideration for you)?

My fear is building up pages worth of exploration data then getting wiped out on the way back, what with no hardpoints etc.

High Security (seem to be thin on the ground toward the edge of the known and do they matter - I'm in solo), stations close to stars, outfitting, repairs and refuel I guess are essential and the influence on the faction as considerations too.

(apols if brought up countless times in this thread)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Top thread - more than welcome tips Nutter.

Done some test the water exploration, now heading off to the outer reaches.

What factors in systems do you guys look for as your jumping off/coming back to points aka the system you use as a base (or do you vary them - or is that not a consideration for you)?

My fear is building up pages worth of exploration data then getting wiped out on the way back, what with no hardpoints etc.

High Security (seem to be thin on the ground toward the edge of the known and do they matter - I'm in solo), stations close to stars, outfitting, repairs and refuel I guess are essential and the influence on the faction as considerations too.

(apols if brought up countless times in this thread)

Cheers.

Secure systems are best, but to be honest it does not really matter too much.

Best tip is to ensure you have enough fuel to reach your station of choice, plot a route to the station, then run in non stop to the station. The only chance of interdiction is on the way to your chosen station, so choose a friendly system to reduce the odds.

If you get pulled out of cruise then just surrender then run will all pips to engine and jump.

Why is this not Sticky-ed when Spacecat made something simple recently and was sticky-ed soon after ? Not dissing on the cat but you DESERVE the Sticky too.

Quick query, great guide btw. Your guide quotes neutron stars with a rough value around 35-38k. Later you reference a very useful visual guide (Dubardo's) has markers indicating neutron stars at around 20k value. Which of these values is correct?

This is magnificent! Repped and bookmarked for more intense reading when I'm not stuck in the office!

Well done and thanks to all involved in this glorious compendium of information!

Awesome newbie guide!

But here comes a newbie question: it says if it's a rock, skip it. if it's a star, scan it. if it's a planet, always scan it!

Well, how do I know which is which until I actually scan them???

:)

Thanks!

I'm sure this has probably been noticed before by someone so apologies if I am repeating. I have been away from the game for 12 months for various reasons. Left my Asp orbiting two Earth like worlds thinking it would be ok there. When I finally got back to my ship I discovered it had accumulated 24% damage to the hull. It was 0% when I left. So it looks like your ship will sustain roughly 2% damage per month in space. I suppose I thought that because I wasn't flying around it would be safe but apparently not! So, word of warning...park your ship at a station before you leave the game for a while! ;)

Edit: Well, I think the belief that damage is sustained just by being in space is nonsense. Not sure how I got the damage but it must have been a close encounter I have forgotten. Been out a couple of months exploring now and no extra damage accumulated.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has probably been noticed before by someone so apologies if I am repeating. I have been away from the game for 12 months for various reasons. Left my Asp orbiting two Earth like worlds thinking it would be ok there. When I finally got back to my ship I discovered it had accumulated 24% damage to the hull. It was 0% when I left. So it looks like your ship will sustain roughly 2% damage per month in space. I suppose I thought that because I wasn't flying around it would be safe but apparently not! So, word of warning...park your ship at a station before you leave the game for a while! ;)

Well, I confess this would never have dawned on me but now that you've mentioned it; if you left your car in, say, Heathrow's long term car park for a year I think you might find it in similar condition, with added birds**t. Though your parking bill would be higher than in orbital space.

• AFMU (Repair Unit) optional but NOT recommended currently (Adds to your wear and tear costs and cannot repair critical systems)
I know this was written two years ago, but is this still the case? It is my understanding by what I read that deep explorations pretty much require a repair unit or your efforts will be short lived. I have also read that some folks have two so one can repair the other.

Also, what if I'm in deep deep into the galaxy but want to log in for a day and hop into my docked vulture two thousand lights years away to do some combat. I can't until I fly back to civilization, can I?

Top Bottom