NVIDIA Aftermath: How to provide more information with crashes

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Hi everyone!

We’ve been working hard to try and track down some of the more obscure graphics crashes that some of you might have been seeing and now we need your help.

For anyone who is experiencing crashes when running Planet Coaster and is also using an NVIDIA graphics card, we would like you to try enabling an option to give us a bit more information. To enable this, please make sure you have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed, then right click on Planet Coaster in your Steam library and select “Properties”, from there you will see the "Set Launch Options" button on the General tab. Clicking this will allow you to enter this text exactly: “ -enableaftermath 1” (dash at the start, space before the one).

This will enable NVIDIA’s new Aftermath GPU crash tool next time you play, which will help us track down some of the causes of crashes on all GPUs.

After you have enabled this, if you do experience a crash, please put your email in the crash report pop-up box and also include the word “Aftermath” as well as a short description of what you were trying to do. If you can also post in this thread with your Steam ID number (you can find this here) after the crash, that would be really helpful.

Do note that running Aftermath reduces your game’s performance, so please only turn it on when you’re helping us get more information regarding these crashes!

Thank you all so much for helping us track down this extra information so that we can make Planet Coaster more fun for everyone!

<3
Bo

My game doesn't necessarily crash, it just freezes when I exit to desktop. Doesn't matter if I am in a loaded park or in the main menu. [blah]

My game doesn't necessarily crash, it just freezes when I exit to desktop. Doesn't matter if I am in a loaded park or in the main menu. [blah]

I've noticed that on my ATI graphics card - does yours also cause Steam itself to freeze straight after?

Shane

just an FYI - I use NVIDIA and have no issues, even in a very heavy filled park...knock on wood...

I too have no issues and use a GTX 750 TI OC. Also when I exit the game it does take approx. one minute to completely exit, but it does exit without freezing. As far as the graphic card, I have never had any issues since installing this card with the exception of losing fps only on heavy filled parks.

I too have no issues and use a GTX 750 TI OC. Also when I exit the game it does take approx. one minute to completely exit, but it does exit without freezing. As far as the graphic card, I have never had any issues since installing this card with the exception of losing fps only on heavy filled parks.

Hmm, I never waited that long to see if it actually closes. Still, if it takes one minute to close there must be something wrong.

OK - reason I ask is because I'm wondering if there's something going on regarding the syncing with Steam Cloud.

Shane

Could very well be. Sometimes it takes a few minutes before the syncing even starts. It just stays at 0 KB/s, but I think this has more to do with the Steam servers. But maybe the game wants to wait before closing down until the syncing starts.

Good to see you are working on this, because the random freezes drive me crazy. I am literally saving every 30 seconds because I am afraid to lose any progress. I am also really scared my save is corrupted, because seeing another 150 hours of building time flushed down the toilet..... :( I will gladly take the perfomance loss to help out :)

Could very well be. Sometimes it takes a few minutes before the syncing even starts. It just stays at 0 KB/s, but I think this has more to do with the Steam servers. But maybe the game wants to wait before closing down until the syncing starts.

It could well be I'd say - I've never fully understood the inner workings of that sync system though (it may even be uploading in some compressed format that takes time for it to prepare for upload).

Shane

Aftermath

I set it all up. No idea when I will be playing next though.

For when I do and it crashes my ID is.

STEAM_0:0:19789903

Loving the game BTW, tell them to keep up the good work!

I was able to follow the steps described by Bo to activate the aftermath thing....

Done the steps, then after putting in -enableaftermath 1 i click ok, simply nothing happens, the box simply disappear.

I had only 1 crash since beginning playing the game, and i was able to send a report automatically, so i guess that my settings by default it was already activated.

How do i de-activate it?

After putting in the code i was expecting a check-box to de-activate it to gain performance.....

crash with aftermath enabled

Have a lot more crashes sinds last week. Crash to desktop after 10-20 minutes. Had aftermath enabled on the last crash.

Steam ID : STEAM_0:0:11101

Last edited:
Something is overheating

Have a lot more crashes sinds last week. Crash to desktop after 10-20 minutes. Had aftermath enabled on the last crash.

Steam ID : STEAM_0:0:11101

I seem to have found the issue with my system. The game hardly crashes anymore when I force my fans to run on full speed. Some part of my system must be overheating, haven't found out which part. My CPU and GPU temperatures seem to be fine. So it's probably not a problem with the graphics card, although I would associate overheating with shutdown of the whole system and not just the game.

Got the game since January and I still love it to this day! [heart] Used to be able to play for hours and now I can barely get 30 minutes in before the game crashes. They only started happening a few days ago and I have no idea if it's the game or my hardware.

Anyway, here's my steamID : STEAM_0:0:50955529.

Still a great game though! Thanks devs! [squeeeeee]

Yes, there is software that you can use to up the speed of your fans. This will help with games as the fans will cool the GPU more. I had to spend $200 on a new graphics card with fan a few months ago because the old one was making a loud noise with the fan like it needed to be oiled and with the fan not at full speed the game would make the computer go black after a minute. The new one is pretty quiet. Those of you that are having crashes or game quits up your fan speed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom