Obsidian shenannigans (The Outer Worlds)

So, seems while Beth is angering fans with FO76 and Egosoft is brining out the new X4.. Obsidian is up to its own evil games.

obsidian.png

blogroll-1543435603156_1280w.png

obsidian-spacer-cleo-sci-fi-tyranny-pillars-game-awards-2018-tease-ad-re6.jpg

The Firefly vibes are strong with this one, but so are the Fallout ones :) Guess we'll find out on Dec 6th.

I love Obsidian to death. I'm super anxious about their work with Microsoft. The best thing MS can do is just let Obsidian do their thing, it always works out for the better. MS already have all the money in the world, how about having some game studios making timeless cult classics? :)

They have some of the best writers in the industry, so I'm expecting a single player game that I'm going to play for 20+ hours at a stretch.

Or a phone game, don't we all own own phones?

I love Obsidian to death. I'm super anxious about their work with Microsoft. The best thing MS can do is just let Obsidian do their thing, it always works out for the better. MS already have all the money in the world, how about having some game studios making timeless cult classics? :)
Microsoft usually buys studios to close them down and get their IP. ;)

Microsoft usually buys studios to close them down and get their IP. ;)

Are you sure you're not getting them mixed up with EA there ?
I mean, i am sceptical about their Obsidian acquisition too, but i couldn't really find much of a bad track record with regard to buying out game studios.

Usually people associate games with the developer and/or publisher as an entity, to a lesser degree with the people in charge, writers or artists. Obsidian was not the first or only studio several of those people are associated with, but obviously it requires some amount of effort if there would be another rebuilding required at some point and it is almost certain that successors will spawn or other studios be transformed if people leave for whatever reason. Either way it can be frustrating for consumers and developers.
I think it is one of the benefits of social media that these individual people get more recognition, wasn't it common practice to give the developers practically no credit at all in the 80s?
The point being, as long as games are not scrapped because of it, it is not the worst thing, and even then they might resurface with a different paint. Legends of "what could have been" are sometimes effective tools of promotion, too.
It might be different if a game's appeal is based on a specific IP but in general good ideas resurface in some way.

If that sounds like I think it is already over and what good can be salvaged, that was not intended. Just an observation that more or less cool names, immaterial figureheads or logos are nothing more than a mental crutch to sort things with. And people prefer these crutches to remain useful if established.

EA have buried over 15 studios. FIFTEEN. In that regard MS seem nearly sensible, and being picky about that.
However, I'm still worried for Obsidian. There's hope at least they won't be pressured into making any super questionable monetization decisions for their games, since last thing Microsoft needs more of is more money.

Some of the ill-fated MS studios have themselves to blame too, Lionhead Studios was made a total mess by Molyneux. That said, I'm a bit depressed by InXile being bought over. Wasteland 3 is probably their last Steam/GoG kind of game, anything past that is bound to be WinStore exclusive. Ah well.

Thanks for the link.
Fair enough, there were a few more than i was aware of.
However not all were dissolved, and of those quite a few were sacked over a decade ago, and tbh quite a few of them i've never heard of.
But alright, point taken.
As i said, i am already sceptical, i always am when independent studios get swallowed up by one of the "big ones", i just don't think that article made my worries over the Obsidian acquisition any bigger though.
Let's hope for the best, always liked Obsidian.

So that will be the first Microsoft-published project. Reminds me more of Jules Verne than the Fallout-aesthetic.

Actually from what I gathered over at the Bugsidian forums, this is going to be a game they ironed out pre Microsoft aquisition and the publisher will be Take-Two, in their Private Division (or somesuch) label. Seems there's a bit of excitement over at the forums for this being a game long in planning.

EDIT: And yeah, when I first saw these I had two hits of Nostalgia. Megatraveller, and Space 1889 :)

Actually from what I gathered over at the Bugsidian forums, this is going to be a game they ironed out pre Microsoft aquisition and the publisher will be Take-Two, in their Private Division (or somesuch) label. Seems there's a bit of excitement over at the forums for this being a game long in planning.

Interesting, I expected it to be developed for some time already prior to announcement but I should have expected it already having a publisher. I hope there is nothing odd like "console X exclusive" or similar.

So um, it's Dec 6th now. And past noon in most of the world... Has this announcement happened yet, or are they waiting til Europe goes to bed tonight?

Just checked their site, and there's still more than 7 hours to go... so it'll be tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom