Odessey medpacks

So what about emergency defib equipment on walls? You balance (in that environment) the need for rapid access to kit with security. If in the far future medication is safe, non - abusable (i.e. you can't OD or get addicted to it) then why should it not be in such places? If its nano based (which I think it is based on the VitaDyne lore) its sole purpose is to fix you up and it does nothing else.

It's a game. And who's to say a medpack in 3307 isn't just some kind of miracle gel that you feed into the suit which applies it to your wounds? We'll call it handwavium.

Miracle gel in 2021..
gel.jpg

..so yeah in 3307 people going to have seriously smooth faces

So what about emergency defib equipment on walls? You balance (in that environment) the need for rapid access to kit with security. If in the far future medication is safe, non - abusable (i.e. you can't OD or get addicted to it) then why should it not be in such places? If its nano based (which I think it is based on the VitaDyne lore) its sole purpose is to fix you up and it does nothing else.

I think it's fair enough in the building, health and safety gear on the walls. Medpacks just lying around though, even in a low security military base, where any child or infiltrator can pick them up is the more dubious bit? The power building had level 3 access only?

Those explosive barrels need to be in a locked safety cage for starters, with at least one civilian given the responsibility of managing it and associated health and safety, COSHH and other paperwork (such as stock allocation, rotation and inspection).

Until this is done I cannot accept Odyssey as real enough and utterly reject it.
I believe one of the un-shown mission types is the “Base H&S inspection” - you drop into a base with an ISO 9000 checklist and cause mass panic among the NPCs as they try to get everything sorted while you’re not looking.

I think it's fair enough in the building, health and safety gear on the walls. Medpacks lying around though, in even low security military bases, where any child or infiltrator can pick them up, is the more dubious bit? The power building had level 3 access only?
Defib equipment is all over, outside shops, in communal places for example because its near to where people need it.

But thats my other point- if a medicine can't be harmful then there is no reason to keep it stored away. There are no kids, the base is (what looks like) temporary or prefab and not a giant city.

Plus, in the end its a game- it might be that higher sec bases have less lying about.

I believe one of the un-shown mission types is the “Base H&S inspection” - you drop into a base with an ISO 9000 checklist and cause mass panic among the NPCs as they try to get everything sorted while you’re not looking.
I dearly want to put my old lab coat back on, grab my clipboard and black Biro and get to work on these slackers. Weak SOP application is a disease.

Come on OP. You've never watched a football match where a footballer is apparently crippled for life and rolling around in extreme pain, but then someone wipes a magical sponge over their legs and suddenly they are up and running!

Nothing immersion breaking about that!

Plus, in the end its a game- it might be that higher sec bases have less lying about.

Yeah definitely, higher secuirty than the demo base, it makes more sense. I think it's a just a good point made, that there's a second test after game convenience, context. ED is a game but I think doesn't have to look game-y. Care with context sells the realism that devs have spent a lot of time and effort building.

Yeah definitely, higher secuirty than the demo base, it makes more sense. I think it's a just a good point made, that there's a second test after game convenience, context. ED is a game but I think doesn't have to look game-y. Care with context sells the realism that devs have spent a lot of time and effort building.
The thing is its not that gamey at all- in fact it reminds me of my old job in a hospital where gas cylinders, defib paddles, emergency first aid, keypad / sec access, various dangerous things (liquid helium lines, oxygen etc) were about in various places. If bases were like Mario 64 courses then I'd agree, but they are not.

The thing is its not that gamey at all- in fact it reminds me of my old job in a hospital where gas cylinders, defib paddles, emergency first aid, keypad / sec access, various dangerous things (liquid helium lines, oxygen etc) were about in various places. If bases were like Mario 64 courses then I'd agree, but they are not.

Yes but you were working there?

I doubt I'd be able to walk in - as a member of Joe public - and walk off with a gas cylinder no questions asked. Not that you were either but I mean your access to them is gated.

The medpacks in the secure building (level 3) were fair enough.

The one's laying in a box, on a box in a base, with no gates, where anyone of neutral reputation can wander, no questions necessarily asked, is a bit more dubious? If nothing else surely it's stealing to see someone's bag or meds on a chair and just take them? No fine or anything?

It's a minor thing maybe but still a detail.

Yes but you were working there?

I doubt I'd be able to walk in - as a member of Joe public - and walk off with a gas cylinder no questions asked. Not that you were either but I mean your access to them is gated.

The medpacks in the secure building (level 3) were fair enough.

The one's laying in a box, on a box in a base, with no gates, where anyone of neutral reputation can wander, no questions necessarily asked, is a bit more dubious? If nothing else surely it's stealing to see someone's bag or meds on a chair and just take them? No fine or anything?

It's a minor thing maybe but still a detail.

Hospitals are by and large public places. Defibrillation gear was in every corridor/ restaurant, you have very explosive cylinders being moved and stored in various places, overhead oxygen lines, you had a powerplant / steam turbine room that was largely open (i.e. steam lines went out with only the generator itself behind a locked door). You had eyewash stations in less public places (i.e. outside certain areas but not security locked) etc. Its not like leaving morphine in a lunchbox somewhere but in reality is not that far away.

Hospitals are by and large public places. Defibrillation gear was in every corridor/ restaurant, you have very explosive cylinders being moved and stored in various places, overhead oxygen lines, you had a powerplant / steam turbine room that was largely open (i.e. steam lines went out with only the generator itself behind a locked door). You had eyewash stations in less public places (i.e. outside certain areas but not security locked) etc. Its not like leaving morphine in a lunchbox somewhere but in reality is not that far away.

OK. If this is limited to Military bases - the only one we've seen - where meds are part of a soldier's gear, and ammo packs are the same, I'll happily retract.

What if I walk into an agricultural base of the same base design and find medpacks - as opposed to fruit and vegetables - in the same place? It is only a concern at this point but it could be the difference between relatively thrown in game, play convenience and more carefully detailed world building. Small beer but worth a flag imo.

Come on OP. You've never watched a football match where a footballer is apparently crippled for life and rolling around in extreme pain, but then someone wipes a magical sponge over their legs and suddenly they are up and running!

Nothing immersion breaking about that!
Never saw people do it after bullet hit to body. At most it can stabilize you until doctor comes and takes you out fight.

Top Bottom