Odyssey Going Forwards

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Citing Shigeru Miyamoto "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

IMHO it's the best move You can do now and ensure that the console release will be as good as possible.
Dates are cool but I think that they never should be solid at always should be moved if necessary.

A player community should also understand that moving the release dates is actually a good thing.
It means that developers want to work on better quality and putting more care into the game.
IMHO it's always worth it to wait to get a better game and devs should not be bashed and shamed for moving the dates.

Thanks for the communication, David, and it makes sense to prioritise PC performance and stability prior to porting to consoles. And I agree in thinking this is the correct decision moving forward (Odyssey is blatantly Early Access and had it been labelled so much of the negativity wouldn't have occurred imo).

Can you give any details as to routes that are being taken for this, performance-wise? For example, is DirectX 12 (and/or Vulkan) for Elite on PC (and therefore consoles) being considered?

So that Frontier as a company isn't stretched too thin, are plans for any future unannounced game projects been shelved for now to ensure Elite Dangerous Odyssey, Jurassic World Evolution 2, F1, and Age Of Sigmar, all receive the developer resources they need - Elite Dangerous especially, seeing as it's the only Game-As-A-Service live MMO that you run? The leak a couple of years ago mentioned that ideas for a number of unannounced projects were being bandied around, for example Planet Coaster 2.
I doubt you're gonna get a response to this Stuart, I think we'll be waiting for the next dev update.

That's what the development stream/posts will be for. Let's wait until the end of this month and seeing the next one first before passing judgement yeah.
Heard that last month. Sceptical now, cause Road Map is delayed for 2 weeks now. Could have at least add Road Map for this month until the Developemnt Update 2. That would have been a good bone to chew on. So far it jus same as last month.

This entire message has me hopeful.

I'm thinking first and foremost that this means we'll be keeping Horizons for the foreseeable future which makes me very happy. This entire message makes me feel like they are definitely committed to getting ODE as good if not better than Horizons and until then, we'll keep both. It makes me hopeful knowing they will be pushing to get it there but fearful for the time it's going to take them! In short though I'm happy to keep playing Horizons and I think both my planetary exploration and racing series would probably take place in it. Especially since ODE instancing improvements made their way into Horizons as well. Rebuy Unlimited will be my only activity in Odyssey for the foreseeable future.

For the planetary tech specifically I'm convinced that it will be a big part of it too -- This needs to be Horizons level or better and the fact that they are committed to fix this over the long period coming, makes me hopeful. In the meantime, Horizons baby!

Thank you David Braben and teams for the added clarity!

Heard that last month. Sceptical now, cause Road Map is delayed for 2 weeks now. Could have at least add Road Map for this month until the Developemnt Update 2. That would have been a good bone to chew on. So far it jus same as last month.
What road map is delayed? I didn't know we were getting another one.

Was there some prior announcement about a new roadmap that I haven't read?

This is no doubt frustrate console-only players, but this decision makes a LOT of sense.
Get it right on PC first, THEN port to consoles. Saves having 3 messes.

Now can someone tell me why a settlements alarm panel would be placed in an Agricultural building?? Still trying to wrap my head around that. :)

Am I the only one that read this as "we were going to leave EDO in its broken state till the console launch, but changed are minds because you shouted at us that, that would be a bad idea"?

Am I being too cynical here?

Im glad they're fixing stuff before consoles, but it seemed the (recent) plan was to push a broken EDO to consoles too.

Anyway NMS is on sale and my birthday is round the corner so im off to buy that.

Well, we need (in addition to the bug fixes and updates / reversions)

Engineer blueprint balance pass
Human / Guardian / Thargoid tech balance pass
Unlocking levels balance pass
Powerplay Balance pass + update
Ship balance pass
EDO balance passes
Performance tweaks (like tweak it till the pips squeak tweaking)
Allow more ships in CQC (maybe Guardian stuff, extra arenas)
Look at piracy
Look at C+P
Maybe some FC polish

I'm sure there are more.

EDIT:

Superpower ranks and military careers
More space mission templates

Although I'm loathed to say it, comets.

Last edited:
This entire message has me hopeful.

I'm thinking first and foremost that this means we'll be keeping Horizons for the foreseeable future which makes me very happy. This entire message makes me feel like they are definitely committed to getting ODE as good if not better than Horizons and until then, we'll keep both. It makes me hopeful knowing they will be pushing to get it there but fearful for the time it's going to take them! In short though I'm happy to keep playing Horizons and I think both my planetary exploration and racing series would probably take place in it. Especially since ODE instancing improvements made their way into Horizons as well. Rebuy Unlimited will be my only activity in Odyssey for the foreseeable future.

For the planetary tech specifically I'm convinced that it will be a big part of it too -- This needs to be Horizons level or better and the fact that they are committed to fix this over the long period coming, makes me hopeful. In the meantime, Horizons baby!

Thank you David Braben and teams for the added clarity!
The planetary tech worries me too but i feel hopeful that it will be up to horizons standard when they are done :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom