Odyssey Going Forwards

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Help solve a hypothetical problem in the game.

Given:
a - the game
b - game developer
c - there are a lot of bugs in the game
d - the game was released in 2014
e - game support 10 years

Question:
1) how many years will it take for a developer to fix bugs in this game?
2) how many years will it take for a developer to fill this game with interesting content and mechanics?

P.S.: Or is it impossible to solve this problem because of the many variables?

Last edited:
Help solve a hypothetical problem in the game.

Given:
a - the game
b - game developer
c - there are a lot of bugs in the game
d - the game was released in 2014
e - game support 10 years

Question:
1) how many years will it take for a developer to fix bugs in this game?
2) how many years will it take for a developer to fill this game with interesting content and mechanics?

P.S.: Or is it impossible to solve this problem because of the many variables?

The common theme throughout the life of ED has been that if you don't like what the game already offers nothing that gets added or fixed it likely to make a massive difference.

I already like the game, the freedom to fly spaceships around from place to place and work towards personal goals.
It's never going to be perfect or finished, those are ideals to aim for, not expectations.
Eventually the servers will be shut down so if there is something you enjoy about it that other games don't offer enjoy it while you can because one day you might not be able to any more :)

The common theme throughout the life of ED has been that if you don't like what the game already offers nothing that gets added or fixed it likely to make a massive difference.

I already like the game, the freedom to fly spaceships around from place to place and work towards personal goals.
It's never going to be perfect or finished, those are ideals to aim for, not expectations.
Eventually the servers will be shut down so if there is something you enjoy about it that other games don't offer enjoy it while you can because one day you might not be able to any more :)
Which is a bad situation for sure, because they’re constantly doing things to drive away players who liked the game already. I liked the game before, but now I don’t. It’s because of things they changed for the worse. And according to your theory (which is probably correct), now that I’m someone who doesn't like the game, there’s nothing they can do to fix it.

Which is a bad situation for sure, because they’re constantly doing things to drive away players who liked the game already. I liked the game before, but now I don’t. It’s because of things they changed for the worse. And according to your theory (which is probably correct), now that I’m someone who doesn't like the game, there’s nothing they can do to fix it.
Given for how long you have been unhappy I suspect your best bet would indeed be to stop waiting for a game you haven't enjoyed for years to become fun again.

FDev's revenue from ED focuses on new players, those that stick around become part of the product they are selling so if the existing player isn't buying lots of ARX (ie a die-hard fan), bringing in or creating content for new players they are not encouraged to leave but essentially dead weight financially.

You bought the game (good), probably bought a few skins while you were happy (good) and (I assume) stopped playing so aren't consuming server resources (neutral). If they work to encourage you back you aren't going to buy the game again, and there's no reason to expect you to buy more ARX than a new customer, who will have bought the game.

I enjoy reading your posts, I enjoy reading different perspectives & the only kind of 'dead weight' on the forum is not ex-players imo, only those that attempt to supress or depreciate the views of others.

Wildcard, the game has always been a single-player game based on past single-player games but with an ability to have SOME multi-player interaction. If it had been meant to be a true Massive Multiplayer experience they would have used proper servers not p2p. My understanding is you can’t have anymore than 30 people in an instance and that instance will always be only as strong as it’s weakest link which is the person with the worst internet. After 7 years this is never going to change.

FDev's revenue from ED focuses on new players, those that stick around become part of the product they are selling so if the existing player isn't buying lots of ARX (ie a die-hard fan), bringing in or creating content for new players they are not encouraged to leave but essentially dead weight financially.

You bought the game (good), probably bought a few skins while you were happy (good) and (I assume) stopped playing so aren't consuming server resources (neutral). If they work to encourage you back you aren't going to buy the game again, and there's no reason to expect you to buy more ARX than a new customer, who will have bought the game.

I enjoy reading your posts, I enjoy reading different perspectives & the only kind of 'dead weight' on the forum is not ex-players imo, only those that attempt to supress or depreciate the views of others.
Yeah that mostly makes sense, although it would require an awfully consistent churn rate to work out.

Thing is, they did just release an expansion which I assume they want to sell, so it’s not like keeping existing players happy (or winning back jaded players) is such a bad idea.

Maybe I’m too far gone as a customer to be worth trying to cater to, personally, but I really really don’t think they’re making most of their Odyssey sales off of totally new players, nor are they intending to. That’s something we on the forums tell each other to explain/justify some of the, shall we say, “industry best practices” which seem to have dominated most of their design decisions of late, but I seriously doubt that Odyssey is converting a lot of fence sitters. Maybe if it had been released as a standalone this would seem more plausible, idunno.

Yeah that mostly makes sense, although it would require an awfully consistent churn rate to work out.

Thing is, they did just release an expansion which I assume they want to sell, so it’s not like keeping existing players happy (or winning back jaded players) is such a bad idea.

Maybe I’m too far gone as a customer to be worth trying to cater to, personally, but I really really don’t think they’re making most of their Odyssey sales off of totally new players, nor are they intending to. That’s something we on the forums tell each other to explain/justify some of the, shall we say, “industry best practices” which seem to have dominated most of their design decisions of late, but I seriously doubt that Odyssey is converting a lot of fence sitters. Maybe if it had been released as a standalone this would seem more plausible, idunno.
The issue with all of the Odyssey launch is they have been shown what is wrong, they have had five patches to fix it. All they have done is cosmetically fix some of the issues and they are still not there yet. They apparently have a hundred people on this, what happened they all book holiday at the same time. Or did they all get pinged ;)

So who's ready for another week of all small talk and nothing actually happening? 😅

there might be a ten second mention of something being done with roadmaps and paathways

Yeah and definitley another "we want to say stuff but can't" and then leave us in the void and emptiness
Given we've had years since the end of Beyond for news and roadmaps and it's been piecemeal since then I'm not holding out for a decent roadmap.

FDEV have a bigger issue and that is the Odyssey launch has shaken confidence if their ability to deliver working consistent products in all areas. If they are not careful this could be the last year's of the company. All it takes is customers and development teams to look elsewhere for a different company with a better track record to publish and invest in.

I fully agree with the core PC focus. It will be easy to deal with other platforms once Odyssey is running smoothly on PC. Keep up the good work and thank you for the update. I hope to help out with further development and bug related issues as much as I can.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom