Odyssey in VR is unplayable. Period.

I specifically purchased a Reverb G2 and dual stick setup for Odyssey. I'm hopeful they'll get around to sorting out all the bugs relating to VR as soon as the rest of the game is stable enough.

Definitely sad to see so many new issues come up, like 2D rendering of UI elements, invisible rocks in one eye, etc.

I specifically purchased a Reverb G2 and dual stick setup for Odyssey. I'm hopeful they'll get around to sorting out all the bugs relating to VR as soon as the rest of the game is stable enough.

Definitely sad to see so many new issues come up, like 2D rendering of UI elements, invisible rocks in one eye, etc.
How is the Reverb? I was holding out until I could upgrade me 2080 before I try it. Still playing with my original Rift.

How is the Reverb? I was holding out until I could upgrade me 2080 before I try it. Still playing with my original Rift.
It's an incredible experience. No grid pattern because the resolution is super dense. Inside out tracking is good. Speakers are great.

I am running a 2080Ti and I would recommend that that is the absolute lowest card you should use to run Elite (Horizons) with this because the FPS does drop below 90 even with that one. I am running a constant Steam VR motion smoothing (reduces FPS to 45 and smoothes frames in between - giving an extremely smooth 90 FPS experience) and it works absolutely incredible with it.

I fear with a lower card though (and expecting that an optimised Odyssey still needs some more juice than Horizons) you'll struggle.

It's an incredible experience. No grid pattern because the resolution is super dense. Inside out tracking is good. Speakers are great.

I am running a 2080Ti and I would recommend that that is the absolute lowest card you should use to run Elite (Horizons) with this because the FPS does drop below 90 even with that one. I am running a constant Steam VR motion smoothing (reduces FPS to 45 and smoothes frames in between - giving an extremely smooth 90 FPS experience) and it works absolutely incredible with it.

I fear with a lower card though (and expecting that an optimised Odyssey still needs some more juice than Horizons) you'll struggle.
That's what I expected - a 3090 was on my shopping list, but at these prices. Perhaps the 3080Ti will be a bit cheaper soon (TM).

Thx for the info, makes my decision for it easier, as I won't go the way with binding my Rift to a Facebook account next year :(

That's what I expected - a 3090 was on my shopping list, but at these prices. Perhaps the 3080Ti will be a bit cheaper soon (TM).

Thx for the info, makes my decision for it easier, as I won't go the way with binding my Rift to a Facebook account next year :(
Same here. Currently running a Rift with a 1080 Ti. The Rift will have to go soon. I wouldn't mind buying a Reverb G2 right now, but I know that the 1080 Ti won't cut it for Elite or MS Flight Simulator. And no way I'm going to pay €2000+ for an RTX 3080.

Same here. Currently running a Rift with a 1080 Ti. The Rift will have to go soon. I wouldn't mind buying a Reverb G2 right now, but I know that the 1080 Ti won't cut it for Elite or MS Flight Simulator. And no way I'm going to pay €2000+ for an RTX 3080.
The prices are heavy I could sell my 2080 for more than I paid for originally. And I already was not too happy having to pay 800€ for that card back in the day.

Ah another FS player 🙂

Really a punch in the face for VR players. Stutters all over the place with my 3060ti . If I uninstall this abomination what happens to my Horizon installation?
Didn't they flat out say, and there was much talk, how VR had no support for odyssey, very long time ago? What did you really expect?

Didn't they flat out say, and there was much talk, how VR had no support for odyssey, very long time ago? What did you really expect?
Yes they did, and yes we petitioned them to do something about that.
So they promised us everything we had in Horizon in VR and FPS on a virtual screen. Far from optimal but a start.

But the performance of EDO is so bad, that I nearly can't even play in pancake anymore....

Yes they did, and yes we petitioned them to do something about that.
So they promised us everything we had in Horizon in VR and FPS on a virtual screen. Far from optimal but a start.

But the performance of EDO is so bad, that I nearly can't even play in pancake anymore....
They'll get there. I don't remember a "promise " though

The prices are heavy I could sell my 2080 for more than I paid for originally. And I already was not too happy having to pay 800€ for that card back in the day.

Ah another FS player 🙂
I bought my 1080 Ti in October 2018 for €648. Could probably get €100 more for it if I sold it now, but then I still wouldn't have a new card.

FS and Elite are very similar games to me. After spending a lot more time with FS recently, I had hoped that Odyssey would draw me back to Elite. Well... maybe later this year ;)

I've put my G2 away for now and gone back to my screen...........sad days.

Those of you who are persevering with VR, how are you getting on on foot using a keyboard?
My G2 has no nose gap so have to (or should I say HAD to) keep lifting it.

I bought my 1080 Ti in October 2018 for €648. Could probably get €100 more for it if I sold it now, but then I still wouldn't have a new card.

FS and Elite are very similar games to me. After spending a lot more time with FS recently, I had hoped that Odyssey would draw me back to Elite. Well... maybe later this year ;)
I still enjoy falling asleep in Horizon and crashing in suns :p

I've put my G2 away for now and gone back to my screen...........sad days.

Those of you who are persevering with VR, how are you getting on on foot using a keyboard?
It works, if you know where your controls are, but yes, keyboard gets a bit tedious.

I'm in VR playing odyssey.
Using x56 throttle for on foot with mouse. Works OK....ish...the letterbox panel u get used to.
G2 works fab
I've only got a 2060 so running in high res 2.8k or so per lense ss 1.0 AA smaa anisotropic x4 and medium shadows. Works well. Flying mission running etc no hassle. The hassle comes once l land and use the on foot aspect of the game. Clunky 20fps at best. 55 or so in space. 40 or so near my carrier.
The UI is unstable, clipping errors and worse of all..mouse loses screen. Or locks up.
Galmap was horrible but seems OK now.
Is the pp data all wrong cos everything seems to be - cc

I might be lucky but VR worked OK for me. Some things are less than ideal, like the new shipyard and the weapons shop. But I didn't see major graphical problems beyond what we're seeing in flatland.

One thing I did notice was black square on planet surfaces, just on the periphery of my vision. It's as if the renderer doesn't quite have the full field of vision. Perhaps that's something in the settings for FOV?

I'm in VR playing odyssey.
Using x56 throttle for on foot with mouse. Works OK....ish...the letterbox panel u get used to.
G2 works fab
I've only got a 2060 so running in high res 2.8k or so per lense ss 1.0 AA smaa anisotropic x4 and medium shadows. Works well. Flying mission running etc no hassle. The hassle comes once l land and use the on foot aspect of the game. Clunky 20fps at best. 55 or so in space. 40 or so near my carrier.
The UI is unstable, clipping errors and worse of all..mouse loses screen. Or locks up.
Galmap was horrible but seems OK now.
Is the pp data all wrong cos everything seems to be - cc
Don't you get motion sick with that framerate?

In the brief time before refunding Odyssey I tried both gamepad and keyboad + mouse. Both worked okay-ish.

Gamepad is easier to use without looking, but in the shooting part, I suck at aiming with a gamepad. Not just in Elite, though, so YMMV.

Keyboard + mouse takes some getting used to. I usually use an Elgato Stream Deck for all VR keybindings that are not on my HOTAS. When trying the keyboard, I did hit wrong buttons frequently, but I guess I would have gotten better over time.

In the brief time before refunding Odyssey I tried both gamepad and keyboad + mouse. Both worked okay-ish.

Gamepad is easier to use without looking, but in the shooting part, I suck at aiming with a gamepad. Not just in Elite, though, so YMMV.

Keyboard + mouse takes some getting used to. I usually use an Elgato Stream Deck for all VR keybindings that are not on my HOTAS. When trying the keyboard, I did hit wrong buttons frequently, but I guess I would have gotten better over time.
Oh would you mind sharing your stream deck profile? 😇

Perhaps I can get a few ideas for my setup (also using one)

Top Bottom