Odyssey in VR is unplayable. Period.

On Oculus Risft S, well, something like 40-80 FPS ( i7 7700k / 1080TI ), some drops at 35 when i'm live on twitch, but overall it's not unplayable, FPS and In Ship, it s totaly playable. OFC it ll be better with 90 constant FPS, but anyway, i have play may be 30 hours in VR and i'm not mad.

On Oculus Risft S, well, something like 40-80 FPS ( i7 7700k / 1080TI ), some drops at 35 when i'm live on twitch, but overall it's not unplayable, FPS and In Ship, it s totaly playable. OFC it ll be better with 90 constant FPS, but anyway, i have play may be 30 hours in VR and i'm not mad.
I can't stand such low framerates I get instantly motion sick then :) I have my Rift now since 2017 and still have that problem.

Oh would you mind sharing your stream deck profile? 😇

Perhaps I can get a few ideas for my setup (also using one)
I'd be happy to, but I just deleted it. After losing all my keybindings in Elite (grr...), the stream deck profie became useless, as it was linked to the keybindings.

From the top of my head (I have the 3x5 version):

Top row, left to right:
Back (Stream Deck default function)
Empty
Weapon Group 1
Weapon Group 2
Weapon Group 3

Middle row, left to right:
Toggle silent running
Toggle flight assist
Empty
Toggle external lights
Toggle night vision

Bottom row, left to right
Toggle landing gear
FSD
Toggle cockpit mode
Empty
Empty

I wasn't happy with that profile, though. Especially with the bottom row, as I had those functions also on my HOTAS. For the 2 bottom right buttons, I wanted to script stuff like posting "Can't type, I'm in VR" to the ingame chat, but I never got that to work.

Once I reinstall Horizons (I uninstalled Elite completely to get the Odyssey refund processed), I had planned to search for ideas and inspirations to make better use of the Stream Deck.

I'd be happy to, but I just deleted it. After losing all my keybindings in Elite (grr...), the stream deck profie became useless, as it was linked to the keybindings.

From the top of my head (I have the 3x5 version):

Top row, left to right:
Back (Stream Deck default function)
Empty
Weapon Group 1
Weapon Group 2
Weapon Group 3

Middle row, left to right:
Toggle silent running
Toggle flight assist
Empty
Toggle external lights
Toggle night vision

Bottom row, left to right
Toggle landing gear
FSD
Toggle cockpit mode
Empty
Empty

I wasn't happy with that profile, though. Especially with the bottom row, as I had those functions also on my HOTAS. For the 2 bottom right buttons, I wanted to script stuff like posting "Can't type, I'm in VR" to the ingame chat, but I never got that to work.

Once I reinstall Horizons (I uninstalled Elite completely to get the Odyssey refund processed), I had planned to search for ideas and inspirations to make better use of the Stream Deck.
Ah okay :)
Mine is a "bit" more complicated, but I also use the big version of the deck.

Together with VoiceAttack (ha, I love John DeLancie bickering around :)) that makes for a nice experience I admit. Especialy the "Request docking" macro...

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 35
Ah okay :)
Mine is a "bit" more complicated, but I also use the big version of the deck.

Together with VoiceAttack (ha, I love John DeLancie bickering around :)) that makes for a nice experience I admit. Especialy the "Request docking" macro...
I was torn between the 15 and the 32 key version when ordering mine a few weeks ago. In the end, I went with the 15 key version, because I needed it only for extra key mappings when playing ED or FS in VR. And I was afraid that the big version would make it too difficult to find the right key without looking.

How did you get the macros set up for Elite? I have tried everything to get default chat messages mapped on some of the buttons, but couldn't get it to work as intended.

I was torn between the 15 and the 32 key version when ordering mine a few weeks ago. In the end, I went with the 15 key version, because I needed it only for extra key mappings when playing ED or FS in VR. And I was afraid that the big version would make it too difficult to find the right key without looking.

How did you get the macros set up for Elite? I have tried everything to get default chat messages mapped on some of the buttons, but couldn't get it to work as intended.
The 15 key version would have been enough for me also, I just have a lot more levels for other software on mine.

The macros are tricky, I used a workaround. I have the macro in VoiceAttack and defined a keyboard hotkey there, this hotkey then is bound to the deck. Yeah, ugly, but works as intended and I still get the messages from VoiceAttack that the macro was enabled.

I can't stand such low framerates I get instantly motion sick then :) I have my Rift now since 2017 and still have that problem.
I won't use VR at any framerate under 40 (which my Rift S upscales to 80). Below this is just BAD. This is common knowledge (even upsampled 40 isn't ideal) and a defined industry standard. I refuse the "wisdom" of anyone saying otherwise.

The macros are tricky, I used a workaround. I have the macro in VoiceAttack and defined a keyboard hotkey there, this hotkey then is bound to the deck. Yeah, ugly, but works as intended and I still get the messages from VoiceAttack that the macro was enabled.
That is a brilliant idea! :cool:(y)
(And enough outside-the-box so that I don't have to feel stupid for not getting that idea myself. 😅 )

Thank you! I'm re-installing Horizons as we speak... :LOL:

So, apparently the Rift CV1 is supported again (with all the general sad VR downgrades, of course)?
Because, as far as I can remember, during the Alpha the Rift didn’t work at all (at least in some cases).

I am in an unfortunate position twice.
Neither does VR work (well) nor can I “enjoy” pancake mode without severe limitation. Not only did FDev drop the ball with VR, but somebody also decided, that on-foot gameplay should be limited to 16:9 monitors only.
I do own a 4:3 monitor, though (and I still like it!) and important UI elements are simply cut off.

My sad solution: reducing my 1600:1200 resolution to 1600:1024. The UI elements are still cut, but most parts are at least halveway visible ... but planets are eggs and people cone-heads. And the reduced, non-native resolution harms the picture sharpness quite a bit.

Well done, FDev!
Am I really supposed to purchase a new monitor, just to play ED in a game “mode” I actually don’t even like?

Neither does VR work (well) nor can I “enjoy” pancake mode without severe limitation. Not only did FDev drop the ball with VR, but somebody also decided, that on-foot gameplay should be limited to 16:9 monitors only.
I do own a 4:3 monitor, though (and I still like it!) and important UI elements are simply cut off.

Really? Ouch... Do you have a ticket created for that?

That is a brilliant idea! :cool:(y)
(And enough outside-the-box so that I don't have to feel stupid for not getting that idea myself. 😅 )

Thank you! I'm re-installing Horizons as we speak... :LOL:
Cool, if you want DM me, I was a loner most of the time in ED, but would love to play with other people sometimes.

Yes Odyssey is unplayable for me in VR. And not only because of the horrible performance, it is clearly not finished or polished, some UI elements are not even in 3D, the lightning seems off for some reason... And the flat screen when on foot is nauseating... I have a G2 and a RTX 2070, and Horizons runs smooth as butter @52 % steam res (rughly 2200x2200) and high settings. So I will be sticking to Horizons until they fix this mess...

I'm guessing performance from an empirical standpoint VR performance is bad across the board however, it's subjectively 'playable'. I found the detailing, AA and lack of particle effects made odyssey VR worlds apart from Horizons. Adding in a number of settings made odyssey look fine but the performance was halved in and anywhere near stations and more than halved when on foot in a station and on the ground. Using the external camera when on foot in the station was choppy as hell. While in space I could get 90 FPS when looking up but back to 45 fps when looking forwards / sideways. I noticed the asteroids in the REZ zone also weren't rendering properly, imagine wearing IMAX glasses. Combined with the terrible lighting/contrast issues and it's not fun - given that horizons ran flawlessly.

Running in pancake mode, ultra at 1440 UW and I get 100fps (capped) except for ground settlements and ground CZ - more like 30-40 fps.

i7 9700k
16GB

As it was dropped in the planet tech thread, I will drop it here also:

They are requesting our help to better pinpoint performance issues and UI thingies, they even explicitely ask for VR.

Yes Odyssey is unplayable for me in VR. And not only because of the horrible performance, it is clearly not finished or polished, some UI elements are not even in 3D, the lightning seems off for some reason... And the flat screen when on foot is nauseating... I have a G2 and a RTX 2070, and Horizons runs smooth as butter @52 % steam res (rughly 2200x2200) and high settings. So I will be sticking to Horizons until they fix this mess...
Odyssey, which does appear to using a different engine, doesn't support VR as yet. As with the original version a flat-screen version was originally built, then modified and optimized to support VR. This time round, there clearly wasn't enough time and/or resources to complete even the flat-screen game, so it was clear that the VR version would be little more than the flat-screen game transposed to VR without any modification or optimization. This is why you'll see things like the display, when landing on a pad, looking a bit off - it works in 2D, but add the extra dimension and it goes all funny. I appriciate that they added the flat screen, at the last minute, but ultimately the support for VR is not there.

So I agree, it's not really usable - not even the ship-based play, and I've returned to Horizons. I might pop back into Odyssey periodically, to see what the progress is like, but not too often, as I'm not a big fan of fixing my keybindings every time I return from Odyssey. There seem to be plenty of bugs in Horizons as a result of this upgrade too, BTW. I found that I had suddenly been promoted to Admiral/Duke, both at 100%, the other day, only to realize it was in name only - Horizons now shows the incorrect ranks for me, while Odyssey is showing them correctly. So, all I have to do to check my progress there is log into Odyssey, before logging back into Horizons. And reapplying my keybindings. Again.

First, the visuals are just BAD. Anything that is well-lit (ice planets, station interiors, lit panels of ships) are WASHED OUT. It's blinding. Don't even get me started on the stars that are more toward the white spectrum. Shipyard portion where you select one of your stored ships is broken: I get a nice screwed up view of the interior modeling of my ships. Customizing my suit menus are completely messed up: I see a very small image of the avatar, meanwhile I see tiles supposedly showing me something like "Left Arm <whatever>" but they're really the right arm. Contrasts on planets (whether in SRV or foot) are so bad that it's hard to see what you're doing, much less have anything resembling enjoyment of the new visuals.

I'm a VR-only player, and Odyssey ruins the game. I'm sticking to Horizons.

Umm, didn't FD say that VR wouldn't be supported? Initially at any rate.

Top Bottom