Odyssey is a mess :(

Citation needed. AFAIK it was never explicitly announced that the merge is cancelled. Most hope so, of course.
There is no citation. I wish there was! The "hope" comes from the fact that the original plan for the merge was indeed canceled. Originally Frontier was going to merge Odyssey into Horizons on PC when they released Odyssey on console (you can find this in their official announcement if you do a search). That's when Horizons would become Odyssey Lite on all platforms. Since that announcement, plans changed so that Frontier has now pledged to support Horizons "Legacy" on console for the foreseeable future, which at the very least means that they can do this on PC as well with minimum effort.

Of course it would be mighty swell if Frontier would just make a new announcement about this one way or the other. They seem to be actively hiding from this question, probably because the answer will upset people regardless what that answer is.

I have no idea where you are getting that. Frontier's own roadmap mentions:
Let me clear some things up for you. Horizons does not truly exist for PC anymore. As you mentioned the two have been MERGED unless you want to single Horizons out, but what's the point of buying one car instead of two for the price of one. Console account transfers are for Odyssey not Horizons.
Once again, you are making an ipse dixit argument that either runs contrary to known facts or depends on mere speculation.
When the announcement of cutting Consoles out, it was perfectly clear that they said they were going to cut advancement with Elites future to fixes, bugs, and optimization on both due to the two have already been merged thus a road map up to 2023, at this time they have announced no plans for the future. (There is no information on future road maps of content.)
Once again, you are making an ipse dixit argument that either runs contrary to known facts or depends on mere speculation.
Again, the life span of any title depends on the cost versus cost to run services. Do you seriously not know this?
You are still looking at forum reviews and 3rd party results and not direct stats witch can only be found in public profit information and yearly fund reports. And they are all down by smaller increments but have always been going down. Let's face it, It's an older title. What do you expect?
Again, you need to read review letters from Frontier as was linked. It clearly claims that Elites Horizons and Odyssey are already merged. Where have you been all of this time over the last 1 1/2 years? Frontier Developments title Elite Dangerous will be maintained, continued fixes, and work will still be done with optimization over the next several patches (12, 13, 14). These are expected to be finished by early 2023. There are NO official statements of added content. This information is all directly from Frontier, just read the link that was posted. That is an official Frontier announcement if you didn't know this.

1. I love this title and have played it longer than most of you even knew it existed and will never leave until costs no longer support services.
2. You guys really need to find your information from reliable sources such as, well, uhh, let's say (Frontier Developments public finance and statistics, as they are nice enough to provide, if you know where to look anyway) as they now do communicate more and have given much more detail with information. A road map has been given which mentions its plans to stop for what was mentioned above up to 2023, nothing more. Even in their newsletters they release through Email, if you bother to read them.
Please try to read all of a post and not just what you want to take out of it.

Citation needed. AFAIK it was never explicitly announced that the merge is cancelled. Most hope so, of course.
Well the merge was part of the same plan that had Odyssey being launched on consoles now as that part of the plan has been scrapped and they have said that Horizons will continue on consoles it would be a very optimistic supporter of FDev who wouldn’t expect a change in the merge aspect of the plan as well.

Originally Frontier was going to merge Odyssey into Horizons on PC
Frontier has already merged Horizons and Odyssey. Horizons alone is now titled Beyond. To my knowledge that is what Console account transfers are heading to until the Horizon and Odyssey PC merge gets fixed hence the hult on future expansion with Elite. Like you I would like to see Consoles playable with Elites full merge as well, so let's cross our fingers for that. Elite, sadly, lost a good amount of players due to this so we can only hope right?

Frontier has already merged Horizons and Odyssey. Horizons alone is now titled Beyond. To my knowledge that is what Console account transfers are heading to until the Horizon and Odyssey PC merge gets fixed hence the hult on future expansion with Elite. Like you I would like to see Consoles playable with Elites full merge as well, so let's cross our fingers for that. Elite, sadly, lost a good amount of players due to this so we can only hope right?
No.
Look at your game launcher, especially just after an update, there are separate options for Horizons and Odyssey that require updating separately, there is an option for the old base game as well but that updates with the Horizons version as the base (original) game and Horizons were merged a while ago.

Beyond is merely one of the names of the “seasons” Horizons was expanded by Engineers was another earlier one.

@Old Duck, PC right?
Don't you have the option on Frontiers launcher?
Oh wait, did you buy Odyssey? If you, did you should have the option to run either one. Odyssey does give you all of the Horizons content as well. They've done a pretty good job with merge, but still a few bugs but I've noticed just on missions and not so much performance.

No.
Look at your game launcher, especially just after an update, there are separate options for Horizons and Odyssey that require updating separately, there is an option for the old base game as well but that updates with the Horizons version as the base (original) game and Horizons were merged a while ago.

Beyond is merely one of the names of the “seasons” Horizons was expanded by Engineers was another earlier one.
Yes, you can select to play either Odyssey, Horizons, Arena, or combat training if you bought Odyssey, the only difference is Odyssey already has Horizons content merged within opposed to Horizons solely, considered beyond now, does not give you any of Odysseys content. Horizons or Beyond, so to speak due to playing odyssey, is where Console transfers are going to be placed for now anyway.
Hopefully after the fixes within early 2023 Consoles might be able to continue with Odysses content. Hopefully, Consoles are a pretty big community, sad to see them limited.

Last edited:
Yes, you can select to play either Odyssey, Horizons, Arena, or combat training if you bought Odyssey, the only difference is Odyssey already has Horizons content merged within opposed to Horizons solely, considered beyond now, does not give you any of Odysseys content. Horizons or Beyond, so to speak due to playing odyssey, is where Console transfers are going to be placed for now anyway.
Hopefully after the fixes within early 2023 Consoles might be able to continue with Odysses content. Hopefully, Consoles are a pretty big community, sad to see them limited.
The merge between Horizon and Odyssey just mean that Odyssey's graphic engine and planetary tech would be used in Horizon. And that Horizon and Odyssey cmdrs could play together.

IMO too much misinformation (or to be charitable misunderstanding).

On PC there are still 2 clients, EDH and EDO. Console transfers will give console players a PC account with a free complimentary copy of EDH, and the option to buy the DLC to add EDO to their new PC account.

There is a "roadmap" stretching into 2023, with another 2 updates this year focusing on bug fixes, performance, and the storyline. The Azimuth saga is set to run until November when another storyline is planned to be started. There is key feature overhaul planned for the beginning of 2023, and after that we don't know anything more. To me that neither sounds like maintenance mode nor as the game is dead. I have no doubt that if FDev has decided to kill the game in 2023 they would say so, and I don't think they'd spend efforts on the console transfers if that was the case.

Regarding the merging of clients on PC (EDO lite) we don't know if plans have changed. Yes they keep supporting EDH on consoles so might very well continue to support it on PC too. On the other hand I'd imagine that they'd also like to at least get all PC commanders playing together again, so they might go ahead with the merge once they have fixed performance problems. I think it would be a hard sell and a bad look to force bad performance on many EDH players that are still having good performance on their present hardware.

Of course everyone is free to draw their own conclusions and post that the game is dead, it's in maintenance mode, FDev is evil and incompetent, the gameplay is grindy and sucks, etc, etc. It isn't more than a personal opinion though..

The merge between Horizon and Odyssey just mean that Odyssey's graphic engine and planetary tech would be used in Horizon. And that Horizon and Odyssey cmdrs could play together.
I don't get it then, why has Horizons content changed such as mining is different, trading is slightly different, and planets have lost old content nor are randomly seeded anymore?
My home planet arrangement has even change as well. Old Horizon missions aren't even available anymore.
Are they going to bring these things back with new patches?

Originally Frontier was going to merge Odyssey into Horizons on PC when they released Odyssey on console (you can find this in their official announcement if you do a search).

Yes, I know about that. I'm following the fate of Horizons, because I'd hate to lose it to an Odyssey Lite.

Of course it would be mighty swell if Frontier would just make a new announcement about this one way or the other. They seem to be actively hiding from this question, probably because the answer will upset people regardless what that answer is.

Indeed. Might have something to do with their initial roadmap implication that Horizons users will get to see the low-atmo planets as well, eventually. Which is not going to happen without a merger.

Let me clear some things up for you. Horizons does not truly exist for PC anymore. As you mentioned the two have been MERGED unless you want to single Horizons out, but what's the point of buying one car instead of two for the price of one.
Just checked Steam. Odyssey is still a separate product with a separate price tag and you have to buy Elite Dangerous Horizons in order to use Odyssey. Horizons is $7.49 and Odyssey is $21.99. Both are on sale right now. There is no "two for the price of one" situation. I can buy THREE copies of Horizons for around the same price as one copy of Odyssey.

I don't know if your wording is just confusing or if you're actually wrong, but I'll say this much: you sure haven't cleared anything up.

Yes, this is all true, but they have never said anything about new content with the exception as you said they are working to fix broken things, finally...:) But I really don't think they would openly say nor advertise shutting the title down, that would be suicide.
But after 2023s plan nobody really knows anything, but we can all cross our fingers that Consoles coming back will help draw attention again. Hopefully!

I don't know if your wording is just confusing or if you're actually wrong, but I'll say this much: you sure haven't cleared anything up.
Again, you're using 3rd party information and not official Frontier facts. Steam has no idea what Frontier is doing as it's just a retailer of sponsored products. Steam doesn't care about what Frontier does. Frontier wants sales so Steam does what they say.

Steam relies on its own sales and its own reviews from its own information, they don't gather Frontiers statistics.
That's pretty much straight forward.
Do you even know how the gaming industry works with 3rd party retailers and why some companies don't use Steam?
Maybe you should start by learning how sponsors and retailers work first.

It seems they had no problems announcing the end of development for consoles, and that even before considering account transfers..

But yes, 2023 could indeed be the year that the game died.

Last edited:
But Consoles are just a portion of the client base. Saying they are going to just hang it up and end the games future would kill Frontiers entire client base for both Consoles and PCs. This would force everyone to find a new title knowing Elite is shutting down, wouldn't you think?

I sure hope it doesn't shut down in 2023...:)
2nd best title I've ever loved...lol

Just checked Steam. Odyssey is still a separate product with a separate price tag and you have to buy Elite Dangerous Horizons in order to use Odyssey.
Slightly off topic:

Do you need to purchase both Horizons and Odyssey to get access to all content in Odyssey?

I own both, and only need to install Odyssey for full access to everything. Frontier's game store doesn't specify if you need to purchase Horizons.

Edit: sorry, just answered my own question. You gotta click on the product to see what you need. Time for another cup of coffee.
  • Base EDO purchase does not come with Horizons, and must be purchased separately. The Commanders Edition comes with it.
  • The game store calls the base game (ED Horizons) "Elite Dangerous". That's a bit confusing.
  • From my experience (see above) you need to purchase both but only need to install Odyssey.
elite dangerous store.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom