Odyssey is a mess :(

Said it before and I'll say it again. I've been playing Odyssey since it launched. It is enjoyable to me. Has it had problems, absolutely! I guess I just don't get hung up on having a few issues in a game that I absolutely enjoy...life is a big series of experiments...hopefully 80 years long or so...
Well, some people have just different experiences. e.g. I'm not obsessive enough to bother about a score of different carelessly designed ingredients.

It's a shame Epic don't split out Odyssey in their rating system - would be good to get the view without the launch review bombing it got

1656433620896.png

So ODY is actually good, runs very performant on PC and consoles and the gameplay was significantly increased? It wasn't sold in alpha state to customers? (I'd say they were actually honest about that in their corpspeak way, but ppl just don't read between the lines). It didn't invalidate its long-standing USP of interesting and diverse procgen by introducing easily identifiable repeating patterns like in a cheap map generator with the new procgen algo?
In the end the whole size of the world was oversize from the start and more a narcistic relic of "we can do it" rather than "is that sensible game design" but at least now it repeats itself ad nauseam.
And it probably introduced new and fresh gameplay so we can enjoy new experiences from a new perspective?
It's not May 2021, it's time to break out of the Groundhog Day stuff, let it go dude, you sound way too angry. All of these points have been discussed to death, some aren't relevant anymore.

Instead of bumping all the negative threads (which would probably have died out by now if not for your very active participation), why not rather create your own positive threads? This forum has been kinda boring of late, and nature abhors a vacuum.. Go forth and fill it with flowers rather than water the weeds!
I agree, it's troll bait and all participation adds to it, but there's a cadre of familiar faces that likes to dog pile so it won't just die. My point is that emotionally charged and misleading thread titles aren't engaging in the forums in good faith.

I've actually enjoyed lurking in the positive thread about exploration:

(Though even there the fanatics feel the need to take potshots at other non-participating forum members, thus derailing the positive nature of that thread)
I don't think I've replied to that thread but I've read it and it is a refreshing change, I agree. It is a good sign that some are feeling confident in expressing their positive opinions without it being dogpiled into doom.

EDIT; I will add Old Duck, that I have been pretty active in the Suggestions section and I hope my contributions there count as positive. o7

Last edited:
Since Frontier Development announced that Elite Dangerous is DEAD and will not receive any new attention or expansion and is to be dropped, can someone with "real" information respond on what is next?

I'm not up to date with the future of Elite with the exception that Frontier Development (tucked tail and ran from its problems) thus pretty much announced Elite is a dead game and will receive no further work and is just going to let the game die as is. (Very Disgraceful, Low, and Cowardly Act For Those Of Us That Will Never Purchase Any Title With Frontier Developments Name Mentioned, Or Even Associated With).
Truly disheartening coming from a truly dedicated supporter of Frontier Development as a respectful company. Well, was anyway.

Nevertheless, Elite WILL get bulled over in the worst way very soon, but I still love to play this title so will they truly keep working on game bugs or just cowardly abandon the title and shut servers down with no warning.
God knows I never thought I would ever say these things. 8,700 hours of love and the only title played since release in 2015....:(

I'm not mocking Elite Dangerous Horizons nor Odyssey as I've been true and dedicated from the vanilla release, but truly the trust and respect is COMPLETLY GONE due to how they ended it and the way they did. So, can anyone with any kind of information that isn't from forums, google, or 50,000 links explain what the timeline is or when dooms day comes?

That you for any kind of feedback, if anyone even has anything worthwhile to reply without Trolling or Toxic mocking of this post.
See you in the black I hope....o7

So ODY is actually good,
A little too enthusiastic I would say fairly good for the bits I play, missions I hear are more problematic.
runs very performant on PC
I played it since launch on an underspecced laptop and it performance was no worse than at the crystal shard sites in Horizons. New overspecced laptop runs it superbly.
and consoles
Now don't be a troll.
and the gameplay was significantly increased?
Definitions of gameplay? Walking, shopping, plant hunting. So now it is down to how significant they are.
It wasn't sold in alpha state to customers? (I'd say they were actually honest about that in their corpspeak way, but ppl just don't read between the lines).
No it was sold in a defective state not as test item.
It didn't invalidate its long-standing USP of interesting and diverse procgen by introducing easily identifiable repeating patterns like in a cheap map generator with the new procgen algo?
I have heard the claims and seen the pictures in the forums but thios one hasn't been obtrusive enough to upset me so far, maybe it will now I have better graphics.
In the end the whole size of the world was oversize from the start and more a narcistic relic of "we can do it" rather than "is that sensible game design" but at least now it repeats itself ad nauseam.
And it probably introduced new and fresh gameplay so we can enjoy new experiences from a new perspective?
Well at least we can buy the new kit with enough engineering on it so we don't need to visit the engineers so don't have to grind for materials or access.

Instead of bumping all the negative threads (which would probably have died out by now if not for your very active participation), why not rather create your own positive threads? This forum has been kinda boring of late, and nature abhors a vacuum.. Go forth and fill it with flowers rather than water the weeds!

I've actually enjoyed lurking in the positive thread about exploration:

(Though even there the fanatics feel the need to take potshots at other non-participating forum members, thus derailing the positive nature of that thread)
Yes, IME just as a negative thread brings out the white knights, a positive thread brings out the black nights..? 🤷‍♂️

When did they ever announced that?
Frontier Development has already announced that they are no longer continuing any further future work on Elite just as they announced that consoles were never going to be coded for Odyssey anymore. Consoles just don't have the power nor recourses to run Odyssey, nor did Frontier want to continue working with two types of Elite. One coding team for PC and one coding team for Consoles hence the bad news of dropping Consoles. Bad for Console players huh?

As for now Frontier Development is going to maintain Elite such as bugs fixes, maintenance of servers but nothing more is going to become of this title until money falls below the cost of running servers then sadly, they will eventually be taken down permanently and Elite will no longer be playable. Not to say this is going to happen tomorrow but running costs will dictate that.
It's kind of like if you don't have any money to maintain your car, is there really any reason to keep the car?
Let's not forget that Elite is almost a 10-year-old title that was "complete destroyed" with its introduction of Odyssey then cutting Consoles out of the picture. Really doesn't look good in any kind of future. "shrug"

Elite Dangerous Horizons = Overwhelming reviews ------- Elite Dangerous Odyssey = Mostly Negative reviews, sadly that's a game killer in the eyes of any consumer.

It's too bad there was never some type of map coded for installation on a PC so it doesn't need a server, just your own computer, but that's wishful thinking for a PC in comparison to a server is just not realistic.
Yes, that has been in plans for almost 6 months when Frontier finally just decided Consoles just couldn't hack the power needed for Odyssey so they offered Console accounts to be transferred to PC platforms for free with serious discounts. This is not new news. That's why Console players are so angry, thus the decision to just let Elite go. Consoles have been completely severed from Odyssey. But that's why I spent hard earned money on a PC is to play the big games. I'm sorry Console players but your platforms will NEVER compete with the big PC platforms.

I was just hoping for good news, but Console transfers aren't anything new, but they are advertising in that link you provided for me is nothing new and provides a road map to do exactly what I mentioned. They are fixes and maintaining plans with Odyssey for PCs in what hopes to be 22 to early 23, nothing more. The rest of the link is about updates 12-14 PC fixes and incentives for Console accounts and discounts to switch to PCs.
Trouble is there is no road map past the know PC fixes for Odyssey into early 23.
I guess I've had my answer to my first post, but I'll still try to be positive...:)

Please. All Console players planning to switch pay close attention to the fine print of @Jack Winter's link. You need to decommission your carriers 2 weeks in advance to re-buy them after switch and ARX will NOT transfer so use them.
Not the greatest news but it's what we have and hopefully servers will stay up for years to come, because I love this stupidly addictive game. LOL..:)

Last edited:
Frontier Development has already announced that they are no longer continuing any further future work on Elite
I have no idea where you are getting that. Frontier's own roadmap mentions:

"Our three focuses before the year ends are launching the next phase of the narrative, stability and optimisation. We’ll release three more updates to support these. Within the narrative, human space balances on the precipice as tension mounts within the bubble. The Azimuth Saga will conclude in a grand finale event, the consequences of which will mark the beginning of the next stage of the Elite story in Update 14. Meanwhile, updates 12 and 13 will largely focus on quality-of-life changes, stability and optimisation. Work has also begun on a major feature overhaul for 2023 that we’ll discuss later in the year. Please note that the details and timings of each release are subject to change and that any adjustments will be shared ahead of time. Beyond this we are also discussing additional game content, and we’ll reveal it once confirmed."

You might not like the announced content or might find it deficient, but to just handwave it away because it doesn't comport with your doom narrative is silly, frankly.

As for now Frontier Development is going to maintain Elite such as bugs fixes, maintenance of servers but nothing more is going to become of this title until money falls below the cost of running servers then sadly, they will eventually be taken down permanently and Elite will no longer be playable.
Once again, you are making an ipse dixit argument that either runs contrary to known facts or depends on mere speculation.

Let's not forget that Elite is almost a 10-year-old title that was "complete destroyed" with its introduction of Odyssey then cutting
It was? Really? Horizons currently enjoys 63K mostly positive reviews overall, and 484 mostly positive recent reviews on Steam. And while Odyssey currently has 6450 mostly negative reviews on Steam - the majority of which were accrued in the wake of last year's dreadful unforced error of launching the game a year too soon, Odyssey currently enjoys a mixed rating of 70 recent reviews. And while player counts have certainly been healthier is the years leading up to Odyssey, the game still enjoys over 3400 average players over the last 30 days (without counting consoles, Frontier's or Epic's player population numbers).

Don't misunderstand: I think your skepticism about the future of Elite is fully understandable, but things are not as black as you portray them. Look at it this way: things could be worse - Frontier could have sold the rights to Elite to Pearl Abyss. :LOL: Seriously, whenever you feel down on Elite, head over to Eve Online's forums and enjoy the schadenfreude!

Frontier Development has already announced that they are no longer continuing any further future work on Elite

It's too bad there was never some type of map coded for installation on a PC so it doesn't need a server, just your own computer, but that's wishful thinking for a PC in comparison to a server is just not realistic.

What the heck are you talking about? Your rambling makes no sense. Google translate issues maybe?

Frontier Development has already announced that they are no longer continuing any further future work on Elite just as they announced that consoles were never going to be coded for Odyssey anymore. Consoles just don't have the power nor recourses to run Odyssey, nor did Frontier want to continue working with two types of Elite. One coding team for PC and one coding team for Consoles hence the bad news of dropping Consoles. Bad for Console players huh?

As for now Frontier Development is going to maintain Elite such as bugs fixes, maintenance of servers but nothing more is going to become of this title until money falls below the cost of running servers then sadly, they will eventually be taken down permanently and Elite will no longer be playable. Not to say this is going to happen tomorrow but running costs will dictate that.
It's kind of like if you don't have any money to maintain your car, is there really any reason to keep the car?
Let's not forget that Elite is almost a 10-year-old title that was "complete destroyed" with its introduction of Odyssey then cutting Consoles out of the picture. Really doesn't look good in any kind of future. "shrug"

Elite Dangerous Horizons = Overwhelming reviews ------- Elite Dangerous Odyssey = Mostly Negative reviews, sadly that's a game killer in the eyes of any consumer.

Yes, that has been in plans for almost 6 months when Frontier finally just decided Consoles just couldn't hack the power needed for Odyssey so they offered Console accounts to be transferred to PC platforms for free with serious discounts. This is not new news. That's why Console players are so angry, thus the decision to just let Elite go. Consoles have been completely severed from Odyssey. But that's why I spent hard earned money on a PC is to play the big games. I'm sorry Console players but your platforms will NEVER compete with the big PC platforms.

I was just hoping for good news, but Console transfers aren't anything new, but they are advertising in that link you provided for me is nothing new and provides a road map to do exactly what I mentioned. They are fixes and maintaining plans with Odyssey for PCs in what hopes to be 22 to early 23, nothing more. The rest of the link is about updates 12-14 PC fixes and incentives for Console accounts and discounts to switch to PCs.
Trouble is there is no road map past the know PC fixes for Odyssey into early 23.
I guess I've had my answer to my first post, but I'll still try to be positive...:)

Please. All Console players planning to switch pay close attention to the fine print of @Jack Winter's link. You need to decommission your carriers 2 weeks in advance to re-buy them after switch and ARX will NOT transfer so use them.
Not the greatest news but it's what we have and hopefully servers will stay up for years to come, because I love this stupidly addictive game. LOL..:)
From what i understand, the console port of Odyssey is cancelled, the merge between Horizon and Odyssey is cancelled, Horizon goes into maintenance mode instead and Odyssey will continue to evolve and get new content/features. For me, this simply means that only the optimisation of Odyssey is dead.

It is enjoyable to me.
Of course it's enjoyable. All the taste are in the Nature, even the worst. 😅

Top Bottom