Odyssey Progress (2)

Greetings CMDRs,

Here’s a further update on where we are with Odyssey, and to keep you updated on our progress and our investigations, and talk a little about our next steps. This will be a long post, but please bear with me.

Firstly, once again I apologise for the experience many players have had running Odyssey, particularly the server issues and disconnects. Despite careful server spooling up anticipating significant demand, they were still overloaded. After a good deal of investigation, the main cause of this proved to be to do with Fleet Carriers and the systems they use. I’ll try and explain the gist of what the problem was, how we found it, and why it didn’t show during the public Alpha. The whole team are working incredibly hard to resolve the issues as quickly as possible and improve player’s experiences and this is part of that process.

As you probably know, we split Horizons and Odyssey into two sets of servers – with the plan to keep it that way until we ship Odyssey on console. Fleet Carriers exist in both ‘worlds’ and when a Fleet Carrier jumps, this (and all the players on board) are kept in sync between the two galaxies. Due to a bug with them, significant amounts of data were going back and forth between the two worlds unnecessarily, and this loop between the sets of servers simply mounted up and started bringing servers down or blocking them (resulting in many players getting disconnect errors). This is why we stopped Fleet Carriers jumping, and immediately we saw a significant improvement overall. There were other issues too with this subsystem, keeping the BGS and other things in sync between the ‘worlds’. Once we had a solid fix for the Fleet Carrier and sync issues we deployed it to the servers, and re-enabled Fleet Carriers jumping. This was compounded by the fact we had a record number of concurrent players, so the servers were already working hard. Initially we thought this was the effect we were seeing – that the high number of players was the main issue - but eventually some very smart people determined what was happening with Fleet Carriers.

Turning to the subject of performance, first of all I’d like to provide some background. When we first set the min specs for Elite Dangerous (back at the time of the Kickstarter in 2012) we made the assumption that for low-spec machines the game was playable as long as the frame rate was above 30 fps, with 60 fps for higher spec machines. Over the subsequent weeks and months after release in 2014 we optimised the game significantly. We had a similar thought process for Odyssey, especially considering that the lower spec machines will tend to be five years old or more, or be laptops, that 30 fps would be acceptable as a minimum spec performance. Separately, we have heard reports of very high spec machines failing to perform as expected. We believe this is a different issue, possibly CPU-related, and are looking into that too, as we speak.

We will get to the bottom of the performance issues, particularly with the support of the community who are already providing useful information.

Elite has always been about scale and ambition. With this latest, and biggest, expansion the team have taken on an amazing challenge. The whole galaxy in 1:1 scale, now down to the millimetre. Millions of players interacting with each other and many millions of AI game characters on billions of worlds, all orbiting around each other in an incredibly rich galaxy-wide ballet. I truly believe the team have created a milestone in modern video game history. This is not a static arena shooter where all the players join at the start, but where players are continually joining, leaving, travelling between servers alone and in groups, and so many other things. It is a real shame this incredible achievement is somewhat overshadowed by the issues we have been seeing. We remain committed to improving everyone’s experience. In the words of JFK: “We choose to go to the moon this decade and do the other things… not because they are easy, but because they are hard.”

So what are we doing to fix the issues?

As mentioned above, the team have been working incredibly hard to support and fix critical issues. They have already made good progress with three hot fixes and many server tweaks too, but we can see there is still more to come. Disconnects are now greatly reduced, despite record concurrent player numbers.

As already explained, the performance issues may take a little longer to resolve, and we greatly appreciate your patience.

Our plan is to publish a road-map by 4th June as we continue to push forward addressing issues, including giving some details on specific improvements, building upon the fixes the team have already made.

Thank you and my apologies again for the bumpy start to Odyssey.
Hello David what will happen to soloprivate cheaters who influence openplay and do not receive any punishment for it? And will the influence on the BGS be removed from the soloplay?

Deleted member 121570

D
Doesn't really matter whether David reads them or not, he gave a response and reasons behind the issues so it's up to us here to accept his views or not, doesn't really matter at the end of the day though.
I quite agree tbh. Whether anyone here accepts his 'views' or not is competely irrelevant. So too were anyone's expectations of a working product of any quality prior to their purchase of it. Instead of a good game, we get an apology and more waiting around, out of pocket, with this dumpster fire to warm our hands on and watch the pretty flames. :D

Dear Frontier please leave that Odyssey in the dumpster where it belongs and do not merge it with horizons. Make them two separate games. For the love of God please do not merge the two. If you do i feel this will be the final nail in the coffin and will cause long time players like myself to abandon the game. I already know of numerous others who feel the same and are ready to call it quits if you mess this up.

We bought Elite as a completed game. Forcing a BROKEN dlc's "Improvements" to Base game is going against what is a Completed game. If your company goes forward with this decision you need to change the game to early access and refund everyone who bought the game as complete. Then if we decide we want the game we can buy it back at a EARLY ACCESS price

With all due respect, the year is 2021 and a big part of the marketing push to generate appeal for Odyssey is for first person shooter combat gameplay, including much of the promotional streams, trailers and gameplay insight. That means you're competing on the same playing field as games like Apex, PUBG, Fortnite, Battlefront, Battlefield, COD where 60 frames/s is the minimum standard for FPShooter combat. With a much higher level of graphical quality return on the spec of machine needed to get those sorts of frame rates.

30 frames may be considered as an acceptable minimum spec performance for purely visual gameplay, but for entering into an FPShooter market share with that preconception, it seems woefully out of touch.

What's more, any of those other FPShooter games I listed above will get much better graphical quality, with better frames, for the spec of computer I'm running. As it stands I'm on low to medium settings, 1080p, and in conflict zones I get mid-20s with occasional dips to 10 frames/s. Which in no way meets the standard expected of a product marketed as ready for commercial release.
No sir not sure where you got that idea but the FPS in Odyssey is NOT meant to compete with FPS shooters like Apex, Pubg, Valorant, or any of the others.
I do agree with your point that performance should improve across the board with a special emphasis on low and mid-tier hardware.

Deleted member 192138

D
I quite agree tbh. Whether anyone here accepts his 'views' or not is competely irrelevant. So too were anyone's expectations of a working product of any quality prior to their purchase of it. Instead of a good game, we get an apology and more waiting around, out of pocket, with this dumpster fire to warm our hands on and watch the pretty flames. :D
Wrong time of year to need support with the winter fuel allowance.

Too little too late from me. I've uninstalled the game dlc and may come back in a few years to it when it's actually maybe fixed. There are still bugs from the original release in the game that FDev has addressed but refused to fix and we expect them to fix the multitude of bugs before console release? That's laughable at best. This whole story of "we're sorry, we'll release a roadmap and fix all the bugs" is a waste bc it'll go on until FDev's fiscal year is up in June and then we'll never hear another peep from them about the issues again.

Deleted member 192138

D
No sir not sure where you got that idea but the FPS in Odyssey is NOT meant to compete with FPS shooters like Apex, Pubg, Valorant, or any of the others.
I do agree with your point that performance should improve across the board with a special emphasis on low and mid-tier hardware.
If they want to pull in audience from people looking for first person shooter gameplay, which is what the conflict zones are targeted at along with a number of the missions, then yes they should have awareness of what products are capable of achieving on the market that are already appealing to that audience. Otherwise, both the existing Elite players and potential audience that are looking to scratch that itch of gameplay will instead go play Destiny, Titanfall, or whichever other established game in the genre that provides well for that experience.

This is basic market research level knowledge. It is not all that Odyssey is trying to do, but if it's advertising at least partially on the basis of this, then it should be aware of what market expectations there will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all due respect, the year is 2021 and a big part of the marketing push to generate appeal for Odyssey is for first person shooter combat gameplay, including much of the promotional streams, trailers and gameplay insight. That means you're competing on the same playing field as games like Apex, PUBG, Fortnite, Battlefront, Battlefield, COD where 60 frames/s is the minimum standard for FPShooter combat. With a much higher level of graphical quality return on the spec of machine needed to get those sorts of frame rates.

30 frames may be considered as an acceptable minimum spec performance for purely visual gameplay, but for entering into an FPShooter market share with that preconception, it seems woefully out of touch.

What's more, any of those other FPShooter games I listed above will get much better graphical quality, with better frames, for the spec of computer I'm running. As it stands I'm on low to medium settings, 1080p, and in conflict zones I get mid-20s with occasional dips to 10 frames/s. Which in no way meets the standard expected of a product marketed as ready for commercial release.
Sorry but NO.

these games can only do ONE thing: shooting.
these games must only render areas of roughly 400 x 400 m,
no wonder it looks better!
You cant compare this!

Deleted member 192138

D
Sorry but NO.

these games can only do ONE thing: shooting.
these games must only render areas of roughly 400 x 400 m,
no wonder it looks better!
You cant compare this!
I don't care what the background of the game is doing - I care about the gameplay experienc. It's down to Frontier to figure out how to make their scope fit into creating an enjoyable gameplay experience, or adjust their scope to match the potential they can achieve. When you pick up a mission to a settlement, or you enllist for a conflict zone, it's entirely irrelevant to your gameplay experience how many km of planet are being generated in the background because you won't be going to visit that.

If they want to pull in audience from people looking for first person shooter gameplay, which is what the conflict zones are targeted at along with a number of the missions, then yes they should have awareness of what products are capable of achieving on the market that are already appealing to that audience. Otherwise, both the existing and potential audience that are looking to scratch that itch of gameplay will instead go play Destiny, Titanfall, or whichever other established game in the genre that provides well for that experience.

This is basic market research level expectations. It is not all that Odyssey is trying to do, but if it's advertising at least partially on the basis of this, then it should be aware of what market expectations there will be.
For Elite, in all its incarnations, ship combat, trade, exploration and maybe mining are the focus. Every other system in the game is meant to complement \ enhance the core loops. If you bought ED for FPS combat only, expecting COD, Valorant, Apex-like experience you are sadly mistaken.

FPS is what those games do and do well, and that is all they do!

Greetings CMDRs,

Here’s a further update on where we are with Odyssey, and to keep you updated on our progress and our investigations, and talk a little about our next steps. This will be a long post, but please bear with me.

[snip]

Our plan is to publish a road-map by 4th June as we continue to push forward addressing issues, including giving some details on specific improvements, building upon the fixes the team have already made.

Thank you and my apologies again for the bumpy start to Odyssey.
A road map, that will be a novelty.

I must say this new community bod, errr David Braben, is very knowledgeable :)

I also think you should limit the amount of carriers in systems as well while you're on, thre is a lot of players hogging systems with their carriers and its been like that since the launch of fleet carriers. Force them to move or reduce the quanitity of carriers in a system, that may well help with performance too
Or fix things so more carriers can fit in a system. And then have the sysmap get a filter to not display carriers.

If I can make a suggestion...

It would be very practical to put a suit charging terminal on the landing gear of our ships, so that we can recharge without having to actually board.
Same with the SRV.

Spoken like someone who's never played any of the games mentioned previously, as they do far more than that, far more than Elite.
I play a lot of comp shooters. He's absolutely right, you're out of your mind if you think you can compare a standard Apex match to whats happening in the CZ in terms of background actors and info that have to be shared.

Back
Top Bottom