Odyssey Progress

The reason that I am annoyed at the lack of a "save as " button and the abandonment of the manual at version 2.4 of the game (still linked on the launcher) so that it is a) wildly out of date and b) full of inaccuracies (see the engineering section!) is that these show a disrespect to the customer (us). Bear in mind that Elite Dangerous and Horizons carry a PEGI 7 rating (Odyssey is PEGI 16) - so if the game is targeted at (or should at least accommodate) such young users then firstly the manual should be at least usable and the game should be capable of being used to the full without "modding" or file editing.

As I said - it smacks of a certain lack of respect for the customer, a "lackadaisical" approach if you will.
Jup. You got a point there. Being that I started complaining about the lack of a "save as"-option here in the first place. There seems to have been always something more urgent. I mean, wasn´t there ever no technical issue? On the other hand, there is a ton of games that don´t offer to save bindings as a readable file, so it´s not as if this is outrageous. It´s just the combination with the frequent loss of key bindings that´s nagging me. I was just asking for a workaround that I thought would be easier to implement than fixing the thing to frigging keep my bindings over patches or hardware changes, which would be ideal.
The manual..hm. I think I never looked at it. I figured things out on the go or from the forums/wiki, as I am just used to. For me, that is part of the fun. I still find new things to try.

Last edited:
Couldn't we have an "external tool" that just copied your favourite key binding to a backup file and then restored them as required?

@sallymorganmoore Just an idea but simular to the issue tracker there could be a page where the community can request small quality of life changes. It would work the same way but with QoL suggestions. You can vote for your top 6 and only people with accounts can vote (so people without the game can't vote). Quality of life changes are small changes that generaly make playing the game more enjoyable. For example adding more bookmarks would be one of them (I know this is coming, just using it as an example). The top x amount of voted suggestions could be implemented in a QoL update. Seeing how much the community gets angry over small stuff like long waiting timers or missing some sort of button this could really help everyone out.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous

sallymorganmoore

@sallymorganmoore Just an idea but simular to the issue tracker there could be a page where the community can request small quality of life changes. It would work the same way but with QoL suggestions. You can vote for your top 6 and only people with accounts can vote (so people without the game can't vote). Quality of life changes are small changes that generaly make playing the game more enjoyable. For example adding more bookmarks would be one of them (I know this is coming, just using it as an example). The top x amount of voted suggestions could be implemented in a QoL update. Seeing how much the community gets angry over small stuff like long waiting timers or missing some sort of button this could really help everyone out.

Hello!! Honestly, it's great to read all feedback and ideas around this so thanks for sharing :)

Oh my gosh I remember this Manual so well from back in 2016 when I first started! It BLEW MY SOCKS OFF seeing it then and never fails to do so again now you've reminded me of it, haha!! Imagine that coming with a boxed version or something?
Were there even boxed versions after the initial release? I do have a printed V1.03 of the manual here though, from the boxed copy I got :D

Hello Sally, here I have one issue (mission type related) which may need only small update in text description: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/17643 It is legal raid mission vs local criminal faction which have often their base (settlement) disabled and one from previous patches added there pirates (factionless) to prevent easy/fast damage vs such faction. Players often dismiss such mission because mission description say search for target only in local odyssey settlements (controlled by target mf), but do not know that criminal faction npcs appears also on local planetary pois like crash sites etc.

Side note: would be good to discuss (internally) how much have notoriety (not only) changed players interest to concentrate their effort purposely against local criminals while gather materials for upgrading onfoot gear. It’s easily checked fact that most of local criminal faction have in systems ‘stable’ 1% influence because they are targeted by masses. Good game needs balance (criminal vs non-criminal) which imo not works well right now. I only fear that this particular theme (balance) affects whole game, not only odyssey content (but in odyssey case is there huge difference… players have much more reasons to target primarily criminal minor factions, even unintentionally.

Last edited:
@sallymorganmoore Any idea why the autopilots are so much worse than they used to be?

The docking computer just flew me into the blunt end of Freedom's Voice, which is why I just remembered to ask. I've also had several occasions in the last couple of months where the ship has managed to miss the mailshot on the way out, and I also notice that Apex has a tendency to collide with the rings on Orbis stations if arriving from behind.

sallymorganmoore

@sallymorganmoore Any idea why the autopilots are so much worse than they used to be?

The docking computer just flew me into the blunt end of Freedom's Voice, which is why I just remembered to ask. I've also had several occasions in the last couple of months where the ship has managed to miss the mailshot on the way out, and I also notice that Apex has a tendency to collide with the rings on Orbis stations if arriving from behind.

I'm pretty sure this is something heavily related to an issue we've got jotted down internally actually. I'll double check though. Thanks for this!

@sallymorganmoore Ever since patch 6 I have great difficulty loading the game and its getting to the point that I'm not going to put myself through the hassle of it. When I open the game through the launcher it appears to start up normally but within a few seconds the start up screen goes down and I just see my desktop screen with the Elite Icon remaining in the task bar. I can eventually get the menu screen to show up after repeatedly clicking the icon but the menu screen is totally unresponsive. The only input that does anything is when I click with the mouse and it just makes the menu screen go down and reveal my desktop screen. The Elite icon remains in the task bar and the only thing I can do with it is use task manager to close the program.

I usually will get the game to work eventually but it is becoming increassing dificult. Some of the things I have done are to start another game, close it and then start Elite. this didn't work yesterday. Restart the PC, this didn't work yesterday. Update GPU drivers and restart PC, this did work yesterday. Validating files used to work but this has stopped working some time ago. I'm now totally bored of the effort required to get the game just to open so without some resolution I will look elsewhere for some gaming entertainment. This is really disappointing because when it works I'm quite enjoying Odyssey.

Edit: Typical, I logged in no problem immediately after posting this. I played for a coupple of hours, logged out to go for something to eat then logged on again without any problems. I honestly can't understand whats going on with it.

Last edited:

sallymorganmoore

@sallymorganmoore Ever since patch 6 I have great difficulty loading the game and its getting to the point that I'm not going to put myself through the hassle of it. When I open the game through the launcher it appears to start up normally but within a few seconds the start up screen goes down and I just see my desktop screen with the Elite Icon remaining in the task bar. I can eventually get the menu screen to show up after repeatedly clicking the icon but the menu screen is totally unresponsive. The only input that does anything is when I click with the mouse and it just makes the menu screen go down and reveal my desktop screen. The Elite icon remains in the task bar and the only thing I can do with it is use task manager to close the program.

I usually will get the game to work eventually but it is becoming increassing dificult. Some of the things I have done are to start another game, close it and then start Elite. this didn't work yesterday. Restart the PC, this didn't work yesterday. Update GPU drivers and restart PC, this did work yesterday. Validating files used to work but this has stopped working some time ago. I'm now totally bored of the effort required to get the game just to open so without some resolution I will look elsewhere for some gaming entertainment. This is really disappointing because when it works I'm quite enjoying Odyssey.

Edit: Typical, I logged in no problem immediately after posting this. I played for a coupple of hours, logged out to go for something to eat then logged on again without any problems. I honestly can't understand whats going on with it.

Hellooo! Yeah this is SUPER weird...Have you had the issue again since your edit or is it still behaving itself?

Top Bottom