Odyssey specs don't look good for PS4

Consoles these days look even more and more like PC specs, there is even articles around that say that its easier to write games now for the new series of consoles seeing as they are even closer to PC's than before. It will be interesting to see what FDEV come up with for the 1x and PS4 seeing as spec wise they are more akin to low/mid spec laptops.

Maybe you should tell us, being in software development yourself you seem to know all about it. Happy to be educated.

I don't think Stinja's OP is somehow invalid. We keep getting told the consoles are just weak PCs so the code can't be that different right? Long gone is the PS3 architecture.

If it runs poorly (we will find out how well it runs in the next few days) on a PC more powerful than a console it's not a massive leap of faith that it won't run that well on a console.

The bonus of the console is fixed hardware so it can be tailored to suit. Especially after further optimisation. Hopefully this will pay off and of course hopefully FDev decide to support the PS5 natively.

We will find out in the Autumn.
I just told you: You can't know the effects unless you're working with that exact product. And as none of us do, until we see the effect - all of this - is 100% pure speculation.

We keep getting told the consoles are just weak PCs so the code can't be that different right?

Right. But the art assets and shaders are platform specific enough to make the DOOMED BECAUSE PC SPECS argument a non sequitur.

One uncompressed 1K texture in 32-bit RGBA takes 4MB.
One uncompressed 4K texture in 32-bit RGBA takes 65MB.

Multiply that by the total amount of textured geometry in the game (procgen or mass storage, doesn't matter by the time you're cramming it into the GPU for rendering) and you can see how the demands can be way different based on art assets alone.

Then there are also other parameters like LOD thresholds, culling distances, and the actual shader code / rendering pipeline settings. Considering that these parameters can and usually are set per platform, I can't help but arrive at the conclusion that the different platforms are essentially decoupled even if they run the same game code.

Now I sure don't assume EDO to perform well on PS4/PS5. You certainly don't get to play the "gotcha!" card by the time EDO lands on Playstation. In fact I would expect EDO perf to suck on Playstation even if FDev announced the PC spec to go down. That's just what you tend to get when "lone explorer taking screenshots featuring a spaceship in front of a big sphere" is the reference use case. The real world use cases like flying around stations, haz res, installations, they all perform like garbage right now (yes even on PS4 Pro, to the point where farming NPCs in installations appears to be outright unplayable) and I'll be glad to be proven wrong but damn if I don't bet that they will perform like garbage still after EDO is out.

Not because of a change in PC specs but because of FDev's general optimism which, unfortunately, appears to be the only cross-platform thing around here.

Meanwhile, in Horizons...

PS_App_20210521_053427.jpeg

We got whole planets disappearing leaving only what man built there

If performance dropped on PC then it's likely performance will drop on PS4.

Oh I don't disagree, all I've been saying is

I said:
Not because of a change in PC specs but because of FDev's general optimism

due to which the current events do not unfortunately(*) surprise me in the least.

(*) unfortunately because I really wanted to like this game but FDev still appears to try their hardest to make it impossible.

I can log in (to open) and arrive where the game threw me out on May 17th (by mauve adder, I did not bother to re-log in again, since it was late/early in the morning that day).
Within the burning station at d1-74 (do not want to know how much heatsinks that required) and now am unable to unload my passengers at the rescue ship, as no missions can be retrieved from server. (Guess there will be no time bonus...)

But that's better than on the xbox, where I cannot even log in to the game since yesterday (skipped may 19th as a whole), because the authentication servers are not responding alledgedly.

I am not sure about the last night hotfix, since I didn't try to login afterwards, but yesterday, and the day before I would get booted every single time the Odyssey players would start to drop out.

First it would get very laggy, then it would drop me whenever I would go into super cruise. If anyone can confirm how it goes after that hotfix?

As far as I know fleet carriers are still not allowed to jump and the increase in upkeep is still there for me, on PS5.

You have to remember the version of Elite is the PS4 and Xbox One versions. There are no plans for next-gen console versions at the moment. This means a next-gen only ps5/Xbox series odyssey would not be financially feasible for frontier.

Do not compare PC specs toward consoles, makes little sense. Horizon worked pretty good on PS4 ( I don't know about xBox) and even then PC specs where beyond what an old gen console could do, they announced Odyssey for PC AND old gen and no plans for Next gen, meaning they probably know it will work out...how good is unknown but I think it will go better than all the mess with PCs prformance wise, nothing different of what now happens in Open when few players are instanced together, graphic side we all know it will be highly downgraded (compared to PC) but that's normal.

Top Bottom