ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

During this Odyssey implementation period, it would be great if once again the CMs could pop into the discord servers they are members of and say hi. It's been a bit quiet recently, i know you're all busy with CGs and Odyssey, but your participation is really appreciated, even if it's just once a month per server, maybe post some links/info we might not be aware of? Thanks.

Being in an office is better for group work imo. If your job is fairly solo then working from home is fine, but I can see issues with trying to organise like 100+ employees working on the same project when they are at home. I think it's also a lot healthier for the employees as separating your workplace from your home is important for some people's mental health.

Besides, vaccine is rolling out here in the UK. I don't think it will be too long before we start to see things return to some normality. I can see workers returning to offices within a year, assuming no super covid variant arrives.

I think people are getting far too caught up in the tedious media spin about everything under the sun changing, its only ever the hindsight and retrospect where long term changing patterns can be seen, all it is now is wishful thinking of people with existing prejudices and zero evidence, there is definitely an anti-urban, anti-mass transit infrastructure popular culture here. Of course cars and new roads are ok, otherwise how would you get to the supermarket/school from your suburban home, dont want the kids at home all the time. The suspicious well organised backlash against cycling which allows for density of movement without the negative impacts tells you all you need to know. But who is going to maintain all those old buildings and historical streets everyone loves? Talk about the fallacy of having your cake and eating it.

Would people be happier if the 'First Footfall' award for being first to walk around a planet is disabled until the console release is ready?

I don't mind missing out on that until the Xbox and playstation catches up.
That probably might be a reasonable compromise for console users, even if i personally don't see it as a problem that big. I mean, for a real explorer tagging planets inside the bubble have little sense (and i even feel it wierd). You might want to tag the most famous places outside the bubble, but you'd be in competition with a lot of people anyway. So i think that the tags which actually counts are the one of truly unexplored systems, and there's still a tremendous number of them around

Indeed, Frontier are clearly no longer the plucky little independant company trying to make good. It makes it all the more puzzling why they asked for £s in a KickStarter, effectively charitable donations, when they clearly didn't need them.

Are you saying that Kickstarters have to guarantee to their prospective backers that they will be unsuccessful to be allowed to launch a Kickstarter campaign?!

Last edited:
TBH I'm perfectly fine with the delay.

FDev please learn from the success of Obsidian's The Outer Worlds. Which was their public redemption for Fallout New Vegas. The Outer Worlds was the epitome of what a polished, bug free and optimized gaming experience is supposed to be from a professional gaming industry dev. Obsidian never put out a release date UNITL THE GAME WAS TRULY DONE.

Please take all the time you need to release a functional, stable game. Learn from the tragic mistakes of White Horse Studio's Kingdom Come Deliverance. And CDPR's ongoing horrific nightmare and PR fallout.

The absolute last thing we need to experience in 2021 is another overhyped CP 2077 time bomb. :cautious:
you are absolutely right that fdev needs to learn from the industry. BUT ... but you are wrong about the lesson to be learned. And we must learn the lesson that the console is a relic of the past ... it's even worse than a rotten apple phone. Therefore, we must not kill the game so that it can go on consoles, but make it so that it is complete, without cut-out parts like in the CP 2077. Any attempt to make something work on which it should not work is a deliberately false goal.

You disagree that they didn't need the cash, or that KickStarter donations are effectively, and indeed actually, a donation?
Oh this discussion again, I thought 8 years are enough to argue over every aspect of it.

Anyway, they probably would have developed the game without Kickstarter. The successful campaign convinced them to put way more money and effort into the game than originally planned though. I am sure that you remember how the game we got at release is completely different to the thing they originally planned. Before Kickstarter the idea was to release a cheap budget title for £15 or something like that. Kickstarter convinced them to develop a real game instead.

Regarding donations, if you pledged at purchase price it obviously wasn't a donation because you got the game for it. If you pledged for LEP level it wasn't a donation either because you got the LEP for it. If you pledged more, that would be a donation.
We need to remember that donations are just that, donations. I donated €2000 to several projects I support in 2020 and all I got was a letter / email saying thank you. They don't ask me how they should use that money and they don't owe me anything. There is a pretty obvious difference between an investment and a donation.

I do not argue with the quality and essence of the game. Fdev are not the worst developers. But everyone who licks the asses of the developers with foam at the mouth ... was and will be a slave. Not literally ... though.

my last console was a sega mega drive 16 bit back in 1999. With the release of play station 1, I compared games on my pentium 2 266 with s3 trio 3d and consoles, and even in those days the games on canols were worse enemies, even to take games from the time of ibm 386, for example dune 2, x-com: ufo unknown, goblins. .. even then they were prettier and better than the consoles of those years. To be honest, I don't understand people playing on consoles at all ... you pay a lot of money just to press fewer buttons. This is not logical at all, as for me, while games are obviously less beautiful and sophisticated than on computers. And often they cost twice as much ... one seems to me that this is a conspiracy?))))
JWE CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

Oh this discussion again, I thought 8 years are enough to argue over every aspect of it.

Anyway, they probably would have developed the game without Kickstarter. The successful campaign convinced them to put way more money and effort into the game than originally planned though. I am sure that you remember how the game we got at release is completely different to the thing they originally planned. Before Kickstarter the idea was to release a cheap budget title for £15 or something like that. Kickstarter convinced them to develop a real game instead.

Regarding donations, if you pledged at purchase price it obviously wasn't a donation because you got the game for it. If you pledged for LEP level it wasn't a donation either because you got the LEP for it. If you pledged more, that would be a donation.
We need to remember that donations are just that, donations. I donated €2000 to several projects I support in 2020 and all I got was a letter / email saying thank you. They don't ask me how they should use that money and they don't owe me anything. There is a pretty obvious difference between an investment and a donation.
no no no you start to confuse people =) we bought this game in the steam, I think we bought it in incentive, as a finished product. Personally, I want to use a good product, as they say in our country - I'm too poor to use cheap things.

I feel that someone is bending the truth here (to not say is dishonest). Some of us asked about that before: Why Steam is giving an information that release of Odyssey will be on on April 21st.
Obsidian Ant took up this topic in one of his films on Youtube:
Source: https://youtu.be/n3_dKPYOWtQ?t=16

Answer from Frontier was: "Unless we announce the realese date, do not belive anything you see from other sources".
So what was that hype for? Why showing the first gameplay on Gamescom with information that Odyssey will be realesed early 2021? Why write the articles for magazines with information that Odyssey is coming early 2021? Did they find out about the delay yesterday? :p
"Hey, Arf, we thought that Odyssey will be ready for February, but today it turned out to be delayed by few months. You need to inform community".
Yeah, right :p

I feel that someone is bending the truth here (to not say is dishonest). Some of us asked about that before: Why Steam is giving an information that release of Odyssey will be on on April 21st.
Obsidian Ant took up this topic in one of his films on Youtube:
Source: https://youtu.be/n3_dKPYOWtQ?t=16

Answer from Frontier was: "Unless we announce the realese date, do not belive anything you see from other sources".
So what was that hype for? Why showing the first gameplay on Gamescom with information that Odyssey will be realesed early 2021? Why write the articles for magazines with information that Odyssey is coming early 2021? Did they find out about the delay yesterday? :p
"Hey, Arf, we thought that Odyssey will be ready for February, but today it turned out to be delayed by few months. You need to inform community".
Yeah, right :p
So you're new to the concept of 'things changing?'. Interesting. Well, welcome to the real world :ROFLMAO:

Yeah last minute delays in IT, never heard of that before, must all be lies because surely the future is written by Moores law? I would suggest that Hardware delays get a far easier reaction than the customer, even something like Crossrail with its weirdly specific finish date years ahead, people can see tangiable ideas of safety and complex physical things not working as expected/going to plan. Anyway it isnt some sort of target-less home project like the inevitable 5 year delay for finishing sanding the floor boards that you just have to explain away in your own mind, its a commerical project, at some point you need to announce your plan to stake holders who are paying your dinner money. Product launches and marketing campaigns are a life unto themselves and once released is a like genie escaped!

Last edited:
No I'm not new to the concept of 'things changing'. And also I'm not new to the concept of honest communication like "Steam is showing April 21st because we gave this date on Steam ourselves and it means that delay is highly possible".
So rather than take what frontier said, you prefer to just assume they are lying?

I mean, it's an option, just assuming people are lying. I guess.

Top Bottom