Odyssey VR specific bug reports - please contribute!

I've noticed often the lighting of planets on the skybox isn't consistent between eyes. They seem to have added some type of bloom effect that just doesn't work in VR. Anyone else getting this? I play with a G2

Secondly, I would like to note that planet surfaces suffer hugely from specular aliasing, a type of shader aliasing. I assume this isn't as noticeable at the high FOVs of pancake gaming, but in VR it's an absolute immersion killer, especially because it's world relative, as you turn your head, the aliasing lines align with your view, and add to the infernal shimmer of textures, space stations etc. ED's not the only game that has it, Space Engine does too and here's a video I made recording it:

I'm sure nobody cares, but I really can't play anymore. The second issue basically stopped me landing on planets. The first issue, which is newer, has now made me cba to even hang out in space anymore. Shame, I really loved ED once, and no game is ever going to fill the gap

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KruRwL42uA&ab_channel=Dr.Kaii

You are correct, the report is very sparse on information... I thought devs might prefer a simplistic approach... :)

No, what that other person is reporting is not the same problem... Let me tell you what it looks like:

Imagine that you are flying away from the star, so there are no stars in your view, only the black background. Then every second or two, a star body that covers 2/3 of your view flashes for a tiny fraction of a second in front of you. It is really a millisecond, but enough to recognize the shape of the star... And this happens like once every second, so it is very annoying and blinding... The further you are getting away from the star, the less it is happening. But when you enter a system and while traversing around a star and then flying away from it, it is very frequent and very annoying... It only gets better if you are really further from the star, but it is still there...

It happens always. I tried rebooting, logging the machine off, etc... It is still there and I will not go back to Odyssey, as it is virtually unplayable...

PC, Windows, Vodafone, 100mbps

Thank you for reporting it! (y) ;)
If I’ve got any details incorrect, let me know and I’ll correct them:
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/46156 - Brief flash of star in VR

Awesome, thank you!

I tried to record a video for you, but exactly as Murphy dictates, when you want to show something to someone, it doesn't show up... It was there, but much rarer than previously... I don't know whether they fixed something or not, but while recording for you, it was only like once every 10 seconds...

I will try tomorrow again...

Thank you for your help!

I've noticed often the lighting of planets on the skybox isn't consistent between eyes. They seem to have added some type of bloom effect that just doesn't work in VR. Anyone else getting this? I play with a G2

Secondly, I would like to note that planet surfaces suffer hugely from specular aliasing, a type of shader aliasing. I assume this isn't as noticeable at the high FOVs of pancake gaming, but in VR it's an absolute immersion killer, especially because it's world relative, as you turn your head, the aliasing lines align with your view, and add to the infernal shimmer of textures, space stations etc. ED's not the only game that has it, Space Engine does too and here's a video I made recording it:

I'm sure nobody cares, but I really can't play anymore. The second issue basically stopped me landing on planets. The first issue, which is newer, has now made me cba to even hang out in space anymore. Shame, I really loved ED once, and no game is ever going to fill the gap

I don't know about the aliasing issue, but I did notice the consistency between the eyes problem before, but it was more about traversing around the star and then, at some point, as if one eye gets blind for a second or two... That is very annoying...

Yep, its all very disheartening for VR players at the moment. It feels like VR will be in this alpha/beta state for an indefinite amount of time. The fact that such an obvious and frequent visual bug like the frameshift enter/exit where the camera suddenly shifts to another view has been ignored for 6 months now suggests they couldn't give a flying... you know what, about the quality of VR in EDO. The other immersion killer are these shiny sun reflecting rocks that are in the shade of mountains and canyons. Its a shame too as the new lighting when you are in the shade behind mountains etc looks great, but these shiny rocks ruin the scene.

Last edited:
The fact that such an obvious and frequent visual bug like the frameshift enter/exit where the camera suddenly shifts to another view has been ignored for 6 months now…
Ideally, I’d like to see all those votes for the FSS VR orbit lines issue (that we now know isn’t going to be fixed any time soon) transferred across to the frame glitch bug - getting it into the Top 20 and hopefully getting it sorted or at least increased in priority. (Edit: the FSS bug is currently at #21 while the view glitch has climbed to #62)

Unfortunately, we’re a loose conglomeration of headset wearers instead of an organised band of VR voters and issue confirmers, so I doubt we’ll help ourselves in this matter any time soon 😅

Last edited:

Yes on both accords and on the last comment, there's too many unaddressed issues currently piled up in VR that makes it simply uncomfortable to play. If it was an odd usability bug or something I could live with it until a fix, it has happened before, but all of these mostly-rendering-related things together make it physically impossible to abide for more than 10 minutes if you do any sort of activity.

Added my comment to this in the tracker also - the game is essentially unplayable at this point for me, unless I evolve a tolerance for the feeling like I'm having a brain aneurysm ;) (I knew I shoudln't have bought all those ARX after Update 8...)

Yes, getting the changes working in VR was a problem, and they decided they didn't want to take on that problem, so it became our problem. It's sad, but what can we do

Added my comment to this in the tracker also - the game is essentially unplayable at this point for me, unless I evolve a tolerance for the feeling like I'm having a brain aneurysm ;) (I knew I shoudln't have bought all those ARX after Update 8...)
Hi, wrt to this issue, I think I get it too. I think it only happens when I have motion smoothing on. Have you tried turning motion smoothing off and seeing if it goes away?

Hi, wrt to this issue, I think I get it too. I think it only happens when I have motion smoothing on. Have you tried turning motion smoothing off and seeing if it goes away?
I've never used motion smoothing due to a disparity in shading it induces in the two different viewports in my Pimax 8K.
It would be ironic if it turns out to be Pimax's Parallel Projection compatibility feature causing it, but I doubt we'd get that lucky ;)

I’ve added my bit to https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/46156 because I spotted it this morning - looks like that old bug where you’d get a brief flash of a nearby planet or Station when jumping to SuperCruise, but just while flying around in SC. I’m thankfully not getting it as often as some others here, but I would still like it to get fixed.

Four Confirmations still required 👍
Still waiting for the replacement system drive for my new computer to arrive so I can play Odyssey in VR again. Would’ve just ordered a new one, and then used the replacement (since it was still under warranty) as extra storage, if I’d known it would take this long. :(

At least I still had my old computer, so I’ll be able to appreciate my new one even more, but it means I can’t confirm. :( The last update is now giving me 40+ FPS on medium settings in settlements on a nearly eight year old computer, but…
you know what, I should see if it can handle VR in Odyssey! For Science! ;). And confirmations! :)

So update 9 has now rendered EDO unplayable for me. Im getting consistent flashing and flickering of the display. Sometimes I may get flashes every few seconds and at minimum I'm getting 5 flashes a minute. This is one way to get rid of your VR users. Give them all seizures when they use your product. Ive been playing ED for 6+ years and Ive never seen it in this state where I cannot play it at all.

Last edited:
At least 2 more Confirmations are now required - if 3 are added then it’ll immediately flip over to Confirmed and will be able to be voted for. (Edit: we’re now at 9/10 Confirmations)

For something this serious I would hope VR users will temporarily transfer one of their six votes onto the issue once we’re able to - it’s not affecting me that badly but I’ll still be moving one of my votes 👍

Last edited:
Sadly, I've spent some time on my old computer scooping stars in VR, and I never saw anything as described, so I can't confirm. I did confirm that on foot Odyssey doesn't quite get enough frames to play in VR.

Current Hardware: HTC Vive and GTX 980 (no TI).

New problem I’ve had over the last two days: massively increased transition times.

In solo, dropping into Glide used to be almost instant - now it’s taking up to 30 seconds. Same with disembarking, the brief blackscreen and a few footstep sounds has now extended to my CMDR seemingly mistaking my Cobra for an Anaconda and going for a right old wander 😅

Getting out of the SRV takes about 20 seconds which wouldn’t be good under fire. Jumping to a new system is at least 3 times longer.

I’m going to do some timings tomorrow and I’ll probably jump back into Horizons to compare, so I might have a new issue report for you all tomorrow 😁

Top Bottom