Okay But Really, Proxima Centauri?

As I type this, I am going into my 30th minute of travelling to Hutton Orbital in the Centauri system near Sol for a passenger run mission. I took the mission, reading the target distance from drop point as .22Ls, and thought "Oh jeez, that's pretty close. Should be a peace of cake." I jump about 200ly from the system I got the mission, dropped into Centauri, and started looking around. No sight of Hutton Orbital. "Okay", I thought. "Let's look at the Nav Page then." I open it, and then I see it. Not 22 hundredths of a lightsecond. 22 hundreds of a light year. I need to travel .22ly in Supercruise for a measly 1m.

The point of this thread is to point out how ridiculous some of the distance in binary and higher magnitudes are between drop point and anything you need to get to. In the Erevate neighborhood, there's a star named GD 215. A white dwarf with a G-Type star orbiting at 395kLs. The funny thing is that GD 215 has absolutely nothing at all in orbit around it, while its companion star has everything else. These distances are absurd, and the time it takes to travel these distances is equally so.

So, while I sit here and watch another Let's Play video as I wait for my ship to cross another .19Ly at 2,000c, please know that I disdain this greatly, and next time I will do what I can to not mistake a Y for an S.
[REDACTED: I now understand what this trek means to people. I apologize for my comments on it]

Last edited:
Hutton is one of the longest, if not the longest trip in SC. But rest assured, that's one of the rare locations like this as far as I know.

Hutton is one of the longest, if not the longest trip in SC. But rest assured, that's one of the rare locations like this as far as I know.

Right, but some of these are just absurd. Not only in distance, but because the star you drop at usually seems to have nothing in orbit around it. I just feel like maybe some sort of in-system jumping or faster Supercruise acceleration would fix this glaring issue.

You're dropped in on the star with the higher mass. Sometimes they have nothing around it, sometimes not.

I usually set the throttle to 75% and read during these long supercruises. I've actually gotten caught up on that pile of books everyone says they're eventually going to read this way.

Well they do say space is BIG, can't have everything next door to each other

I understand that, but in-game we are at the point where crossing dozens of light years takes minutes. It just doesn't make much sense that I would spend more time in a single system heading towards a binary than the record Colonia run took.

Don't forget to pick up the mug! :D

That mug had better cure cancer or something.

I would really enjoy a "minigame" (for lack of a better term) which would allow some kind of micro-jump in systems of exceptional size where the distances between large stellar bodies is extreme. Might damage your ship\modules. Might destroy it. Might make me weigh my options between a fast trip and a safe one. Since it's effectively an "uncharted" jump and all...

Oh well. I'm on board with anything the game could offer which makes supercruise more interesting. Easily my least favorite part of the game.

Deleted member 38366

D
Don't worry, at full Throttle the trip only takes ~85 Minutes. You'll start slowing down again after hitting approx. 1865c half-way if memory serves me right :D

PS.
There's only two types of People :
- those who did the Hutton Run
- those who didn't yet ;)

You're trying to be funny, right? Please tell me you're joking.
Note : Hutton Orbital is an Outpost. Small and Medium Ships only.

You should have seen the traffic there when the Hutton Mug CG was active to deliver Scrap to Hutton Orbital :D
ELITE-Hutton3.jpg

(Large Ships couldn't dock - but there were friendly Small/Medium shuttles around to offload and deliver)

ELITE-Hutton1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry, at full Throttle the trip only takes ~85 Minutes. You'll start slowing down again after hitting approx. 1865c half-way if memory serves me right :D

PS.
There's only two types of People :
- those who did the Hutton Run
- those who didn't yet ;)

Note : Hutton Orbital is an Outpost. Small and Medium Ships only.

You should have seen the traffic there when the Hutton Mug CG was active to deliver Scrap to Hutton Orbital :D
http://www.falconfly.de/temp/ELITE-Hutton3.jpg
(Large Ships couldn't dock - but there were friendly Small/Medium shuttles around to offload and deliver)

http://www.falconfly.de/temp/ELITE-Hutton1.jpg

So it's not your everyday civilian/industrial outpost station?

Deleted member 38366

D
So it's not your everyday civilian/industrial outpost station?

It's a fairly normal Outpost. Just its distance marks a lonely record, well-known throughout the entire Galaxy :)

Welcome to : the Hutton Run.

Hutton Orbital has a storied history, and it is seen as a right of passage to travel out there. There is a player faction and a rare item that stem from this. You can even buy Hutton Mugs in real life, with the .22LY distance printed on them. The long distance is the only thing that makes the station any different from most everywhere else. There aren't that many 'destinations' in this game - leave Hutton alone.

Top Bottom