Only 20,800 free Arx per year

The amount of free Arx CMDRs can earn per year (400x52) equates to about £10 GBP. That doesn't buy many paint jobs. Frontier, why are you being so stingy? I really do think you've let the player base down on this... I know they are free but what's the point? ...It provides little or no incentive to players but what it does do is give you a psychological way to permanently advertise Arx in game. Do you not think we realise this? You really should value the loyalty, support and intellect of we your customers more.

OK - put it another way, ten quid a year in free ARX, a lot of CMDR's have bought the game at sales for like £20 inc horizons, and we are in our second year of free updates, about to start our third year of free updates, this isnt particularly lucrative from their point of view as by the time 2020 big update comes out, there will be CMDR's who have had more in arx than they paid for the game.

The amount of free Arx CMDRs can earn per year (400x52) equates to about £10 GBP. That doesn't buy many paint jobs. Frontier, why are you being so stingy? I really do think you've let the player base down on this... I know they are free but what's the point? ...It provides little or no incentive to players but what it does do is give you a psychological way to permanently advertise Arx in game. Do you not think we realise this? You really should value the loyalty, support and intellect of we your customers more.
1101384.gif

Because the accountant said so, this is not a game design issue its purely a finance issue...

Thats £10 per every single account on every single version of the game sold... that could be given away..
That includes every alternate account on PC and multi users on console that share a single digital copy...
Single units sold is 3million and the accountant/finance manager with have balanced the Possible players Vs fully active players that are Going to play when the update released... Giving away £10 per year can mean that a USER never spends any money on DLC... Because that user only ever buys the limited 1 time paint jobs per year..
Its also per year So some active users may not buy ANY this year but next year they have £20 worth as ARX do not expire...

its a finance issue that will have been calculated for what there money managers think will drive the user base with minimum loses of sales.

I think I understand what they are doing with ARX and I agree with it. Is this the thinking?

1. When I have a lot of discretionary income I purchase ARX for cash and I buy what I want. Frontier gets revenue, I get game enjoyment. Invariably I will have some ARX left over. I can "earn" ARX to supplement my balance to buy that one more item that just came out without having to get out my wallet. Customer is happy. A happy customer given a gameplay reward... eventually buys more ARX packs in the future.

2. Lets say I am running low on ARX and I can see a new ship is within my grasp (cutter). The ARX structure encourages me to play in order to get the ship kit for ny new cutter. Customer is happy seeming to get the remainder of the pack for "free".

3. Customer is low on cash and can't bring himself to afford the jumbo-pack of ARX. Knowing he/she is able to earn some ARX with gameplay means that they WILL consider buying the small pack. They can afford the quid for the small pack and earn the rest of the bobblehead with gameplay. Customer is happy.

4. Casual players, like me, will be able to spread out their activity over a long period of time and earn ARX as they go. For example, I have exploration data from a long trip. I will probably turn-in cartographic data the next time I play (on Wednesday)... and then turn in more expiration data Thursday when I play. 800 points in two days provides me with an additional reward. I probably wouldn't have played on Wednesday without the new ARX function. Generally an increase in gameplay hours likely directly correlates with a players probability of getting out a wallet to purchase points. It is a numbers game. Do something to increase the average hours of play generally increases in-game purchases.

5. Players with an "unlimited spending" mindset will have little benefit.

6. The fact that they actually NOW SHOW YOU YOUR SHIP on the login screen is KEY. This will increase the purchase of accoutrements and it is very important to grease the wheels with a little bit of "free" points to encourage transactions.

Last edited:
How much free money do you want OP?

It's not the matter of how much free money one wants. It's the thing when FDEVs say you can earn ARX by just playing game. What they don't tell is that amount earned is measured in single units, restricted with low weekly cap while giving absurdly high prices for cosmetics. Which in turn make "earning ARX by playing the game" essentially non viable option due to massive time requirement for the slightest of profit.

So we give you free stuff but so little, capped and so high prices you won't get anything for free in near and far future. Case is to give an inmpression of giving while in fact not giving anyhing.

It's not the matter of how much free money one wants. It's the thing when FDEVs say you can earn ARX by just playing game. What they don't tell is that amount earned is measured in single units, restricted with low weekly cap while giving absurdly high prices for cosmetics. Which in turn make "earning ARX by playing the game" essentially non viable option due to massive time requirement for the slightest of profit.

So we give you free stuff but so little, capped and so high prices you won't get anything for free in near and far future. Case is to give an inmpression of giving while in fact not giving anyhing.
So what do you want then? Unlimited free cash every week?

Well said.

boo hoo boo hoo. why can't I have lots of free stuff, for free!

I am totally cool with the arx thing and I am happy for what I get. A free ship kit a year is good fun.
What is 400 Arx? $0.04?

Yes. The 400 cap is just a precaution in case someone figures something out. They don't actually want us to make anywhere near that amount on a weekly basis. If everyone starts easily maxing out each week they will lower the earnings rates. Seems like their target average is around 100 or so. They're actually much more stingy than people realize. Anyone trying to deflect criticism by saying "hey you're basically getting a free paintjob every two weeks " are absolutely full of it.

It's a hook to get you to buy more Arx in the shop, plain and simple.

I'm a bit surprised at how many people even today still don't know how mobile games/F2P/premium currency/etc work.
A lot of people don't ever play those types of games because they instinctively recognize that those sorts of games are manipulative trash. It is only now that a game they already know and love (and have paid for) has gone F2P that they are having these play systems foisted upon them for the first time.

Top Bottom