Over trying to get AX combat.

Every time I go up against a cyclops I am obliterated so fast I can't even practice
Just a quick tip for you or others.
I've found places to practice: Any system under attack, having a station under attack.
This is usually a "Thargoid CZ" in action.

The Loop goes as follows:
  • Fly & Dock there as soon as you can
    • either Solo/PG before anyone has activated the instance
    • or in Open/PG, ask for status if the platform is available
  • Undock, fight close to station. Learn.
  • If low on health, dock to repair.
    Note: NPCs will keep Goids busy gving you a breather when you take-off. The oposite, when you you have aggroed Goids and trying to Land, they will chase you. Land under fire.
  • If you die, you spawn at the station.
This allowed me to test out different methods & styles.
I've had no issues getting to the place while being interdicted, boost away+FA off and all that jazz. Then proceed on course.

Last edited:
Nothing in between the Scouts and this that, say, has the heart mechanic but no swarm or shutdown field.

Which is a real shame because it means you can’t “learn” on slightly easier enemies or try a variety of difficulty opponents in order to balance the challenge vs your capability: it’s all or nothing!
What about the Orthrus?

No Thargon swarm, no hearts to shoot out and no lightning attacks, but you have the chance to practice using the shutdown neutraliser and evading caustic damage. There isn't even any shots fired at you until it calls in Scout reinforcements.

I was flying alongside @Jack Winter last night, above a surface port, doing unto Thargoids, for an hour or so.

We had some fun and took out 5 interceptors (the 8 million ones) as well as loads of scouts - good fun for me as I'm not an AX pilot, I was improving through the session in hitting with fixed AX weapons.

Play alongside a friend or 2 seems to be a reasonable idea, I do believe that had I been alone I'd have seen the rebuy screen more than the 2 times I did.

(That was in a Chieftain, which I have never flown before last night!)

Thanks, Jack!
It was fun, but get a decent ship or add module reinforcements so that you don't lose the canopy all the time! :D

Farkus Oasis in HIP 23716 is another good planetary port. Definitely go to a planetary port. NPCs to take aggro for you, you can land and repair in the middle of the fight, you can opt to not fight the interceptors and just do scouts. If anything AX combat just got exponentially easier, you're just doing it the hard way by taking on one by yourself in space. Don't do that ;)

Also, it really does help if there are more commanders there, just shooting the interceptor means you'll get the bounty, which is 8 million for a cyclops, that's a rebuy right there if you're in a krait or other medium ship.

Don't take a large ship. Krait, Chieftan are excellent AX ships.
There's a definite process to interceptors, if you don't want to learn the process, maybe that combat isn't for you and that's fine, there's things in Elite that I don't really want to do either. I just don't do them.

I think shortly the entire meta is going to change. There kind of has to be a new series of weapons incoming to tackle the stargoids. This is the part in the typical frontier script where we're fighting at a disadvantage. Change will be coming.

Here's my current build and I'm having a great time, taking down 3 to 4 interceptors before I have to land. I'm sure there's other builds, this is just the one that's been working best for me. Scouts are a little harder with this since you have to pop them with the gauss and they're small, but I'm not there for them.

Last edited:
I just spent some time explaining why there is no progression... players dont want it. You're right, it is odd. But it's also rational based on the community's intolerance of gameplay mechanics.

e.g. - OP has announced their disdain of all things related to gameplay mechanics. They specifically stated the lack of intent to invest the time required - which is a couple of hours for a full AX Meta build, not weeks - to get anywhere close to an outfit that can keep up with even the least dangerous of the interceptors.

How much time do you think OP would be willing to put into learning and equpping for Cyclops... then Basilisk... then Medusa... then Hydra... ? ZERO
How many forum threads do you think having to learn and equip for Cyclops... then Basilisk... then Medusa... then Hydra... would generate... ? LEGION

If it takes more than a couple of jumps, or the intellectual investment required to complete a couple of jumps... then it's probably not happening.
If your only "gameplay mechanic" is grindy, unfun, and disconnected from the activity you're trying to advance in...

Then yes, most rational players who play games for fun will avoid these.

Why not allow progress via combat?

Instead of doing hours of grindy material gathering, why not let players buy engineered modules and weapons with COMBAT BONDS?

Just a quick tip for you or others.
I've found places to practice: Any system under attack, having a station under attack.
This is usually a "Thargoid CZ" in action.

The Loop goes as follows:
  • Fly & Dock there as soon as you can
    • either Solo/PG before anyone has activated the instance
    • or in Open/PG, ask for status if the platform is available
  • Undock, fight close to station. Learn.
  • If low on health, dock to repair.
    Note: NPCs will keep Goids busy gving you a breather when you take-off. The oposite, when you you have aggroed Goids and trying to Land, they will chase you. Land under fire.
  • If you die, you spawn at the station.
This allowed me to test out different methods & styles.
I've had no issues getting to the place while being interdicted, boost away+FA off and all that jazz. Then proceed on course.
Interesting. I did my first two Thargoid fights yesterday (unsucessfully I might add), and I specifically went to a Threat 5 NHSS to be sure to be alone with a guaranteed Cyclops and nothing else. I was worried that in a CZ, there would be too much flower action and I would lose control over the instance. Do the NPCs really distract them enough? I have to try that... thanks!

A training arena would have been nice but from seeing others try.

Let go of your pride (if this is indeed a problem) and run away if things turn bad. NPCs don't care if you "stuck it out".
Its a steep learning curve. Watch vidoes, etc. but inevitably you'll have your own spin on it as well. In the end, who cares how you killed the interceptor so long as its dead.

Fighting in an instance with other randos does make it a bit more difficult (and sometimes in some ways easier) than if you go it alone. You don't have control over the battle.

The major issue is the swarm.

As for me, if I didn't get a heart down before the joist portion began I'd evaluate if I should leave. Usually first heart is down as it backs off and begins the fight, but not always. Depends on if I'm feeling lucky.

Speed, armor and damage are what you need.

Interesting. I did my first two Thargoid fights yesterday (unsucessfully I might add), and I specifically went to a Threat 5 NHSS to be sure to be alone with a guaranteed Cyclops and nothing else. I was worried that in a CZ, there would be too much flower action and I would lose control over the instance. Do the NPCs really distract them enough? I have to try that... thanks!
They do sometimes and sometimes not. I've had cases where I was tanking 3 swarms at once and I've had instances where the swarm never bothered me.

All that heart popping up then going back in again etc just reminded me of an old 80's arcade boss and turned me right off the whole thing.

Its really why i never got into it. I'm not against going against scouts, but all that heart popping just reminded me of frustrating experiences.

I appreciate its meant to be extra challenge for those who want it, and FD do now provide scouts for those who don't want that type of challenge, so i'm fine with the overall idea.

I just hope when we get on foot thargoids they don't do something similar

It was fun, but get a decent ship or add module reinforcements so that you don't lose the canopy all the time! :D
I added AFMS to my shieldless Chieftain yesterday. Made a HUGE difference in the number of canopy failures. I completely repaired my canopy 3 times, which enabled me to stay in the fight far longer...

@Tarsonis: I spent the last two days successfully fighting scouts (kill 83 scout mission, on my own) in this:

https://s.orbis.zone/l4cl

I died a few times, the rebuy is < 6Mil, this build has minimal engineering, I went to various Signal Sources and CZs in 2 different systems and I had great fun. The turreted AX MCs helped my kill count quite a bit.

When I want to fight interceptors I just change out the turreted AX MCs for fixed size 2 Guardian Gauss Cannons. I'm at the point where I can almost defeat a Cyclops when NPCs are helping me. Having added the AFMU will probably get me the rest of the way there.

Tactics are very important and learning how to avoid damage goes a long way.

Last edited:
The above being said, I think it would have been great if FDEV had thought of adding a Thargoid scenario to the training. Or even 4, one for each type of interceptor.
I would love to be able to try my hand at the other interceptors in training. I can kill cyclops 1 on 1 all day, but the others are harder to find, harder still to find by themselves, harder still to even survive an encounter with. That's probably not everyone's experience, but I'm a slow learner. Learning the cyclops took several ships and was only relatively easy because you can just go to a threat 5 and 50/50 it's a lone cyclops.

I'm kinda shocked there are still casual players trying to get FDEV to make changes for them. Haven't they said they don't care about you with their actions over the last X number of years heh. FDEV only care about the upper tier of players. It's not me and it's not you. Not complaining, it is what it is at this point. If you play Elite you just have to acknowledge it and move on.

I'm kinda shocked there are still casual players trying to get FDEV to make changes for them. Haven't they said they don't care about you with their actions over the last X number of years heh. FDEV only care about the upper tier of players. It's not me and it's not you. Not complaining, it is what it is at this point. If you play Elite you just have to acknowledge it and move on.
Upper tier player here, and still I don't get my Panther Clipper 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom