Paul Vernon Memorial Tour

We, the TBAG people and friends,

are currently doing a Memorial Tour for our friend and comrade CMDR Paul Vernon who died on May 24th 2022, of Bone Cancer. You can read more about it and our story here. When Paul got his Terminal diagnosis, he asked the forums for company during his final months, and I finally answered. Since then, we flew together whenever possible, leading us up to the End of Galaxy which would be Ishum's Reach. I had the honour of sharing his final months, both ingame and in real life. He became one of my best friends. Paul joined the Teaka Elite Altruists Bagging Cooperative, an Elite squadron where he made additional friendship.

When Paul died, he had assembled a list of locations that he wanted us to visit together, assembled during his final days on Earth, as we were both fans of the game since 1984. But many locations on that list were not yet ticked. So we, the Baggers, decided to turn grief into something better and planned a Memorial Tour, in honour of our friend and comrade. The tour we devised would cover all the destinations he (and me) had missed. We took off immediately on the evening of June 23rd, the day of the Final Service. You can read about our proceedings starting from here. While we proceeded with the Tour, we also published a diary of our proceedings along with it, on a regular basis.

The Tour has three Legs in total. This is the flight plan. Leg 1 has finished by now. Leg 2 ultimately leads to Colonia. Leg 3 will lead us to the End of the Galaxy. Basically, everybody (including you) is offered a free ride on our fleet carrier, The Lawful & Vernon JHV-GTQ to some rather exceptional locations, including Rackham's Peak, Colonia, Beagle Point and Ishum's Reach, without all that tedious jumping but with all expenses paid instead. An altruistic gift in its entirety. No obligations involved, just hop on and off the Tour Bus wherever and whenever you like.

The first part of the Tour Diary was added to the original thread Paul had set up and named 'Terminal Cancer Diagnosis', as we felt it was right to do something like an 'Acts 29' and document how things proceeded after his death. We underestimated the sensitivity of contemporary people, though, and ultimately got complaints from one person allegedly speaking for many others, demanding the title "Terminal Cancer Diagnosis" should be removed and the original thread be shut down, as the title "disheartens" some people and disturbs them in their fun playing a computer game.

Standing rather baffled at first (and tbh feeling a little like being shot in the back) initially, we shut down any public reporting for a while and limited all communication to our Discord channel initially. Finally, after some lengthy discussions, I have ultimately been convinced that such demands cannot effectively be avoided, and with respect to Paul, we should go on with both the Tour (which never was in question) and reporting about it as well. For sake of peace, in a new thread as requested. So this is why this thread is here.

1659795666235.png

Now, looking back at things from the Ceiling of the Galaxy, everything else feels rather small in comparison. So we start to continue.

O7,
🙃

NB. Acts is a book from the Bible written by Paul of Tarsus (or Saint Paul), and it has 28 chapters. Acts 29 would be the next chapter written after Paul had laid down the pen.

Last edited:
I have been rather rudely attacked for writing the above, though. In particular for using the term 'snowflakes' (plural) at one point, and as I get it, for some people, I'm apparently about the root of evil and disrespect since. But no, I'm not. I simply used the term in lack of a better word to describe a certain combination of extreme sensitivity and very high demands regarding others, up to cancel demands, and I used it in a strictly general sense. I'm deeply sorry if people find the term offensive, that clearly was not my intention. Please keep in mind I tried to be nice and listened to demands moving the thread here despite the fact the original one had more than 31k views. I changed the text to make things clearer. Whether I'm worth the amount of open contempt shown for me or not is not for me to decide. I suggest putting me on the ignore list in case of doubt. That settles it from my side.

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
I have been rudely attacked for writing the above, though. In particular for using the term 'snowflake', but as I get it, I'm generally about the root of evil and despair. No, I'm not.

O7,
🙃
As long as this forum tolerates other derogatory terms that are in everyday use, then best to just ignore the ones who are so delicate and fragile that they break at the slightest disturbance.

We, the TBAG people and friends,

are currently doing a Memorial Tour for our friend and comrade CMDR Paul Vernon who died on May 24th 2022, of Bone Cancer. You can read more about it and our story here. When Paul got his Terminal diagnosis, he asked the forums for company during his final months, and I finally answered. Since then, we flew together whenever possible, leading us up to the End of Galaxy which would be Ishum's Reach. I had the honour of sharing his final months, both ingame and in real life. He became one of my best friends. Paul joined the Teaka Elite Altruists Bagging Cooperative, an Elite squadron where he made additional friendship.

When Paul died, he had assembled a list of locations that he wanted us to visit together, assembled during his final days on Earth, as we were both fans of the game since 1984. But many locations on that list were not yet ticked. So we, the Baggers, decided to turn grief into something better and planned a Memorial Tour, in honour of our friend and comrade. The tour we devised would cover all the destinations he (and me) had missed. We took off immediately on the evening of June 23rd, the day of the Final Service. You can read about our proceedings starting from here. While we proceeded with the Tour, we also published a diary of our proceedings along with it, on a regular basis.

The Tour has three Legs in total. This is the flight plan. Leg 1 has finished by now. Leg 2 ultimately leads to Colonia. Leg 3 will lead us to the End of the Galaxy. Basically, everybody (including you) is offered a free ride on our fleet carrier, The Lawful & Vernon JHV-GTQ to some rather exceptional locations, including Rackham's Peak, Colonia, Beagle Point and Ishum's Reach, without all that tedious jumping but with all expenses paid instead. An altruistic gift in its entirety. No obligations involved, just hop on and off the Tour Bus wherever and whenever you like.

The first part of the Tour Diary was added to the original thread Paul had set up and named 'Terminal Cancer Diagnosis', as we felt it was right to do something like an 'Acts 29' and document how things proceeded after his death. We underestimated the sensitivity of contemporary people, though, and ultimately got complaints from some requesting the title "Terminal Cancer Diagnosis" should be removed and the original thread be shut down, as the title "disheartens" them and disturbs them in their fun playing a computer game.

Standing rather baffled at first (and tbh feeling a little like being shot in the back) initially, we shut down any public reporting for a while and limited all communication to our Discord channel initially. Finally, after some lengthy discussions, I have ultimately been convinced that snowflakes cannot be avoided, but should never win, and with respect to Paul, we should go on with both the Tour (which never was in question) and reporting about it as well. For goodness sake, even in a new thread as requested. So this is why this thread is here at all.

View attachment 316655

Now, looking back at things from the Ceiling of the Galaxy, everything else feels rather small in comparison. So we start to continue. God Bless America and us all.

O7,
🙃

NB. Acts is a book from the Bible written by Paul of Tarsus (or Saint Paul), and it has 28 chapters. Acts 29 would be the next chapter written after Paul had laid down the pen.
The man talks about his friend dying from cancer and some here still manage to complain about the title of the thread... Unbelievable.

“When a wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger.”

And then they even manage to insult you? Where have these people been educated... In any case, who cares, just go for it as he would have wanted you to do, what a nice thing it is to think that Elite could help sweeten his pain. When your FC arrives in Colonia, I will definitely hop in for a few jumps, in memoriam.

o7

Last edited:
Any estimated date when you arrive at Colonia ? I'm thinking of hopping onto the train with one of my Alt-Cmdrs over there...

I'm a little behind with the reports, but we stayed the weekend at Rackham's Peak and left yesterday evening, making it to KOI 1701 during the next days hopefully where we'll try to land on a 45g planet. After that, Collection of Wonders it is, before making it to Colonia which we will hopefully reach by the end of next week. There, we'll make a longer stop (approx. 2 weeks, some of us want to unlock the engineers there on this occasion, and I have 3 ships parked at Helgoland that need an overhaul) to refuel and prepare the carrier for the final Leg, which will take quite some time and requires additional Tritium resources, provided by several TBAG carriers bringing in supplies from the bubble. Or, that's the plan so far ;)

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
i´am s solo player doing my own thing but i must say i´am impressed by this initiative and fell deep respect. i havn´t known Vernon nor do i know The Lawful or any other player here, but i feel honored if can can take part on this memorial tour. would be nice if you can update us in this thread where and when its possible to join. thx

i´am s solo player doing my own thing but i must say i´am impressed by this initiative and fell deep respect. i havn´t known Vernon nor do i know The Lawful or any other player here, but i feel honored if can can take part on this memorial tour. would be nice if you can update us in this thread where and when its possible to join. thx

Thank you! :) I'll update the carrier's progress (and a report of our recent stops) regularly here. You can take part in Solo too, as carriers are available there as well and so it's completely transparent (EDO and Horizons btw). Just hop on board. You can track where it currently is inside the game (on galaxy map), it can be found under The Lawful & Vernon JHV-GTQ and maybe spend a bookmark on it. Currently, we're in deep space somewhere between the bubble and Colonia, having just descended down from Rackham's Peak again. The initial post contains a link to the flight plan (Excel) as well, you can see the individual jump targets we follow via the (excellent) Spansh's Carrier Router (top 3 lines in the Excel sheet contain the links, we are in the second group currently, HD 104785). You can always ping me or send me a friend request too, CMDR name is The Lawful. Just make sure to hop on board (or off) in time (we just left a member behind at Rackham's, but our second carrier collected him safely - you cannot leave or enter Rackham's by ship because of the distance involved). Just note this endeavour is a Marathon and will take very long, in particular for Leg 3 where we go to the very end of the galaxy (65k+ from Sol), each Leg has about 90 jumps and the carrier can do up to 3 every hour only (5 mins cooldown + 15 mins preparation), plus stops for planetside actions.

Regular departure usually is 19:00 space time in general because of RL constraints (I have to work during the day), flying for about 3 hours usually except Tuesdays. But I'll post more and exact details here in the future.

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
thanks,
i have tried to find your carrier via ingame galaxy map, i cannot find any carrier beside my own which i have already bookmarked in the map. i have found you on Inara in a system where i shure cannot view. i´am in colonia currently and therfore 22k Lj distance. i will check frequently and when you are in range will join in open (assuming i only find nice people not trying to shut me down). thx, geronimo

thanks,
i have tried to find your carrier via ingame galaxy map, i cannot find any carrier beside my own which i have already bookmarked in the map. i have found you on Inara in a system where i shure cannot view. i´am in colonia currently and therfore 22k Lj distance. i will check frequently and when you are in range will join in open (assuming i only find nice people not trying to shut me down). thx, geronimo

Yes, good to know. IIRC there used to be an option in Horizons where you could find carriers via galaxy map, but it seems to be gone in EDO. Just the bookmark for your own carrier. Hm. INARA tracks it too and is the most accurate, EDSM thinks it's still in Rackham's, but it's not. It's actually in HD 104785, I did another jump yesterday to drop off a friend who could not reach his own carrier otherwise, so we're a little off course today, but will make up for it during the evening ;)

Departure time today is 19:00 space time. That's when the initial jump is scheduled, so plus 15 mins. Let's see how far we can make it today.

EDIT: We made it up to Ushowls MO-Q d5-0. Another 8 jumps to our next destination, KOI 1701, but we'll do that tomorrow. If the galaxy still exists after Salvation tampering with it.

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
Paul Vernon Memorial Tour: What happened since Skardee

Meanwhile, as everyone currently is staring at HIP 22460 and the (most surprisingly) failed attempt at eradicating the Thargoids, here is a short report of what happened on the Paul Vernon Memorial Tour since the start of Leg 2. We start at Skardee. Here, the carrier was refueled and refitted for a week, taking memorial shots of the team and such. You can read more about it here. On July 31st, we finally set out again, after having assembled at the bar. Piper, the barmaid, still only minds business, but that's what we came for after all. And that's certainly not a POS terminal on her desk (try ext cam). But anyway.

Screenshot_0306.jpg

Screenshot_0315.jpg

Screenshot_0319.jpg

Our next destination was HR 6164, just three carrier jumps out. Paul's notes contained this, and that's why we came here:

At only 1400 light-years from Sol, HR 6164 is a popular destination for tourists. The bright O-class star, a neutron star, and two black holes are easily visible from the first planet; along with a excellent view of the planet's rings. The location has simply been labeled 'The View', and a beacon has been established here by Universal Cartographics. Additionally a tourist installation has been installed just outside the jet-cone of the neutron star and provides breathtaking views of this phenomena.

Pilots should be aware of the dangers in visiting. The planet's gravity is 3.30g which may be a surprise for novices. The tourist installation is located extremely close to the neutron star jet-cone; falling into this cone in normal space will cause extreme damage to your vessel. Approach should be made with great caution.

And so it was. Except for the damage, we had been warned. As for planetside landing, 3.30g is tough, but nothing compared to the 45g planet we're challenging on our next stop (or landing at Ceres Tarn, Pleiades, in a Corvette, maybe, but that's another story). And Lutoleum Anemones to be found of course, they're everywhere it seems.

Screenshot_0321.jpg

Screenshot_0323.jpg

Screenshot_0331.jpg

Dangerously close to the Neutron cones, but the plants obviously like it.

Screenshot_0339.jpg

This spot is named "The View".

Screenshot_0340.jpg

We stayed for two days until we were ready to climb up to the Roof of the Galaxy (Rackham's Peak). It was good to be in deep space again, stars getting very thin but carrier density notifiably increasing. Due to upload constraints, reporting will have to be continued in the next article, though. Stay tuned!

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
I have been rather rudely attacked for writing the above, though. In particular for using the term 'snowflakes' (plural), and as I get it, for some people, I'm apparently about the root of evil and disrespect since. But no, I'm not. I simply used the term in lack of a better word to describe a certain combination of extreme sensitivity and very high demands regarding others, up to cancel demands, and I used it in a strictly general sense. I'm sorry if people find the term offensive, that clearly was not my intention. Please keep in mind I tried to be nice and listened to demands moving the thread here at all. I changed the text to make things clearer. Whether I'm worth the amount of open contempt shown for me or not is not for me to decide. I suggest putting me on the ignore list in case of doubt. That settles it from my side.

O7,
🙃
Brofist 🤜 man, don't let yourself get down by things like this. It's the internet.

I remember the thread and I offered Vernon to fly with him, but locations (I was in Colonia and he in the bubble, and then I had a hiatus) never made us connect in game.

Early this year my wife got cancer herself, but luckily recovered, making me shun the thread/story for some time because it hurt, although later it again was an inspiration,
because god damn that man Vernon took it to the chin and said "come on, more". So take some screenies for me and paint some names on systems in my stead 👍

The first part of the Tour Diary was added to the original thread Paul had set up and named 'Terminal Cancer Diagnosis', as we felt it was right to do something like an 'Acts 29' and document how things proceeded after his death. We underestimated the sensitivity of contemporary people, though, and ultimately got complaints from one person allegedly speaking for many others, demanding the title "Terminal Cancer Diagnosis" should be removed and the original thread be shut down, as the title "disheartens" some people and disturbs them in their fun playing a computer game.

I just do not understand some people.

Glad you continued on with the reporting and information on the events! That shot is stunning. I've never been that high above the plane.

Paul Vernon Memorial Tour: What happened since Skardee - Part II

On August 3rd, we finally left HR 6164. Our next target was Rackham's Peak (HIP 58832), the Ceiling of the Galaxy. But first, we made a short stint back to the Bubble, as the Proteus Wave was nearing completion and many of us wanted to take part in that epic event. Plus, the carrier could comfortably be refueled again at our home system, Teaka, which has Tritium in abundance. Even my Alt, The Truthful (that much for pretentious names) rather boldly, but successfully risked a run in Open with 784t Tritium on board of her unshielded, E-rated T-9 which added even more supplies, in addition to the 720t our Texaco Cutter initially stored. So we were generally well stocked for further adventures.

24 hours later, we were well into deep space again. It was a long travel, as carrier jumps are rather tedious because most of the time, you simply wait for another 20 mins to go on, but have to wait until the cooldown wears off before you can enter the next target still. But it was completely worth it. Our fears that the system might be blocked because of Console Transfer activists luckily proved to be unsubstantial, even though there are fleet carriers in about every system on the road. I'm glad I had some company, though.

Screenshot_0353.jpg

Screenshot_0355.jpg

Screenshot_0357.jpg

But then, we finally arrived and the view is absolute breathtaking, in particular in VR. You can look down on the entire galaxy. Rackham's Peak, at 5319 ly above the galactic plane, is the most distant sytem from the galactic plane. It can only be reached by fleet carriers, as the required jump range is too far for any ship known currently. Stars are getting thin on the way. Apart from the grand view, it features a landable Outpost which was only established in December 3306 plus some scientific installations.

Screenshot_0360.jpg

Screenshot_0363.jpg

Screenshot_0370.jpg

The Outpost is worth visiting for sure, in particular because of the bar which sells no beverages as always, but plays a much better set of music than the one on the carrier. And there are two landables we visited too. No plants unfortunately, but lots of Metallic Meteorites which yield Tungsten, Yttrium and such.

Screenshot_0371.jpg

Screenshot_0375.jpg

Screenshot_0379.jpg

Sadly, we had to depart again after the weekend, but it was for a good cause: mastering the 45g landing at KOI 1701, which is our next destination. Let's see if we can manage it!

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
We arrived at KOI 1701 shortly after midnight today and will stay there for some time (until the weekend at least), so that everyone has the chance to try that 45g planet. Initially, we parked the carrier in its orbit, but obviously the gravity is so high that the game didn't let us disembark even inside the carrier (which hinders selling stuff to Vista Genomics mainly).

unknown-1_edited.jpeg

(Picture courtesy of The Prof)

So we had to move on to planet 2 instead. There are two other carriers already here, one of them named Flatcat, possibly for a reason. Let's see ;)

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
Top Bottom