Pay2Win made it to Elite

Don't make assumptions about whether I like this direction of travel or not by the way :)

It's not an odd question when the thread is called Pay2Win. It's a genuine question. As to what you win in an online game, well that entirely depends on the game.

There are no levels, no rares or legendaries to spend months hunting which are time gated. Buying a pre-built ship is a time saver that's for sure, but p2w..? I'm just not sure how it applies to this situation.

So like I did with the LEP I suppose before the Beta. (My Kickstarter pledge also allowed me to start with a Cobra Mk. III and 1,000 credits)
P2W is a well-known term that's been around since prob before WOW as far as online games are concerned and it include Pay for Convenience. So, either you live under a rock in regard to what this pertains to, or you are trolling. You do know what trolling is, right?

Seems we hit rock bottom.
3 Month early access and pre-built ships for real life Moneys.

Store also seems to become more expensive since they used the word "Adjustment"

I never ever thought practices like this would make it to Elite.
Where's the pay to win?
What exactly do you win in Elite?

This is nowt like pay to win.
The Python is basically pay to get it early, just like pre purchase of an expansion.
Pre built ships and easier engineering will bring more folks to the game.
Are those that have been ranting about how difficult material gathering is now going to moan?
As long as this stuff is available to earn in game there is no issue as far as im concerned, at least your ships gained by normal means wont get wiped every year like Scam Citizen.

Folks have been asking how we can support development, im happy to hand over my cash, would have been happy to sub.

O7

It kind of sucks but I don't think I'd call it winning, really.

The "early access" to the Python II is weird, and kind of sucks, but I guess it's not much different from paying extra for an expansion pack and getting to play it early. I won't be paying extra to "early access" a ship either way. I don't like the regular Python; probably won't care for the Python II, either.

As for the other pre-builds.... So, you pay for a pre-built ship. Is the build engineered? If not, then what's really the point? Because engineering is where all the time investment is. If it is engineered, you still don't get the engineer unlocks and reputation level from buying this thing, so you're kind of just locked into the purchase with no real way to improve it or advance without investing the time you would've without opening your wallet.

So, my verdict is, that it kind of sucks, but isn't "the death of Elite" and maybe it'll just be a way for whales to inject some cash flow into the game so that it says running for longer. 🤷‍♂️

Sounds like the whole thing is getting a rework too. The news is sufficiently vague that the over-reactions I see here are too soon. Let's see what happens going forward. I got the impression that the stuff in the store will be lowered in cost, and/or maybe the 400 arx/week rate will change.

Just caught up with this watching buurpits video, I laughed out loud so hard.

Game is dead now, Talk about a cash grab, funny thing is its not even a brand new ship, just a variant.

Frontier have hit a new low, I kind of skipped the last part of his video, because no doubt it has a positive spin but you cant dress this up. TheYamiks going to have a field day with this.

Game is dead now
Sure mate, heard that before :ROFLMAO:
4bUvuvD.jpg

O7

So if I'm reading the tea bits right, FD have listened to players who feel engineering is a massive grind (via materials) and that for new players who are time poor (who moan about this) FD have gone- OK, lets make it more accessible.

I'm fine with that, but FD need to then make the core of the game less about upgrading ships and more about doing other things like PP 2.

All we are going to see are new players in ships they don't have the skills for (which is the same as now). We also don't know what these pre built ships are- are they G1, G2, 3 etc? If its a step up (to say, G3) but no further then thats fine- the only time its going to get messy is if FD tempt players with CG only modules or the CM4. Or both, for extra salt.

I find that it's an announcement that is good news. The purchase remains optional. Frontier Developments offers an alternative for casual players / secondary accounts (very interresting for me). Pre-built ships will likely be limited (in terms of choice possibilities) but it will probably prevent having to visit engineers just to enjoy certain gameplay aspects (AX, exploration, etc).

If this allows more players who don't want to spend hundreds (yes, yes) of hours farming, I am 100% agree!

The more players there are, the longer the game will last. That's my opinion. And if it means going through the store, I don't mind at all!

Congratulations Frontier, it's an ambitious and modern choice!

Last edited:
So if I'm reading the tea bits right, FD have listened to players who feel engineering is a massive grind (via materials) and that for new players who are time poor (who moan about this) FD have gone- OK, lets make it more accessible.

I'm fine with that, but FD need to then make the core of the game less about upgrading ships and more about doing other things like PP 2.

All we are going to see are new players in ships they don't have the skills for (which is the same as now). We also don't know what these pre built ships are- are they G1, G2, 3 etc? If its a step up (to say, G3) but no further then thats fine- the only time its going to get messy is if FD tempt players with CG only modules or the CM4. Or both, for extra salt.
Best to start saving up your pennies in case Frontier make PP 2 ARX to early access.

What makes you think so?
From the Update site: "A ‘Pre-built’ ship package will include instant-access to a pre-fitted ship, a ship kit, and a paintjob – and will typically be themed to match an activity within the game. For example, if you’re looking to jump into the current AX conflict against the Titans, the AX Combat Jumpstart package will give instant access to an Alliance Chieftain with all the necessary modules to go straight into the action within the maelstrom."

If it does NOT come with engineered modules, this is a lie. You do not go into a Maelstrom with unengineered ships. (Except of course the Top 1% Pilots who do this to produce Youtube Videos but i doubt they target the Top 1% of Pilots with this.)

Top Bottom