Perhaps it's time to stop pinging Sally for every little thing

They were meant to have different days to be on duty I believe. i think and this is just a guess.. that the reason we see Sally so much is that she's the best at it and they asked her to take on that role for others. Either way it's up to Frontier how they manage their community and we don't have to worry about their internal workings. Literally just the other day she was saying essentially don't worry about how we do things internally just worry about the results.

They are community managers, it's up to them to manage the community. Literally their job. We of course shouldn't be jerks about it and I appreciate the sentiment of the OP that we shouldn't ping them for useless stuff that we know we won't get an answer to. That doesn't mean we shouldn't say how we are feeling though as this is literally what the forum is about but maybe tagging a CM without a legitamate prob could be toned down!

Somebody pinged Sally to ask if there was going to be a important narrative influencing CG next week. That's the sort of thing that can not and will not be answered by anyone.

People are asking for specific issues from the tracker to be looked into and for information about what's happening to them. That's not how the issue tracker works.

You wouldn't message anyone specific for either of those.
Perhaps if someone could tell us what are appropriate topics to tag her in on, it will help. Then make it a sticky post somewhere visible on the forum.

This may already exist - if so, can someone post a link to it?

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
They are community managers, it's up to them to manage the community. Literally their job. We of course shouldn't be jerks about it and I appreciate the sentiment of the OP that we shouldn't ping them for useless stuff that we know we won't get an answer to. That doesn't mean we shouldn't say how we are feeling though as this is literally what the forum is about but maybe tagging a CM without a legitamate prob could be toned down!
I would suggest that entirely depends on how many times you pushing the same thing, despite being repeatedly told the answer.

Perhaps if someone could tell us what are appropriate topics to tag her in on, it will help. Then make it a sticky post somewhere visible on the forum.

This may already exist - if so, can someone post a link to it?
It is up to Sally who she responds to. This thread is just a simple suggestion from a forum user who personally thinks things are getting out of hand.

I would suggest that entirely depends on how many times you pushing the same thing, despite being repeatedly told the answer.
Take for instance Rubbernuke asking about powerplay. It is fully right that he continues asking until something is done but if he were to ping her with every post that would obviously be annoying and he doesn't (Hope he doesn't mind me using him as an example) But honestly we are now in a situation that if you don't constanty ask for something you may as well give up because leaving an issue on the issue tracker and walking away just isn't going to get it fixed in the current climate.

It is up to Sally who she responds to. This thread is just a simple suggestion from a forum user who personally thinks things are getting out of hand.
I appreciate the sentiment, but it's somewhat unhelpful and unrealistic to ask people to stop messaging her without providing any guidance on what is appropriate to message her about. 🤷‍♂️

If you go to a complaints department with a genuine complaint you shouldn't be told "Oh no you can't complain about that..only good comments here please" People are understandably frustrated with the current state of Elite.

TLDR:
  • Have a generic CM account that we can ping
  • Have a "CM acknowledges this feedback" button on the website.

I've provided (hopefully useful) feedback.
To ensure that it gets read, I've pinged Sally, but I would much prefer to have pinged a generic CM account.
Also the feedback that I've provided has been in a form that a CM can't really reply to IE how long it's taken to unlock an engineer.
So just a simple "CM has read this" button similar to the "like", but only CMs could trigger would be good. That way feedback is acknowledged while no effort is spent giving a response. (The effort of course goes in behind the scenes).

Sally is a wonderful human being, and someone who tries very hard to be understanding and engaging. However she also feels a personal burden to respond to those who message her, even if it might be to the detriment of herself.

When Sally first started responding on the forums to posts with regularity it was only supposed to be a once a week thing, as the team were going to share the days around. But because Sally is very personable more and more people just started pinging her directly all hours of the day/night and over the weekend too. Responding to hundreds of comments a day is not her main job and people now have the opinion that she will respond and some get annoyed when it doesn't happen quickly enough for them, this can easily result in other areas suffering or the work carrying over into personal time.

Sally's signature isn't an exaggeration. So I'd just ask you have a bit more restraint and stop pinging Sally for everything thinking she's going to solve all your issues, because she will want to try, and that is putting undue pressure on her. Sally has shown great kindness to us here, let's repay it.
Source: https://twitter.com/smorganmoore/status/1437698225138511872
True and I agree, but there's another evident solution here... maybe FDEV could hire someone to support her...

If you go to a complaints department with a genuine complaint you shouldn't be told "Oh no you can't complain about that..only good comments here please" People are understandably frustrated with the current state of Elite.
Interesting take. I used to be a complaints officer for my employer (a government department with over 50,000 staff) and I can assure you that when someone has contacted you 17 times about the exact same issue, adding no new facts or otherwise informing the discussion, it's entirely reasonable to reply with something along the lines of 'I have already answered this in full the third time you contacted me and do not propose to enter into further correspondence on the matter.'

Which, not trying to be snide here, is pretty much exactly what Sally said yesterday.

Our concern is not what happens behind the curtain though as has been pointed out. We are only to concern ourselves with results. But the original post is about not needlessly pinging the poor person who's job it is to respond and that i can get behind.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I appreciate the sentiment, but it's somewhat unhelpful and unrealistic to ask people to stop messaging her without providing any guidance on what is appropriate to message her about. 🤷‍♂️
Perhaps it is indeed unrealistic, but it's the obvious stuff I'm going for. You wouldn't realistically ping a staff member asking them to tell you where Raxxla is because it's a question that is obviously not going to get an answer. You shouldn't ping a staff member asking to tell you what the next part of the storyline will be about, because you're obviously not going to get an answer. I would also suggest that pinging someone to try and push an issue when it's already been said that's not how the system works is also counter productive.

If you remove the obvious fluff then it leaves more time to focus on questions/issues that might at least get an answer.

Take for instance Rubbernuke asking about powerplay. It is fully right that he continues asking until something is done but if he were to ping her with every post that would obviously be annoying and he doesn't (Hope he doesn't mind me using him as an example) But honestly we are now in a situation that if you don't constanty ask for something you may as well give up because leaving an issue on the issue tracker and walking away just isn't going to get it fixed in the current climate.
Not in the same thread he doesn't.

What does that have to do with this topic? Nothing is the answer you're looking for.

Interesting take. I used to be a complaints officer for my employer (a government department with over 50,000 staff) and I can assure you that when someone has contacted you 17 times about the exact same issue, adding no new facts or otherwise informing the discussion, it's entirely reasonable to reply with something along the lines of 'I have already answered this in full the third time you contacted me and do not propose to enter into further correspondence on the matter.'
Yeah I guess so but there is also the thought that if you stop complaining about it or enough people don't make a noise about something it just won't get done. Really a culture has been created where we are like the birds in the nest crying out louder than our starving siblings in order to get the morsel. None of us want to be here, we just want to be well fed. Most customers would really rather not have anything to do with the compaints department in the first place.
What does that have to do with this topic? Nothing is the answer you're looking for.
Respectfully I would say it has everything to do with the subject.

Yeah I guess so but there is also the thought that if you stop complaining about it or enough people don't make a noise about something it just won't get done.
For most people, the last time this approach might have achieved the desired effect is when they were 7 and begging for that special Christmas present. See also:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPbJn8PFpdo

Note: Bart and Lisa are 10 and 8 respectively.

It's not an approach that tends to yield results for adults dealing with corporate entities. Unless being ignored and added to a blocklist is considered a result :D

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
If I take my moderator hat off for a moment, I don't think anyone should ping a Community Manager out of the blue for a simple question. If there is anything player need to know it's done in the form of an announcement. If there's a basic question that can be answered by players then the forum is a place to do it.

Edit: You also have to put yourselves in their shoes. Would you be able to answer over 100 pings on the forum and multiple DM's. It's just not humanly possible.

For most people, the last time this approach might have achieved the desired effect is when they were 7 and begging for that special Christmas present. See also:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPbJn8PFpdo

Note: Bart and Lisa are 10 and 8 respectively.

It's not an approach that tends to yield results for adults dealing with corporate entities. Unless being ignored and added to a blocklist is considered a result :D
The problem for me though is the mismatch of FD not developing something further due to lack of perceived interest (when only new players gets dev attention) and if you stay quiet...nothing happens. Its a fine line of putting your point across and not becoming the pain with ED.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Respectfully I would say it has everything to do with the subject.
At no point did I say people with genuine complaints should keep quiet and not post them. People do it all the time.

But if you went to the complaints department of a small chain of restaurants for example and said "this one restaurant took too long to get my food, I can see you have x employees in your company it should be enough, I think you need to hire more chefs". Not really sure that's a genuine complaint.

Not that this thread was about complaints in the first place.

The problem for me though is the mismatch of FD not developing something further due to lack of perceived interest (when only new players gets dev attention) and if you stay quiet...nothing happens. Its a fine line of putting your point across and not becoming the pain with ED.
This is the thing though - if I saw 10,000 people posting a question, I'd take that as demonstrating a high level of interest. If I saw one person posting 10,000 questions, I'd take that as an obsessive individual.

I just realised how that could come across lol, note that wasn't a dig about your powerplay efforts or anything :ROFLMAO:

This is the thing though - if I saw 10,000 people posting a question, I'd take that as demonstrating a high level of interest. If I saw one person posting 10,000 questions, I'd take that as an obsessive individual.
1631707387616.png

The problem with that though is most of the people who would complain now feel its futile and stopped coming to this forum.

Top Bottom