Ships Picking an explorer between DBX and Krait MK2

Hi CMDRs,

Can't seem to decide between those two for a long range expedition - general plan is to travel bubble > Colonia > Sag A and from there eventually to Beagle, using some weird less traveled routes. After about 10k in each - i still can't make up my mind.

DBX pros:
Really nimble and enjoyable to fly both SC and normal space.
More range.
Overall better cockpit view.
Runs colder, than my ex's heart.

DBX cons:
Small scoop, although it's really not a deal breaker for me.
Interior designed by communists Lakon.
No SLF.

MK2 pros:
Has SLF (zoomies, when i'll feel insanity closing in).
Bigger internals.
Arguably, looks better on screenshots.

MK2 cons:
Less range.
Worse cockpit view, although it's a close one due to bottom windows.
Can get pretty hot, if careless.
Somewhat sluggish handling in normal and SC.

Overall, range difference between the two is exactly 10.3ly, when outfitted/engineered to my liking (55.2 vs 65.5). Just to add, I don't want AspX, Phantom or Conda.

What would you pick, CMDRs? Appreciate any feedback/advice, o7.

I'm in the same boat as you - none of them are perfect, they're all different compromises, and you've summed up these two nicely.

Just to add, I don't want AspX, Phantom or Conda.

You could settle for a Dolphin like I did then (it runs so cool you might get back with your ex).

I've taken a DBX to beagle point and back. She made a fine ship. Unless you plan on using Neutron boosts you can easily drop down to a 8 ton fuel tank. A 4a fuel scoop will fill you up or close enough in the time it takes to traverse around the sun and aim for your next jump point if you aren't planning on sticking around to survey the system.

My current fringe explorer is a DBX that consumes 2/3 thirds of my fuel reserve per jump. The constant threat of death from a single unscoopable star in a low star density area keeps me alert on long voyages. The Kraits, Conda and Asp explorer feel to comfortable and easy for my likes.

The Krait Phantom you should be looking at per what I'm seeing in your post. It compares better to the DBX. Take them both out of the bubble for a spin say 5000 LY without engineering then decide which one feels better for your game play going into the black and gain explorer experience. Every ship and player is different. What others did may not work for you. Find your way. That is what ED is all about. Didn't you get the memo? :)

Regards

I've dragged a Python 21,000ly, I thought I would need lots of module space and it's true, you can go well packed but on reflection, I didn't need it.

I have a DBX, travelled a fair bit in it, nowhere near 21,000ly, I like it, if @Zannry can get one to Beagle Point, you know it can do the job.

I know it is not in your choices but my fave explorer is the Dolphin. Has enough module space to take what you need. Mine can jump at around 51ly a go. Can land on a sixpence. Nice cockpit view. Never overheats. good boost for getting to a planet surface. I love it.

I think @Hooplah offers good advice, take a trip out, 5k loop or something, in each one. Find what you like doing when out in the black and if the ship allows you to do that efficiently, comfortably, both or neither. You'll either find the ship of your choice or go back to the drawing board.

Thanks XloubeIIXX for advice. I might add with the amazing camera abilities in ED deciding what to fly because what you see from the cockpit means nothing. Work on the ED camera bindings then fly any ship you desire. Even the ships with the best view will never compare to the camera.

I have a lot of Kraits but my explorer is a DBX. The scoop thing is overblown on this board I think. The DBX runs cool, especially if you engineer it with this as a priority. That lets you scoop at or close to max rate. And unless you are just dropping and waking (and not exploring), you're going to spend a few minutes at least scanning the system. The DBX is great to scan while scooping with no worries and at a good rate due to how tight you can tuck it in to the star.

This is the DBX I took to Colonia a couple months ago. Good jump, supercruises under 20% heat, SRV, fair protection against mishaps. She got it done without complaint.

Mad Hops

Krait 2 would be fine too, my favorite ship. Jump range is only important on the trip home :)

Last edited:
if it helps, i have both, fully engineered, but i use the phantom way more as the dbx refueling time just frustrates me way to much. more than my exploraconda too.

that said, but fav is still the aspx.

It is about patience in exploration willing to hang around in a DBX with a lower class Fuel Scoop waiting around a star to refuel. Some might say if a player doesn't have that patience then don't go into the black. Build the ship that works for you. There are many options. I used an A-Rated engineered Orca to get to Colonia on the Newtron Highway. Go figure.

Last edited:
I've used both the DBX and the Krait MK2 for exploration. I prefer the DBX, but I have, in fact, used the Krait's SLF to do a little "canyon running" for giggles. It really depends on what you want. That 10 ly difference didn't really matter all that much to me, but, then I've never made it to Beagle Point and have no desire too. :)

That said, while the canyon running was fun, I could just as easily get my fix in the SRV. Sure the view's not as much fun, but the SLF range limit put a damper on just how far I could range.

My two cents...

I'm in the same boat as you - none of them are perfect, they're all different compromises, and you've summed up these two nicely.
You could settle for a Dolphin like I did then (it runs so cool you might get back with your ex).

Nice idea, but i'm not feeling comfy in Saud Kruger cockpits. Feels like an orgy is about to start, any minute now :)

I've taken a DBX to beagle point and back. She made a fine ship. Unless you plan on using Neutron boosts you can easily drop down to a 8 ton fuel tank. A 4a fuel scoop will fill you up or close enough in the time it takes to traverse around the sun and aim for your next jump point if you aren't planning on sticking around to survey the system.

My current fringe explorer is a DBX that consumes 2/3 thirds of my fuel reserve per jump. The constant threat of death from a single unscoopable star in a low star density area keeps me alert on long voyages. The Kraits, Conda and Asp explorer feel to comfortable and easy for my likes.

That's hardcore mode, I doubt i'd feel comfortable without some fuel in reserve, heh. But I 100% agree with your last sentence.

The Krait Phantom you should be looking at per what I'm seeing in your post. It compares better to the DBX. Take them both out of the bubble for a spin say 5000 LY without engineering then decide which one feels better for your game play going into the black and gain explorer experience. Every ship and player is different. What others did may not work for you. Find your way. That is what ED is all about. Didn't you get the memo? :)

I actually quite dislike the Phantom. Can't really pinpoint why, I just do. To be totally honest - only reason I'm even considering M2 - is SLF for some fun times. But knowing me - I'd probably crash all 6 into rocks within 2 days tops. And then i'd just be stuck with 20 ton of a hangar.

I've dragged a Python 21,000ly, I thought I would need lots of module space and it's true, you can go well packed but on reflection, I didn't need it.

Yup, my longest round trip so far was about 18-20k ly, and that was in DBX, and I really didn't feel like I'm missing anything.

I have a lot of Kraits but my explorer is a DBX. The scoop thing is overblown on this board I think. The DBX runs cool, especially if you engineer it with this as a priority. That lets you scoop at or close to max rate. And unless you are just dropping and waking (and not exploring), you're going to spend a few minutes at least scanning the system. The DBX is great to scan while scooping with no worries and at a good rate due to how tight you can tuck it in to the star.

This is the DBX I took to Colonia a couple months ago. Good jump, supercruises under 20% heat, SRV, fair protection against mishaps. She got it done without complaint.

Mad Hops

Krait 2 would be fine too, my favorite ship. Jump range is only important on the trip home :)

Totally agree with about everything you said. I also never seen scooping as an issue, since it can scoop while I FSS, take a smoke break, grab a drink, do literally anything else, and DBX meanwhile is literally stuffing it's face into the star, barely going over 60% heat.

In any case, spending the evening exclusively with the Krait today - I'll be settling on DBX. Can easily imagine spending months in that cozy communist spartan cabin, while Krait - even one evening was tiresome. Seriously though - DBX wins me over with it's agility, view and... charm? And, it can carry exactly everything I need.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Dolphin, as long as you don't need 70+ light years per jump, it's better than the DBx in basically every metric .

Mine can make 5 57.5Ly jumps before needing to scoop. And it's class 4 scoop can pull in a jump worth of fuel in just 9.6 seconds. Faster than your FSD can cool down.

She has great handling, a great view, can land just about anywhere and, enough room for everything you need.

Do you force yourself to use things you don't like? I don't.
It was more or less a joke of course.

Stats wise the Phantom is just one of the best if not the best explorer out there.

But sure, if you don't like it by all means don't fly it (y)

It was more or less a joke of course.

Stats wise the Phantom is just one of the best if not the best explorer out there.

But sure, if you don't like it by all means don't fly it (y)

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like an a-hole, 'tis been a long day. I agree, that on paper it's an amazing ship, but I just don't enjoy flying it. o7

I went the DBX route. I took it to Colonia and back, using the highway. I stayed in the deep black to finish my exploration Elite.

scratches head God bless those who find that fun.

I went with the no thrills\frills approach.

Once you get out there, any ship can go from star system to star system, unless you start heading to the edges, in which case jump range matters. Range also matter because the boost from Neutrons is based on 'base' jump range. The longer yours is, the longer you jump. The fewer jumps you end up having to do.

I'll agree with what others have said. The best ship for any activity in ED is the one you enjoy flying the most. Good luck commander!

Top Bottom