General / Off-Topic Planet Safari- next up.

For those interested in the future. <3

When Frontier published their 2015 Annual Report and Accounts (Frontier is a publicly traded company), they analyzed their transition phase to self-published focused franchises. A nice part on the report is the following.

blE3vEF.png

Searching for the Trademarks Frontier has registered, we get a glimpse on their next project.

UjmkacV.png

Now..this has been known to regulars for some time. Before Planet Coaster was announced, the project had another game, Coaster Park Tycoon. Together with it, another trademark was registered with the name of Safari Park Tycoon. It seems like Frontiers choice to move away from the "Tycoon" moniker for their IP projects has also changed their other plan.

So, from the look of things, it seems like Frontier will move next to a self-published CMS/Business simulation game with zoo-animal content. Looking forward to it personally, a proper PC Zoo Tycoon!

And no, this is probably not an expansion to Planet Coaster, but a new franchise.

Last edited:

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Well if you've ever seent the quality of the animals FD did in kinetimals....

91P%2B6EGu8ML._SL1500_.jpg

Stunning.

And for those with an evil sense of humour Joel and Jack did a review of it with added extras.

Mike Brookes put me on to this years ago and I still laugh myself silly evertime I see it.

Please note, not suitable for young children check first.

[video=youtube;AEUULIs_UWE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEUULIs_UWE[/video]

Last edited:
I'd love to see Frontier set free to make a zoo game without the shackles a major publisher. The Zoo Tycoon franchise always felt like it had the potential to be great but was restrained by just how much Microsoft wanted to keep the game kid friendly. I really hope this becomes more than just a trademark.

Great find. I assume this will be their next big project after Planet Coaster.

I hope we still get a safari/zoo expansion pack though. I loved creating adventure parks with animals and coasters.

Sawyer1

Planet Coaster Ambassador
I would cry with happiness! (Coming from a previous Zoo Keeper in real life!)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

WAIT

I SWEAR IF THIS IS APRIL FOOLS...

Frontier is bringing back the early 2000s. Rollercoaster Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon. It'd be cool if they went through with it, but I'm not sure a zoo tycoon would be successful now a days. [sad]

Now if Frontier actually did go through with it with the same quality as Planet Coaster, I'd make a small prediction that Frontier would be Nerd³'s favourite company ever.

Sawyer1

Planet Coaster Ambassador
It's real.
I LOOKED. I AM FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great find. I assume this will be their next big project after Planet Coaster.

I hope we still get a safari/zoo expansion pack though. I loved creating adventure parks with animals and coasters.

I think I would prefer a Jurassic Theme expansion pack with animatronic dinosaurs, rather than one with Zoo animals..

I think I would prefer a Jurassic Theme expansion pack with animatronic dinosaurs, rather than one with Zoo animals..

1238895886504840879.jpg

I mean, its post release content. If the game is strong, the incentive will be there to add pretty much everything RCT3 had with the expansions. And more.

It's real.
I LOOKED. I AM FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[big grin]

Those of us that are Elite Dangerous backers sorta knew about this since the time of listing or so...we were looking about the theme for the next E:D expansions when we first saw the Coaster Park Tycoon / Safari Park Tycoon / Water Park Tycoon trademark applications. I just thought of posting this here too, since it is an interesting tidbit about their future plans.

Here is some more speculation. Judging from the fact that there was a separate trademark originally for the "water", the first thoughts at the time were that Frontier were going for another game (or a separate season, like Elite:Horizons) instead of an expansion. After the tycoon moniker got dropped and the water park trademark was not renewed, we knew that Frontier probably changed their plans for this.

It is assumed that the - simulation evolved - motto may actually be planned as an umbrella term for new franchises in the CMS/business management genre for Frontier, after they complete their transition to a fully self-publishing model (instead of also doing contracting work for other publishers). The end of the transition phase seems to coincide with PCs retail release and the announcement of a new IP. Will be happy to see how this unfolds...

With the first release of PC and the announcement of a third IP franchise.

Last edited:
Planet Safari?
I hope Chief Beef doesn't get eaten by a lion. [haha][haha]
That would be so cool. Do you see him running in the cage? [squeeeeee][squeeeeee]

Planet Coaster was called Coaster park tycoon in the early developments.
They had planned a water expension pack because they bought the name: "Water park tycoon."
62c62a487704be01598721269e173b3c.png

Last edited:
Planet Safari?
I hope Chief Beef doesn't get eaten by a lion. [haha][haha]
That would be so cool. Do you see him running in the cage? [squeeeeee][squeeeeee]

Chief Beef would be Gulped on by Gulpee! (is Gulped even a word?)

But uhhhh, Planet Safari might very well not be an expansion but more like a Zoo Tycoon type of game. Which still has all of my yes!

But uhhhh, Planet Safari might very well not be an expansion but more like a Zoo Tycoon type of game. Which still has all of my yes!

It is definitely a zoo tycoon game.

Planet Coaster was called Coaster park tycoon in the early developments.
They had planned a water expension pack because they bought the name: "Water park tycoon."

This one did not survive the name change. Water features for PC will probably come in a standard expansion.

Planet Safari, I would love that as an expansion actually.

I want this game to be as complete as possible, every imaginable thing avalable

I was really hoping they would follow suit in RCT3... Soaked + Wild! were great expansions and I hope they can do the same with PC

Lets wait, see and hope. I would love to see those as an add on.

As i mentioned before. Why not create something which can be a stand alone game, but also an add on.
The launcher could check which version is installed an get just the files needed. Couldn't it?

Sounds really good as a new franchise! I definedly prefeere it separet from Planet Coaster, buuuut who knows....

By t way, what i just know is.. I'm in love with FRONTIER hhahaha [big grin]

Top Bottom