Planet Zoo: Arid Animal Pack and Free Update 1.14 Out Now! 🐪

In the Animal Trading Center the Porcupine is listed as "West African" while if you are looking for it in the filter list for enrichment items to build a habitat it says "North African"

Am I the only one confused as to why the Black Rhino is in the arid pack? Please tell me it's not catogorised as a desert animal in game?

Can the dromedary be renamed please? "Dromedar" is enough in the German version. No need for the "Kamel" behind. Thank you 🙏 ☺️
20230625163333_1.jpg

Can the dromedary be renamed please? "Dromedar" is enough in the German version. No need for the "Kamel" behind. Thank you 🙏 ☺️
View attachment 359660
Dromedar is not even enough in German language, Dromedar-Kamel is just wrong. I mean the Bactrian Camel is luckily also not called Trampeltier-Kamel 😅 (I Just looked up "Baktrisches Kamel" would even have been right, too). But I must say there are some other Strange namings in German, especially the Malaysian Tapir. I have never Seen the German "Malaysischer Tapir" (even when it would have been right, too) but in all the Zoos I have visited it is called "Schabrackentapir".

Dromedar is not even enough in German language, Dromedar-Kamel is just wrong. I mean the Bactrian Camel is luckily also not called Trampeltier-Kamel 😅 (I Just looked up "Baktrisches Kamel" would even have been right, too). But I must say there are some other Strange namings in German, especially the Malaysian Tapir. I have never Seen the German "Malaysischer Tapir" (even when it would have been right, too) but in all the Zoos I have visited it is called "Schabrackentapir".
Absolutely! It's also a lot easier! I've never seen anyone at the zoo say "OHH, schau dir diesen niedlichen Malaysischen Tapir an" ("OHH look at that cute Malaysian tapir") :ROFLMAO:

And while we're at it:
Malaysischer Tapir =>Schabrackentapir (as you said)
Babirusa =>Hirscheber
we can argue about the sun bear. I like the "Malaien Bär" better.
These terms are simply more common in the German language. I would be happy if they could be changed. 🙏

Am I the only one confused as to why the Black Rhino is in the arid pack? Please tell me it's not catogorised as a desert animal in game?
They do live in the Namib desert, which is a true Desert. I do though think of them as more of a grassland animal. It has both the desert and grassland tag. It does have a noticeable sand requirement, but I actually don't mind it. In sand box, it doesnt matter and in Franchise it makes habitats look more realistic.

View attachment 359660
I agree, I hope this is going to be changed.

Also, I'm a bit confused by the German name of the porcupine. I've expected it to be called "Nordafrikanisches Stachelschwein" or "Gewöhnliches Stachelschwein" but it's called "Westafrikanisches Stachelschwein". The name's not wrong but it's not the common one.

Ok so for some reason, the sand cat has these weirdly asymmetrical whiskers. I don't know what causes this but I hope it can be rectified soon

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    296.8 KB · Views: 85
They do live in the Namib desert, which is a true Desert. I do though think of them as more of a grassland animal. It has both the desert and grassland tag. It does have a noticeable sand requirement, but I actually don't mind it. In sand box, it doesnt matter and in Franchise it makes habitats look more realistic.
Unlike white rhinos, which are grazers, therefore need access to grass year-round (which becomes an issue in true deserts), black rhinos actually do well in deserts. In the northern and eastern parts of their range they are mostly extinct from the more arid regions, but in the southwest they are still found in the Namib.

While they are indeed found in true deserts, additionally, it has lately become fairly common for Frontier to add 'Desert' biome suitability to animals that are only found in semi-deserts. The crested porcupine is a good example to that, which reminds me that some base game and early DLC animals should also get this treatment. As for the black rhino sand terrain requirement, the minimum tolerance threshold should probably be open ended/flexible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom