Planet Zoo Mods?

I found some Mods to Improve Animal Looks, but on using them Game Crashed. Had to Verify Files, have Frontier blocked this or can i stop this happening
I want to point out that in a game with regular updates, new updates are bound to break some old mods, and yes, installing them will crash your game if they have not been updated. This is the case for EVERY game that has modding, including The Sims, ARK, so on. However, this does not cause any actual lasting damage- and if you're careful and make absolute sure the mods you're using are up to date, you won't run into any problems. Take note of the upload/update date on any mods you download, and make sure they've been updated since the last major game update- if they're updated, they'll work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Frontier's preferred method of raising awareness of their games though.

Remember what happened with Planet Zoo reviews? (Or lack of until after the game was out)

Quite obvious as a review is usually placed once after release. Why make another one a year down the line?

When modders are doing amazing things like this, it is hard to not appreciate the tremendous effort they do. And is why supporting modders can benefit the developers.
(photo removed)

When modders are doing amazing things like this, it is hard to not appreciate the tremendous effort they do. And is why supporting modders can benefit the developers.
Well, but these things were done without mod support of the company.

I said it once, I say it again: The Sims only survived that long because of Mods. But you know what? It is not officially supported. There was,in all this years, only one an official mod tool and that was only for walls and floors in the Sims 1.

Official mod support would mean, Frontier needed resources (time, people, money) to test the quality of mods. It would also mean, it would make bug fixing even harder, as they also had to test the game with at least the most popular mods. If you smack "official support" before any mod, then everything changes. And yes, at the moment Mods would indeed be problematic for selling DLCs, in my opinion. I agree that many players would switch out modded animals with original ones, once they are released. Nut not always.

I wish they would give us a way to include animals without overwriting others at the end of the lifespan of the game. Maybe also theme makers toolkit (which also were controversial due to bad quality of some items). But until then, people should use and make mods at their own risk. And not demanding that mods will be served to them on a silverplate.

Well, but these things were done without mod support of the company.

I said it once, I say it again: The Sims only survived that long because of Mods. But you know what? It is not officially supported. There was,in all this years, only one an official mod tool and that was only for walls and floors in the Sims 1.

Official mod support would mean, Frontier needed resources (time, people, money) to test the quality of mods. It would also mean, it would make bug fixing even harder, as they also had to test the game with at least the most popular mods. If you smack "official support" before any mod, then everything changes. And yes, at the moment Mods would indeed be problematic for selling DLCs, in my opinion. I agree that many players would switch out modded animals with original ones, once they are released. Nut not always.

I wish they would give us a way to include animals without overwriting others at the end of the lifespan of the game. Maybe also theme makers toolkit (which also were controversial due to bad quality of some items). But until then, people should use and make mods at their own risk. And not demanding that mods will be served to them on a silverplate.
That's not how it works.

"Mod support" does not mean the company actively reviews mods and works directly with the modders. Mod support simply means the developers make the game easy to mod, for ex. via releasing a "Dev Kit".

The Sims has mod support. It is not a "modding tool", HOWEVER the game is specifically made in such a way as to easily accept mod files. Literally all you have to do to mod The Sims is drop a .package file into a "Mods" folder. The game even very specifically has mod-related options in its menus- including an INGAME OPTION to disable/enable custom scripts. With The Sims, it is MADE to be able to easily load new files. The same thing goes for Skyrim as well.

ARK and Atlas released a "devkit" for their games that allows them to add in new dinos, systems, recode things, and so on, and then upload those mods to the workshop and easily install them. Wildcard does not review mods. Wildcard does not test mod quality. They DO on occasion have "mod spotlights" and will hire modders to integrate their mods into the official game, but they do not sit there and manually review mods.

When we ask for "official mod support", all we are asking for is:

A. The tools to be able to add things to the game, i.e. a dev kit,
or:
B. A way for the game to easily be able to read and load new files, scripts, and so on, without NEEDING an official tool, and being able to put mod files in a mods folder and just... load them. All it should require for the game to recognize a new animal is to drag and drop a folder with an animal OVL, OVS, so on, and a custom OVL with animals.fdb file for behavior coding. Right now, we have to /replace/ existing animals in order to make new animals, and the game will not load any new files- only replacements. There is testing going on currently on adding new animals, but it's estimated to only be possible via sacrificing scenery objects and using their files for the new animal- which... we shouldn't have to do that.

We are not asking for quality testing. We are not asking for Frontier to review mods. All we are asking for is for Frontier to stop making the game intentionally difficult to mod, and instead make the game more receptive to loading new files/scripts/so on so that modding is easier.

Modding Planet Zoo could be as easy as it is in the Sims, Zoo Tycoon 2, Skyrim, or etc- but atm it's just needlessly complicated and a lot of things are straight up impossible when really, there's no reason for them to be.

When we ask for "official mod support", all we are asking for is:

A. The tools to be able to add things to the game, i.e. a dev kit,
or:
B. A way for the game to easily be able to read and load new files, scripts, and so on, without NEEDING an official tool, and being able to put mod files in a mods folder and just... load them. All it should require for the game to recognize a new animal is to drag and drop a folder with an animal OVL, OVS, so on, and a custom OVL with animals.fdb file for behavior coding. Right now, we have to /replace/ existing animals in order to make new animals, and the game will not load any new files- only replacements. There is testing going on currently on adding new animals, but it's estimated to only be possible via sacrificing scenery objects and using their files for the new animal- which... we shouldn't have to do that.

I think that's a lot to ask for.
Handing out free tools to create free stuff/animals for PZ doesn't sound that great from a business POV. I can see they wouldn't easily hand out tools to allow that kind of access to their own unique game-engine.

All we are asking for is for Frontier to stop making the game intentionally difficult to mod
Or even Denuvo (heard some pretty good arguments for this one).

I'm not saying this is your intention (just to make it clear) but I've seen some arguments that basically means: "I don't fully like the game in this state and want the tools to create the PZ I personally want" - I can see why a developer wouldn't release tools to support that.
If people don't like the game, just don't buy (or with a discount) but I don't agree with people that buy a game and find out that this isn't their game and later "demand" tools just because they disapprove of some features/DLC releases. Bought my share of "bad" games and never expected that the dev should change the game to make it a "personal good" game.

Modding Planet Zoo could be as easy as it is in the Sims, Zoo Tycoon 2, Skyrim, or etc- but atm it's just needlessly complicated and a lot of things are straight up impossible when really, there's no reason for them to be.
Property / copyright protection of game or game-engine.
If you give out to tools for PZ - most likely those tools can be used for other Frontier games as well.
And you have the online part - modding does allow for more cheating in that mode. GTA5/Online was infamous for that one.

Official mod support would mean, Frontier needed resources (time, people, money) to test the quality of mods. It would also mean, it would make bug fixing even harder, as they also had to test the game with at least the most popular mods
xTosca is right on this one - Frontier wouldn't have to put in their resources to test anything. Bug fixing would be more difficult because Frontier doesn't know which bugs are legit.

Like I said before, support for mods when official support runs out would be my preference. But expect no modding tools to be released.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
Had to delete some posts. If the discussion of PZ Mods can't be more civil in tone then this thread will eventually be locked. So please continue in a kinder manner than what's been displayed.
Thank you!

Last edited:
In Reality i just want the ability to make Custom Items, and Frontier to either look at Modders of Animals, as they have made some great changes.
Would help if Construction Items were adjustable, as sometimes you can not get what you want. Maybe ability to Colour Change them too.
I do not want People to think i am Moaning ;) but trying to be Practical. OK i am no Great Constructor and have full Admiration for those whose Designs are Stunning and use Occasionally. Please be Civil this is a Great Community

2 things I would like to point out are (for JW:E, the PZ scene isn't too hopping which is sad)

1. Mods are getting more and more intricate and advanced to the point where many creations stand against if not trump their original counterparts.
2. Mods shake up the game for both players and content creators, especially the ones on YouTube like BestinSlot and TheGamingBeaver.

It's definitely in Frontier's best interests to full support modding once they're done making paid dlc for the game. The ability to download animals without have to replace already existing ones would be huge. ZT2 came out in 2004 and people are still playing it and making mods (although less so now that PZ is a thing).

Obviously it depends a great deal on what features or game-changing mechanics Frontier does, or does not, add into PZ as that will be a huge factor in terms of this game and it's community's longevity. Nut I think it's fair to say a supported modding community could easily carry this game for 10 years or more, barring PZ2 coming anytime this decade.

I'm also going to get a bit personal and say that the amount of blood, sweat, tears, and LOVE that goes into the best mods should be rewarded. I hang out with modders a lot and while I'm not religious, God bless these people. The amount of patience and artistic skill some of my friends have is, with no exaggeration, grounds to have Frontier give them an immediate job application.

I'd love to see something like The Sims has as well. Not mod support but at least put them at one place in documents not overwriting any original files and easily deleted.

I saw some new mods and I must say it is very very interesting achievement from moders, however I do think it is too early for some heavy moding. I'm sure Frontier have a couple more tricks in their sleeves before they say final goodbye to the updates for Planet Zoo. The best example of that is magnificent Aquatic DLC which opens so much options from both official developers and mods later.

I would like to see mods for Planet Zoo cause mods prolongs longevity of game and Planet Zoo is unique game for me, time inexhaustible fun and would like to see it lasts for a decade just like ZT2 but for now I will just stick to officials and wait to see what they can offer us more. There will be time for moding for sure, let's just be patient. :)

I will always prefer official animals over modded animals, but I find it quite calming that modders can do non-overwrite animals now. Especially if Frontier sticks ti their shallow DLCs with only 4 habitat animals. Of cpurse I wish for long official support, but the way Frontier treated PZ in the last year / month doesn't give me much hope. As everybody who is "complaining" I'm doing so out of love for the game. And if this game is depended on modders in the future to at least reach half of it's potential, so may it be.

If the Sims community shows us one thing, it is, that modders can make a good game better and a bad game good.

I'm sure Frontier have a couple more tricks in their sleeves before they say final goodbye to the updates for Planet Zoo
You mean like blocking certain types of modding in new updates?

Wouldn't be overly surprised if they switch certain new features from the free update to the paid DLC, you know like ZT2 did with certain behaviour adjustments for base game animals in DLC?
Basically forcing you to buy the DLC to enjoy modding?
Or something like aviaries exclusively to the paid DLC?

I understaind official developers really. First of all they doing pretty good job with all the animals. Sure you can always find something which you don't like or you would like to be different but overall it is big job already done frome them. Did I find 5 animals per DLC is not so much? Sort of... yeah, probably, but I understaind them, cause it's not easy to make completely new animal. I mean completely with new animations predetermined for that single animal which again will help later for moders to create (if Frontier already didn't) similiar specie or subspecie.

You mean like blocking certain types of modding in new updates?

Wouldn't be overly surprised if they switch certain new features from the free update to the paid DLC, you know like ZT2 did with certain behaviour adjustments for base game animals in DLC?
Basically forcing you to buy the DLC to enjoy modding?
Or something like aviaries exclusively to the paid DLC?
Haha I was thinking more on some new animal animations introduction with new species and new mechanics. Like we get with Aquatic DLC xD

Aviaries presentation to the game or swinging animations for monkeys with just saying gibbons from some DLC xD Also there are a couple of new things which they can improve like interaction between animals or add more diverse enrichment maybe.

Top Bottom