Planet Zoo - Update 1.0.3

I have starving and severely dehydrated animals in sandbox mode with animal welfare turned off. Feeding is set to one month. I don't care what it costs, I have unlimited money. So why are my animals starving and dehydrated? What am I doing wrong?

That is probably a bug. I've noticed that turning welfare off doesn't actually stop welfare from dropping, it just makes the UI show 100% for everything. My animals are still getting stressed for no reason (again, just the smaller ones, aardvarks, antelope, ostriches and so on). Fortunately I've never had a problem with feeding, not sure whether I'm doing something differently to others or if I'm just lucky that that particular bug isn't showing up.

I also noticed my lemurs are being boxed now, and they weren't before. I know others experienced this bug previously and it seemed to go away, but now I'm getting it when it's supposed to be gone.

Edit: To clarify, I got boxed primates when I was editting climbing equipment previously, but now it's happening for no reason.

I have starving and severely dehydrated animals in sandbox mode with animal welfare turned off. Feeding is set to one month. I don't care what it costs, I have unlimited money. So why are my animals starving and dehydrated? What am I doing wrong?
Make sure your keepers are able to get to where they need to feed and water. Alot of info is in your Keepers recent thoughts. If they cant navigate the Habitat then they cant work correctly. My rule of thumb when playing. Make sure your hard shelters are big enough for a keeper to enter. And always check the heat map to make sure ALL animals can get to where they need to be to be able to get food and water. If after all that your still having trouble I'd let Frontier know In the bug forums. Also. Make sure your keeper huts and staff rooms are kinda close to the Habitats they are using. Staff start losing energy as soon as they leave the staff room. The further they have to walk. the faster the energy drops. once they hit low energy no matter what they will go rest again.

animals are still getting stressed for no reason (again, just the smaller ones, aardvarks, antelope, ostriches and so on).
That's easy to solve. Just put some "do not disturb" signs in front of barriers. done.

I also noticed my lemurs are being boxed now, and they weren't before.
Primates and apes are getting boxed if the game cannot "compute" an animation while climbing. You can solve this by giving animals more room around climbable items and "easy to use" climbable items, which involves a lot of testing.

nothing. the game automatically calculates if animals have to be fed. The frequency of keepers visiting an habitat has nothing to do with actually feeding them. Don't rely on tips, which aren't.

I have no feeding problems if I keep the number of animals (of one species) close to the minimum number specific animals and their habitat is not too large. I have tested this approx. 100 ingame years, also before the recent patch. If I get hungry animals, I know I have to reduce their number (again).
With this tip and what i've said no one should be having problems (with feeding)

That's easy to solve. Just put some "do not disturb" signs in front of barriers. done.

The point is, I shouldn't need to. Who's ever been to a zoo where they demand silence for the springbok of all animals?

Primates and apes are getting boxed if the game cannot "compute" an animation while climbing. You can solve this by giving animals more room around climbable items and "easy to use" climbable items, which involves a lot of testing.

That's easy to do for gorillas and chimpanzees, but again, who's ever been to a zoo where the lemurs have an enormous open space to roam around in? I get that there are limits to what's achievable with programming and animating, but I shouldn't need to build a huge enclosure for my lemurs or red pandas.

(Also, apes are primates - I know, I know "you must be fun at parties", but it's a pet peeve).

The prices for the animals food has always been the same. The price in the UI was wrong. Also. If you have your keepers feed your animals every month. you will go broke. Animals dont need fed every month. some only need fed once every 3 or 6 months. this game is pretty simple. I have had no problems running zoos.
Dude... my zoo was making 200k profit per year minimum (all staff max trained, all animals getting grade 3 food), then the update happens, I changed NOTHING, all of a sudden I'm hemorrhaging 200-300k. I get rid of a few animals, my minus decreases a little, then the next year -200k again. I check my most expensive animals (lions btw - only 15 of them apparently need 70k worth of food) their numbers are the same, my other expensive animals even went down in numbers, all my shops are full, it makes NO sense why I'd be losing money while I was in a HUGE plus my whole game.

Last edited:
Hi Frontier - I really LOVE this amazing, stimulating and beautiful game!

Thanks for the hard work by your ever growing teams and cannot thank you for adding value and enjoyment to my life.
The new patch makes the game run even smoother than ever and really enjoy all the challenges the game has to offer.
Cannot recommend this game more highly than this - it is as good, if not better than Planet Coaster!
I can see why now we might not get any more updates for PlanCo - for the mechanics and game play in PlanZoo are far superior. The whole experience of this game is a joy!
So thank you and cannot wait to see what other brilliance you have to bestow upon us - you always surprise me - which is saying something.
Keep the imagination flowing and thank you for giving us this wonderful and amazing game, G

Not sure what exactly happened but the patch seems to have mostly fixed the extreme lag/low FPS that had suddenly appeared and refused to go away. The game is playable again for me and over about an hour and a half of play ran relatively smoothly.

For me the issues appear the longer I play. When I have played ca. 4 to 6 hours then the fps have dropped a lot. After a restart of PZ everything is fine gain for the next 4 to 6 hours.

The new update of yesterday havn't resolve the finance problem when having a big zoo. I try for about an hour to stabilize my finance and it's better but have "refund" now that i havn't before. (no marketing, no bank credit)

There was an update ? What's the fixes ?
Mainly my interests were for the broken gameplay features : weird pregnancy/zoombie foetus, refund rate, Zoombie keepers, Zoombie cleaners, Starving and and dehydration while standing on food and water, random autobox animals, Zoo>Animal filter, Guest wondering on staff path, wellfare toy enrichement inverse exponential function (animal is [y = X to power 2] while toys themselves are [y = 0.5 to power of X] or something like that.... is not sustainable formula for any social species).

Micro management also should have the option to be turned off as fast as possible if you guys plan on making even more notification, it was already too much, now theres more. Needless to say that those features were not on anyone's wish list. Some news from the community managers would be appreciated...

Edit : Oh, I see a note... so only 2 out of my list... the most minor ones lol!

Edit : Oh, I see a note... so only 2 out of my list... the most minor ones lol!

I'm glad to see this. Frontier needs to slow down and make sure everything in one patch works before moving on to the next one. 1.0.3 was over 400 "fixes" at once and caused a lot of problems. Going slower and testing first will cause less problems.

Top Bottom