Planet Zoo - Update 1.1.1

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So you are against captive breeding polar bears although you acknowledge that their wild population has a very high risk of dissapear in a few decades? I don't want to sound rude, but isn't that almost like supporting their extinction?

I am both sad and surprised that anti-zoo animalism has reached even a forum for the target market of a zoo game focused on conservation. A couple of animals in a slightly improvable zoo are worth more than their entire species?

I'm not anti-zoo. I am against keeping any animal in a zoo that cannot meet their requirements. I know that some animals thrive in zoos but polar bears aren't one of them, at least not in most zoos. The wild polar bear is going to go extinct in the next few decades, if not less. They are breeding with southern bears now and have produced a viable new sub-species we are calling the grolar bear. If the only way to keep polar bears in the world is in zoos that can't meet their requirements, then yes, I am against captive breeding them.

I understand those asking for refunds, maybe if more people did this when they bought buggy games there would be more incentive to properly finish a game before releasing it. I pre-ordered so I have no one to blame but myself but I've learned my lesson - never buy a new game until at least 3 months after its release date.
Yours is a valid reason, but the ones I was referring to is just about the polar bears. I just don't see that as a valid reason to refund.

If what you complained about is that the list showing you the names of buildings and habitats in the work zone were greyed out and not displayed, that is what was fixed.

If it's something else...dunno, as the above is the only UI bug for work zones in 1.1.0 that I am aware of.

Yes it was that indeed. It wasn't greyed out here, it was completely invisible, but yeah, it has been fixed - thank goodness. :D

New bug?

Keepers only adding food to enrichment feeders and not the normal feeders, animals were starving...
It's not a bug. It's a for some strange reason, planned feature. doesn't make sense, and I wish they'd change it but it's a feature you just have to work around.

So we are suppose to only use enrichment feeders to feed our animals?
Apparently. It doesn't make sense to me.
What people have said works is putting a keeper hut right outside every gate, and putting the food and water bowls right next to that gate on flat ground. But, it doesn't work for me so I don't play the game anymore. But give it a shot, it may for work for you. The whole thing is a terrible design choice by Frontier but it is what it is.

Keepers will fill enrichment feeders first, if they need more food then they will fill food bowls/trays. If there is still not enough food they will place it on the ground. The only time I've had trouble with feeding was when I had a peafowl explosion. The keepers had a hard time keeping up and I had to move animals to quarantine to keep them from starving.

Yeah, I don't understand making people have enrichment feeders in the game, but then the keepers only fill those and not their regular food bowls. It doesn't look good for their food bowls to be empty 90% of the time, and then you have to keep checking the animals over and over and over to make sure they're not starving.

Yeah, I don't understand making people have enrichment feeders in the game, but then the keepers only fill those and not their regular food bowls. It doesn't look good for their food bowls to be empty 90% of the time, and then you have to keep checking the animals over and over and over to make sure they're not starving.
Right? Enrichment feeders are toys that happen to have food in it. Why is that the main source of food for a 600 pound grizzly bear, when there's a food trough that can give them pounds of food. With the toys being the main source of food, what's even the point of having the large food bowls? It's stupid.

Right? Enrichment feeders are toys that happen to have food in it. Why is that the main source of food for a 600 pound grizzly bear, when there's a food trough that can give them pounds of food. With the toys being the main source of food, what's even the point of having the large food bowls? It's stupid.

Because in real zoos nearly all food comes from enrichment feeding. Of course, in real zoos even a raised feeding platform counts as enrichment. Technically speaking, any source of food that forces the animal to act naturally counts as enrichment (and this includes the tall feeder for the giraffes and such) in real life.

Apparently. It doesn't make sense to me.
What people have said works is putting a keeper hut right outside every gate, and putting the food and water bowls right next to that gate on flat ground. But, it doesn't work for me so I don't play the game anymore. But give it a shot, it may for work for you. The whole thing is a terrible design choice by Frontier but it is what it is.
Of course it looks good if food bowls are empty all the time - most animals irl don't have filled food bowls all day long?
Keepers go in to check the animals in a habitat, and when they're (close to getting) hungry, they will calculate the amount of feed needed for the number of animals in the habitat. They'll prepare that and first fill the enrichment feed items (because it'd be better for animal welfare) and only if they have more feed than fits in enrichment items, they'll fill the normal feed bowls. This is so they don't make TOO much feed for the animals, so it does not start to rot. If they'd fill everything, the animals would not finish it in time and it'd be rotting (thus extra cleaning for keeper) over time. Keepers filling your enrichment items first and not filling normal feed bowls if not required is a perfectly logical and good solution to this situation imho. I've never had problems with feeding animals.

I don't put out the regular bowls. I think some people think that the enrichment feeders are like junk food but it's not. The quality of the food is the same - and determined by what level you set from the habitat. I set all my habitats to level 3 food and only put out enrichment feeders. It works great!

I know this thread is dead now but I'm surprised we haven't already had a fix to the polar bear and (I believe, I haven't used it yet) Arctic wolf having the "Arctic" continent with no accompanying foliage.

I thought it could have been 1.1.2 or something. Surely that's not a hugely difficult fix?

Because in real zoos nearly all food comes from enrichment feeding. Of course, in real zoos even a raised feeding platform counts as enrichment. Technically speaking, any source of food that forces the animal to act naturally counts as enrichment (and this includes the tall feeder for the giraffes and such) in real life.
Unfortunately, in this game the result is that animals are starving all the time while their food bowls stay empty, because the enrichment items empty out every five seconds and the keepers don't bother to fill their food bowls most of the time.

Unfortunately, in this game the result is that animals are starving all the time while their food bowls stay empty, because the enrichment items empty out every five seconds and the keepers don't bother to fill their food bowls most of the time.
Exactly, i hope they change it so both get filled no matter how much is needed at the time of filling they should just fill what you have placed that way we can decide how much food gets placed.

Exactly, i hope they change it so both get filled no matter how much is needed at the time of filling they should just fill what you have placed that way we can decide how much food gets placed.

People are already complaining about food costs.. If you send the keeper to the habitat - they fill up all the bowls and don't eat everything - it will spoil and the trays needs to be cleaned. That's basically wasting money & time. I understand your point but wouldn't this cause even more problems with finances?

I really hope they don't change it, to fill up the bowls everytime I send a zookeeper to an exhibit. Most times I just want them to clean and ignore the food trays and only fill them up when an animal actually needs it. With the current system that works really good.

People call it working around this feature but a lot of people simply don't have any problems with feeding.
Even on the steam forums, recent topics about feeding problems are very few. More people understand the game/game-mechanics.
Most times the problems are understaffed zoo, untrained staff, no workzones, unreachable food trays, too few/occupied zoo keeper huts.

People are already complaining about food costs.. If you send the keeper to the habitat - they fill up all the bowls and don't eat everything - it will spoil and the trays needs to be cleaned. That's basically wasting money & time. I understand your point but wouldn't this cause even more problems with finances?

I really hope they don't change it, to fill up the bowls everytime I send a zookeeper to an exhibit. Most times I just want them to clean and ignore the food trays and only fill them up when an animal actually needs it. With the current system that works really good.

People call it working around this feature but a lot of people simply don't have any problems with feeding.
Even on the steam forums, recent topics about feeding problems are very few. More people understand the game/game-mechanics.
Most times the problems are understaffed zoo, untrained staff, no workzones, unreachable food trays, too few/occupied zoo keeper huts.
Maybe then make it an option in sandbox mode to fill all or not

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom