Please FD, just roll it back. We can all wait for it to be ready...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
TBH what that suggests to me is that FDEV should have a wider range of PC builds on which to test on. From very low end to the middle ground, as well as the top-end machines they obviously already have. This should include a range of CPUs from Intel and AMD, as well as combinations of say Intel CPU and AMD GPU, and AMD CPU and nVidia GPU. With varying degrees of RAM, and GPUs with varying degrees of VRAM.

They do have a mountain of data from the hardware surveys built into the launcher, which I presume a lot of players do send back to the FDEV mothership. From that data they do have a lot of knowledge on the very wide range of PC and laptop hardware on which players run the game.

If they had a wider range of PC hardware, some of the problems encountered might have surfaced before Odyssey went live.
Maybe.

We don't really know what they did, but considering some of the obvious bugs on release day (that were already issues in alpha), it does seem to me that they let a "few" of them slip through, or alternatively that they didn't play the game much. The latter I find highly unlikely. But hey, the updates are good, and they do seem more willing to communicate now, so yay.

So you don't believe they're telling the truth when they say they tested it, and it worked? But rolling it out to 70,000+ simultaneous users on a near-infinite variety of rigs had a different result?
I do not believe they have people capable of testing it in a meaningful way, and I knew it would change very little from the Alpha, and I was right. The last time they did a 'fake' beta, again nothing changed between beta and release, it's just constant lip service.

They started this thing called focused feedback, it didn't really work, it fizzled out, then they said they'd do proper beta testing, they did ONE and the issues highlighted were released mainly as they were (carriers), nothing fixed. Then when odyssey release came and we were all expecting an alpha and a beta, and a long testing process, they gave us an alpha and said 'yeh, when the ALPHA is done, in two weeks time, we'll be releasing! Oh, don't worry, yeh, we have a different build, the one you've been playing as an alpha is not really what you'll be getting, no need for a beta!'... So, er why am I playing it then? Why am I playing a broken game on limited access and paying for that, if you already have your final build of the game and you are NOT going to do a beta or change anything based on what we say about odyssey, what was the actual point, just to skin us for more money for 'early alpha access'. DISHONEST.

A beta is exactly what was sorely needed, instead they called it finished and sold it to us as a dogs breakfast, having already bean eaten, regurgitated, eaten again, then finally being defacated on the welcome mat at frontier developments for Braben to tread in.

I 100% believe the main issue that is mentioned on glassdoor, that the top level at FD are a cadre who in their own eyes can do no wrong and live in an echo chamber, and if you're not in the club you're nobody. No wonder this led to zero effort releases and utter incompetence. Keep the devs, they've done nothing wrong, look at the directors.

So, rant over and yes, they are dishonest about the testing and the release process. Absolutely that.

Last edited:
I'm the same even though I always thought I'd be quite realistic about Frontier's promises vs what they ended up delivering (1/3 chance of thinking it's "fine", being disappointed or indeed extremely happy about the result).

I was initially non-plussed about FCs, what a rollercoaster of emotions that was - I never felt I needed them and thought they should focus on something else, then when FDev showcased the initial design I was pumped, when we got what we got in the Beta I was disappointed, and eventually I ended up enjoying them quite a lot, despite the missed potential and opportunities. Bought a ton of cosmetics for mine in the end (many of them broken beyond recognition) and wouldn't want to play without it now.

But I no longer have that sense of hope that things will get better, or potential something has, the makeup has been removed now, EDO's content shows the cold hard truth in daylight that this is what they can come up with after years of content drought, so based on that I will only judge the product now based on the as-is of today, not what may or may not be in half a year or two.

I also no longer have the patience to wait indefinitely for things to turn better, and I feel that if this carry-on bumbling about from patch to patch continues for much longer, I will just nip this in the bud and move on eventually.

I'm not there yet - but I've already promised myself I will never buy any Arx again for what they did with the PJs, where there's zero guarantee that they will sort those out in the future. That's a big step for someone who was quite liberal with his credit card, but I've really had it this time. There's still some tiny hope left they can salvage things, but it's not a lot.
The most creative aspects of Odyssey were the suit skins and gun paintjobs, I have previously purchased a fair amount of ARX but I have also decided against purchasing anymore until the content in Odyssey actually shows some passion, fun and creativity.

The most creative aspects of Odyssey were the suit skins and gun paintjobs, I have previously purchased a fair amount of ARX but I have also decided against purchasing anymore until the content in Odyssey actually shows some passion, fun and creativity.
Some of the arx skins for guns are simply incredible, in my opinion. I am notoriously against cosmetics in other games, but Elite has a few good ones. I just wish the rest of the game worked so I could justify buying and enjoying them...

If they had got this release right they would have seen an enormous uptake in Arx sales.. and continued sustained numbers, instead they have a crisis on their hands, reducing player base including long time players not just fringe cases and very real anger causing a refusal to buy Arx, make no mistake this is NOT good.
Yes, it's a classic case of being stingy turning out to be costly...

Cosmetics.

You know... maybe I'm born with it. That kinda stuff.
Meanwhile I'm lusting like a sweaty teenager over these for RGO

PBR or not, FD have a hill to climb to get back the look and also the quality on paintjobs still.

Deleted member 182079

D
If they had got this release right they would have seen an enormous uptake in Arx sales.. and continued sustained numbers, instead they have a crisis on their hands, reducing player base including long time players not just fringe cases and very real anger causing a refusal to buy Arx, make no mistake this is NOT good.
Maybe, probably - though for me, I (literally) laughed when I saw those prices. Just shy of 7,000 Arx for a single weapon skin? That's what, around 5 Euros? For one skin? I always thought that Elite was on the lower end of value-for-money when it comes to cosmetics, but they surely pushed the boat out - and this just after us shelling out 40+ Euros for a DLC. There are full-fat non-discounted AAA games that didn't cost me much more than that.

What the price point for EDO did to me at the time was implicitly telling my brain that FDev must be super confident they're on to a winner here. Funny how these things work.

Back to the skins though, I'm not denying that some of them look very nice, and the suits in terms of detail and design look pretty good (when the textures load at least) although it does also make the ship texture/LOD quality stand out negatively in comparison now (as both offer premium customisation).

It's clear what the focus was on, it wasn't the gameplay imo. To me, it seems MTX drove that, rather than the other way around. But that's a little conspiracy theory I don't mind if I'm the only one thinking it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's clear what the focus was on, it wasn't the gameplay imo. To me, it seems MTX drove that, rather than the other way around. But that's a little conspiracy theory I don't mind if I'm the only one thinking it :)
It's no conspiracy THEORY,
it's obvious which FD department had allocated enough (human) resources to do their job properly on time,
and which had not,
judging from PRACTICAL results of their work.

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
It's no conspiracy THEORY,
it's obvious which FD department had allocated enough (human) resources to do their job properly on time,
and which did not,
judging from PRACTICAL results of their work.
Yes, but I also wonder whether us getting spacelegs was only because it's so easy to monetise (Barbie dolls), as opposed to focusing on more space stuff that requires assets you can't really do that with.

I'd almost eat my hat (if I had one) if the next DLC won't be base building - not only does it expand the on-foot stuff but offers vast opportunities for further customisation. Basically Elite: The Sims. We'll find out eventually I suppose. Though I'm still surprised they didn't pick the low-hanging fruit of more detailed cockpit customisation options (why they never added more FC layouts, or indeed PJs, is another headscratcher). I would've gotten my wallet out for those for sure. Suits/weapons don't really tickle me in the same way.

Interlude.

Anyone likes some hiking/climbing challenge?
I may have something for you:

t3QVgaD.jpg

I failed in reaching the top, but I don't feel bad about it.

It MAY be problematic:
m021aZQ.jpg

8pJJYwh.jpg

DISCLAIMER: I also found some good looking proc gen mountains, and I don't clam this one is "typical".
It's a fail of new tech, obviously.

Deleted member 192138

D
And vehicle, and ship schematics. Don't get too excited that they all mean something, because if they do then that means more ship engineering grind.

Deleted member 182079

D
And vehicle, and ship schematics. Don't get too excited that they all mean something, because if they do then that means more ship engineering grind.
Hmm, so I suppose my hopes of fighting the Kilrathi based on cat media in the game are relatively likely to be dashed?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom