Please reconsider fleet carriers for solo players.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
DISAPPOINTMENT DENIED!!!!!! THANKYOU FRONTIER!!!!

Beyond all hope it changed. Really looking forward to trying this out later this year. Will have to find a cosmetic as a thankyou again. Its been a while.

Also id like to extend condolences to Max Factor and the Grumpy Naysayers about their loss, though please know that you guys are amazing, truly without you this thread would have stopped at 5 pages and we may have not got the change. Honest cheers guys, you're awesome and thanks for the great debates.

Well, looks like i bought some spare accounts for no reason. If we can have one per commander though, multiboxing is at a new level.. one exploration one mining out in the black.

So i suppose that your choice of ship to do stuff now becomes irrelevant? Im thinking about exploration really but what reason would there be to take a conda when you can just go 500ly in your carrier and then enjoy the flight of an imperial courrier for running about in system. There might even be an argument (that i have no dog in) to give the anaconda its correct mass back.

There might even be an argument (that i have no dog in) to give the anaconda its correct mass back.

That's still unlikely to happen cos the same tired old "but whut about all the peepul out exploring in an Annie NAOW?!?!?!?!" thing still applies. 😕

3.3, with it's much-publicised changes to exploration, was really the time to do that if they were ever going to.

Hey, if carriers were actually supposed to be contributing to 3.3 exploration, that would have lessened the blow of the fss greatly.

So i suppose that your choice of ship to do stuff now becomes irrelevant? Im thinking about exploration really but what reason would there be to take a conda when you can just go 500ly in your carrier and then enjoy the flight of an imperial courrier for running about in system.

I think that's the whole appeal of them for out of bubble exploration. I was more rping some sort of hub, fly out somewhere fresh, visit a little cloud around with whatever ship of your choice then move on.

Last edited:
So how many have come back to this thread to gloat and make fun of all the naysayers?

[raises hand]

A tad early for that... ;)

It's a great first step, but the proof will be in the gameplay. How much fun will it be to gather the 'unique' material for fueling it (not how long will it take, but how much fun, assuming players might want to refuel it more than once...), and of course, the initial cost.

It sounds promising that there is a level of customization for them, that might enable FD to scale them. As a single player, I don't particularly need 16 landing pads, so would be quite happy with a carrier with perhaps two small and two medium pads. Will that be possible, and subsequently be cheaper to purchase and less onerous run and then expandable if and when I have the need?

Oh, and it's yet to be clarified how players will get their ships to a carrier as the services currently mentioned are refuel, rearm and repair - not shipyard.

So, no gloating from me. As I said, it's a great first step, I'm sure many long term players will be happy to have a new goal to strive (erm, play) for, so let's hope that carriers are a viable goal. :)

I think that's the whole appeal of them for out of bubble exploration. I was more rping some sort of hub, fly out somewhere fresh, visit a little cloud around with whatever ship of your choice then move on.

Im just gonna say it, has to be said. Carriers would have been perfectly fine with 50ly range. :)

So how many have come back to this thread to gloat and make fun of all the naysayers?

[raises hand]

Just a little bit. Before i can gloat though, i probably have to eat a few socks and crows for not actually expecting the outcome. Fair call. Also, without them this never would have stayed on page 1.. so at the same time a huge pat on the shoulder and a round on us is in order.

Im just gonna say it, has to be said. Carriers would have been perfectly fine with 50ly range. :)

Other way around. Id rather not engineer the fleet i take with me. Bliss.

Curious to know about the price tag on it. I reckon 10b credits at least.

Yeah 5-10 would be my estimate. Probably on the low end since frontier have been new player happy for years now. I remember when first started playing properly back in 16.. my entire goal for the game was to get an orca, thats all i wanted to do, and i looked at its price tag and thought it was impossible.. Elite just isn't like that any more.

Last edited:
Frantically lookup your first discovered systems.

Find a location in nowhere, with all the materials types needed (not yet known).

Park, as "your" system.

Here are our long desired personal bases.

Watch, as the galaxy gets the most difficult locations to reach strip-mined.

Just a little bit. Before i can gloat though, i probably have to eat a few socks and crows for not actually expecting the outcome. Fair call. Also, without them this never would have stayed on page 1.. so at the same time a huge pat on the shoulder and a round on us is in order.

Other way around. Id rather not engineer the fleet i take with me. Bliss.

Yeah 5-10 would be my estimate. Probably on the low end since frontier have been new player happy for years now. I remember when first started playing properly back in 16.. my entire goal for the game was to get an orca, thats all i wanted to do, and i looked at its price tag and thought it was impossible.. Elite just isn't like that any more.

I’d bet that it will be closer to 1-2 bill as a starter, then upgrades from there

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
As fleet carriers are indeed confirmed as available for solo players, this thread is no longer current and will be closed so to avoid any confusion.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom