Please reduce the weight of your Mining NERF

Hard to say. Codex says I've made some 500+ million credits from mining. This was exclusively done in a Cutter, laser mining for Platinum. I just know it took a serious effort and a lot longer than an hour or so to fill up a Cutter. And yes, this was done in pristine rings using hotspots, prospecting like a madman, using tons of limpets etc etc.

For me it's not about the credits but the sheer boredom of it. But I do believe the mining nerf was excessive because core mining was beaten to a pulp. Laser mining takes the least skill, least equipment, doesn't require precise positioning etc etc - and yet it's the credit king. Something is wrong with that imo.

Well, if mining is boring for you, don't do it then. Do something you do enjoy and stop worrying about how much or how little others who do enjoy mining earn from it.

I was doing mining when it paid peanuts and enjoyed it. The massive increased in payouts that happened turned me off mining a bit, because everyone was banging on about how awesome it was, when for years the consensus had been it was rubbish because of low payouts.

Either you enjoy doing something or you don't. The credits may determine whether you consider it profitable and worth your time, but that doesn't mean the activity itself is any better or worse.

Still, haven't done mining in a good while, but just because i've done so much of it over the years. I'm more into combat at the moment, time to finally get Elite in Combat i think and try out some new builds. Its a good time for it because bounties are paying well, so nice timing on that.

PS: I do agree core mining should reward better than laser mining.

Well, if mining is boring for you, don't do it then. Do something you do enjoy and stop worrying about how much or how little others who do enjoy mining earn from it.

I'm not the one worried, I don't have a problem with those who feel it needs a buff. What someone does to earn fictional currency, matters little to me.

I would certainly do, and have done, boring things for fast credits. I'm not above that.

Again I keep saying "context" for a reason. The game classifies mapping planets for credits as "exploring". So I'm not going to create my own definitions for activities. You can if you want.
The game may well define mapping planets as exploration taken in the view of the accumulation of credits, but in the wider context, the game does not wholly define exploration as the mapping of planets. Some things you get credits for require you to land on those planets, scan biologicals or Geologicals. So to throw out landing on planets is in fact incorrect.

The problem here is, you want to make statement such as ‘There is no risk in exploration’ then after the fact, you want to narrow the parameters of what exploration is. How is anyone able to have a reasonable conversation like that?

I earn credits for landing on a planet and scanning an Ice Fumarole, that is part of exploration. There is risk to that. High risk the further from civilisation you are.

I could easily get to wherever and back in an Exploraconda or Phantom without dying, I just have more immediate/entertaining goals. I don't stay in the bubble because of "risk", it's just that I don't find there's all that much to do in the game outside of it.

So you've not done it then but have determined it to be of little or no risk with zero experience to back up your claim?

Im seeing a theme here with you where you dismiss something even though you've not done it or cant conceive others have.

You dismissed Red Anders statement regarding him making 50 million in under 40 minutes and asked for evidence and when others backed him up and also claimed its entirely possible to make that sort of cash in that time frame you shifted the goal posts of your argument.

Even Cmdr Thrust from Bradford would struggle to figure out where you'll be in an hours time on exploration risks.

Last edited:
The problem here is, you want to make statement such as ‘There is no risk in exploration’ then after the fact, you want to narrow the parameters of what exploration is. How is anyone able to have a reasonable conversation like that?

You have a reasonable conversation by following the context, which is earning credits. Otherwise we would just call mining "playing with rocks" and not an activity solely designed for material gain, right?

You act like I'm playing some mind-game here. This is absurd. This whole discussion is about credits/risk, etc etc. So yes, I get to throw out landing on planets because that's an optional risk that has nothing to do with this discussion.

So you've not done it then but have determined it to be of little or no risk with zero experience to back up your claim?

Im seeing a theme here with you where you dismiss something even though you've not done it or cant conceive others have.

Leo you're a fun guy.

I bet a zillion spacebucks if I made a thread whining that I died while exploring and demanding changes to the game, your FIRST reply would be to laugh and say "Omg exploring is so easy, there's no risk. Just don't run out of gas and use repair modules LMAO!!"

But here you are, trying to grill me that exploration has as much or more risk as mining. Like....seriously just stop it man. I know you're trolling.

The very fact that combat can be imposed on the miner, while it cannot be imposed on a pure-explorer, should disqualify this nonsense. But nope, you just HAVE to keep pushing nonsense.

Last edited:
I stand by my statement. To which people tried to invalidate by saying "road to riches isn't exploring" which is just...whatever.
Okay, you could probably get 30m/hr at peak road to riches. That's still less than the 200mil/hr pre mining nerf or even the perfectly reachable 50mil/hr these days, and again an optimised mining ship can still be built to take a beating. An optimised road to riches explorer can't.

Exploring isn't, and never had been in the same league as mining.

But here you are, trying to grill me that exploration has as much or more risk as mining. Like....seriously just stop it man. I know you're trolling.

The very fact that combat can be imposed on the miner, while it cannot be imposed on a pure-explorer, should disqualify this nonsense. But nope, you just HAVE to keep pushing nonsense.

I wasn't aware I was trying to equate both activities but thanks for teaching me I was apparently.

Also the fact that combat cannot be imposed on a pure-explorer is complete mince. If you want evidence that it can then use the forum search function to see all the threads started by Commandos who have been interdicted and killed by npc and players on the way back to a station to cash in.

Also before you try and move the goalposts the combat can be imposed on a miner at any point in the mining process from shooting the rocks to flying to a base to hand in their haul.

Also the fact that combat cannot be imposed on a pure-explorer is complete mince. If you want evidence that it can then use the forum search function to see all the threads started by Commandos who have been interdicted and killed by npc and players on the way back to a station to cash in.

Since I already specifically mentioned empty cargo holds (which you label "goalpost moving") I fail to see how anyone turning in exploration data could be killed by an NPC, as the NPC wouldn't aggro if you were JUST carrying exploration data.

Going to a base with goods in your ship isn't called exploration, it's called "hauling" or space trucking last time I checked. But I'm sure I just need more "time in the game" to work out that difference I guess.

Never said it was. Never even gave a hint that I thought I was. I said it was a profitable low-risk exercise. Not that it was "more" profitable than any activity.
Right, so in a discussion about risk/reward, you're just stating that another more-or-less risk free profession technically turns a profit, so why nerf the order-of-magnitude more profitable mining heyday?

Since I already specifically mentioned empty cargo holds (which you label "goalpost moving") I fail to see how anyone turning in exploration data could be killed by an NPC, as the NPC wouldn't aggro if you were JUST carrying exploration data.

Going to a base with goods in your ship isn't called exploration, it's called "hauling" or space trucking last time I checked. But I'm sure I just need more "time in the game" to work out that difference I guess.

There are things that can be collected during exploration that might be of value to the commander or a npc.

I seriously think you need to do some more of the game activities because your knowledge of many is limited.

There are things that can be collected during exploration that might be of value to the commander or a npc.

I seriously think you need to do some more of the game activities because your knowledge of many is limited.
No you are just moving goalposts and introducing an ever-expanding set of narratives to defeat my perfectly reasonable position.

I'm aware of what you are saying, but that's OPTIONAL added risk not central to exploration.

Are you saying exploration, GENERALLY, has higher risk than mining? I'm tired of your games, yes or no. Are you really saying that?

I was never all that big on mining, but the nerfs did encourage me to just not bother at all with mining anymore. As opposed to the ocassional mining trip to break things up. Now I just play a different game when combat gets a little old.

No you are just moving goalposts and introducing an ever-expanding set of narratives to defeat my perfectly reasonable position.

I'm aware of what you are saying, but that's OPTIONAL added risk not central to exploration.

Are you saying exploration, GENERALLY, has higher risk than mining? I'm tired of your games, yes or no. Are you really saying that?

I know you're a fan of the binary but seriously you cannot apply binary answers because mining and exploration are more nuanced than that.

There are risks in both activities and there are ways to mitigate them but neither of them is risk free.

Back in my day, LTDs were worth 150k a ton, and painite was worth 90k.

Edit to add: in terms of risk, I’d say mining certainly ranks higher than exploration, simply because NPCs tend to spawn and hassle you depending on where you log in/chase you down when you leave. Players aren’t likely to find you unless you’re in a well-known hotspot, but it’s still more likely, since mining often takes place in populated space.

In terms of exploration, outside of major tourist sites, the odds of you encountering another player at random are astronomically slim, and death will only result from your own mistakes— all of which are incredibly easy to avoid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom