Poll/Query : How thorough of an Explorer were you so far ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38366
  • Start date
Erm, does the detailed scans only update after selling since im currently at 0.11?
Yes, systems visited updates immediately but the scans only update when you sell them.

I was at just under 30,000 systems visited when I last docked and the stats claim I have 35,646 level 2 and 26,249 level 3 scans. I believe the level 2 figure to be much closer to the true number of detailed scans I've done so that's a ratio of 1.18. It used to be more like 1.8 and it's going to keep dropping as I now only scan interesting systems or those at my destination.

Yes, systems visited updates immediately but the scans only update when you sell them.

I was at just under 30,000 systems visited when I last docked and the stats claim I have 35,646 level 2 and 26,249 level 3 scans. I believe the level 2 figure to be much closer to the true number of detailed scans I've done so that's a ratio of 1.18. It used to be more like 1.8 and it's going to keep dropping as I now only scan interesting systems or those at my destination.

I know you bat away any OMG stuff with quiet dignity, wife away, your retired, you are just a careful explorer etc, but 30,000 systems visited LOL.

Hats off sir...

splorestatsjune212015.jpg

Looks like ~4.18.

I did the majority of my exploration before the income buff.

About .33 but it doesn't mean much. I did about 700 systems of scanning every damn thing plus the same again of being a bit pickier and then blew up before I cashed it in. Systems visited ticked up throughout, detailed scans did not.

It won't be particularly accurate for anyone unless (a) they've just returned from a trip and sold all their data or (b) they've done so much exploring that any one trip is a tiny drop in the ocean.

I'm at work at the mo, so working from memory, but if memory serves:

Systems visited (the last time I sold data) ~3800 approx
Lvl 3 Scans done ~19,800 approx

Average - ~5.2 approx.

My number is likely to be off then as I have about 1500 systems of data to sell, more than half of my systems visited is unsold at the moment! I'll update when I eventually return to the bubble.

sc5Xgeq.png

Someone else do the math, I don't even understand what these numbers mean, if anything at all... I'm pretty sure I've flown with DSS most always on :p

No rocky moons or ice planets, no asteroid belts, no secondary/tertiary etc. stars that are too far away. Everything else, I scan.

Last edited:
I usually scan easy to reach "rares" only, neutron stars, black holes, and earth-likes as well as interesting water- or metal-worlds. Did you know that information about a single earth-like world in a blackhole/neutron binary system isn't worth one cent extra?

No, no I didn't. I thought you always get paid for any/all scans...

Depends on the run.

Doing runs to Chameleon sector and the area around it, I tended to scan everything until I was bored then I would run straight back to civilization.

On my way in to Sag A, I scanned every star and the occasional oddity.

Now on my way back, I'm tired of being out here and am only scanning anything that looks like it might be terraformable or the star if I need to scoop for a bit anyway.

Did you know that information about a single earth-like world in a blackhole/neutron binary system isn't worth one cent extra?

I would be amazed if this were true, because I haven't seen any practical limit on system values. Each body in a system sells at its own rate. I've had systems worth up to 280k on their own, so multiple high value bodies are counting.

And to the OP on my recent expedition I was about 2.5 scans per system. I think I scanned ever primary star.

Last edited:
I'm at work, so I don't have access to my stats, but I'm probably on less than 0.5.

I'm definitely a tourist / racer. I honk every system, but I don't always even look at the system map before moving on.

I'm more into seeing how fast I can get from A to B (I've managed to get my Asp speed up to around 2800LY/h on the way back towards the bubble with my CG data :)). Once I get to my destinations I take things more slowly and keep an eye out for blue planets, then I scan anything that's in what I guess is the habitable zone of the star, and I scan the entire system every now and again (always do if there's an earthlike).

Exploration wise I'm more interested in having a go at things like finding routes across to the outermost arms, and navigating around the edge of the galaxy. I'm planning to have a go at joining the 65Kylie club after the next Buckyball Race has finished (I don't want to be 65,000 LY from the start line when ElecticZ announces it!)

I actually used to find it more interesting scanning the entire system when I only had the IDS, so I kind of wish that the ADS wasn't quite as good as it is. . I'd have preferred it to have had more like a 250K LS range, so that there was still some exploration that needed the parallax method.

Screenshot_2914.jpg
I'm not sure if my L2/L3 scans are bugged or inverted.
If it's just L2 scans, it's 1.99.
If it's just L3 scans, it's 1.66.
If it's all my scans combined, it is 3.65.

I can answer the question about Earth-like payouts around neutron stars.
(N) is from a neutron star system

57658 (N)
62326 (N)
54356 (N)
63416 (N)
54837 (N)
58120 (N)
54272 (N)
59070 (N)
56106 (N)

Sample size is 23 results.
Mean = 57,680.57
Median= 56588
Standard dev. = 2,980.52
3 results below 1SD, 5 above 1SD, all results within 2SD.
Of the 9 results from neutron stars, 2 are above 1SD and 2 are below 1SD.
Results seem to follow a gaussian distribution profile.

Conclusion: There is absolutely NO difference in payouts based on star type. It is entirely down to planetary size.

Deleted member 38366

D
--- Deleted ---

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom