Powerplay Powerplay needs it's agent spawn rate decreased!

Hello Commanders!

Just to *really* throw the cat amongst the pigeons, I wonder if any of you remember the concept of "targeted assault" that was mooted a while back. Basically it suggested that Commanders could super focus one undermine attempt per cycle to "take it out" in one go, removing it from a power regardless of any other factors (CC costs, deficit, etc.)

Personally I'm still rather keen on this, as I'd like to see the Powerplay landscape be a shade more volatile.

If we were to go for this idea, the concept of super-fortification might take on a slightly different dimension.

Just spit-balling, of course, but with Powerplay we don't want to rule anything out right now.

Really, really bad idea.

You have two *massive* powers that could wipe out smaller powers easily with this. How long would Archon last with this going on?

Hello Commanders!

Just to *really* throw the cat amongst the pigeons, I wonder if any of you remember the concept of "targeted assault" that was mooted a while back. Basically it suggested that Commanders could super focus one undermine attempt per cycle to "take it out" in one go, removing it from a power regardless of any other factors (CC costs, deficit, etc.)

Personally I'm still rather keen on this, as I'd like to see the Powerplay landscape be a shade more volatile.

If we were to go for this idea, the concept of super-fortification might take on a slightly different dimension.

Just spit-balling, of course, but with Powerplay we don't want to rule anything out right now.

Just to add my 2 cents to this discussion; I also think this is a bad idea. You talk about how much you like the weaponized expansions and the confrontation, or volatility, they create and this would effectively end those. Why would we, as Hudsonites, go through all the trouble for our recent expansions if ALD could just wipe that out in one turn? We wouldn't.

As far as killing ships in control systems and the constant interdiction issue, I believe it would change the way things are fortified. Essentially, PP would be solely about pulling ships out of supercruise and blowing them up. I, for one, would like to see a larger variety in tasks to help my power, not fewer. That being said, if balanced properly I would not be opposed. You could give fewer merits per ship, decrease spawn rates or just give us bounty payouts instead. Surely we can assume that NPC has gained a bounty in system. I know I personally can build up bounties rather quickly in enemy systems, why should I assume the NPC attacking me just found his first target?

Also if you're reading this, why do I only get 1 merit for killing an enemy CMDR in an expansion CZ? At the very least, can I get the same as an NPC?

to every action must be given the option of a re-action. Powers with fewer players must stand a chance against Powers with large numbers of player, if they play smart.

to make things more volatile, you just need to expand the actions a Power can do and add an objective for all Powers instead of top 10 and the bonus of top 3. Like a championship. I would much more prefer total war, but I guess it would be at this point too hard to implement.

fortifying by killing NPCs is the same action done differently, so it would hurt Power Play. An example of expanding your PowerPlay Horizon: doing missions for a specific faction of that system would contribute to the fortification trigger. You have changed the number of merits done with undermining "to have more dynamism". Fortification by killing NPCs seems to be a step back. I would welcome some form of recompense for killing enemy Commanders, no matter where they are. The best reward from my point of view would be to gain some points towards unlocking the Power's module. So if you destroy a Winters' Cmdr you'd gain 1 out of 100 points towards unlocking the pulse disruptor. These would solve a lot of problems. You should write some kind of inbox warning, upon joining Power Play, that we live in a dangerous galaxy. Being pledged adds to the danger even more.

Target assault : I guess it would be some kind of Death Star, but you really need to also have a Life Shield.

here you have some ideas:

create "fortification hubs" - a hub fortifies systems in a certain radius. You create one by delivering different products. You would have traditional fortification, but also tactical fortification, by delivering different products, they could even be Power specific.
The same way you could create an "undermining strike base"
This would create tensions and would be a reason for gaining certain system, which will also have strategical importance and not only CC value.

I would also introduce biological warfare and other valid guerrilla tactics. A biological strike would decrease the CC production of a certain system for one cycle. That means of course that "disease centers" would be available as a counter tactic.

Any strategy game must have some form of reference to chess. Fortification/Undermining are actions of pawns. Preparation/Expansion of Knights, the Hub would be the Bishop, the Biological strike the rook. Maybe one day we get the Queen and the King.

Last edited:
The systems that are "super-fortified" right now are not done for any strategic reasons, and allowing undermining to do a targeted assault will not move these fortification merits to a more useful place.
Fortifying is generally described by most players as the most "grindy" part of PP, this sounds like it would require more fortifications to be completed each week.

I'd prefer a more straight forward approach to more systems being lost, if a system is undermined and not fortified, it gets flagged to be lost the next cycle, lets call this "revolt" not "turmoil" since that is the word used for the existing mechanic.

If the revolting system is undermined again the next week, without again being fortified, it should be lost.

This would make each power continue to need to balance their CC balance each week to avoid Turmoil, and also require different targets to be fortified depending on the previous weeks undermining.

On a logical level, if a system is undermined 2 weeks in a row, without being fortified in either week, why would it stay as a control system of a power that can't directly protect it?

This would only work if "merit bombing" is fixed (which it needs to be, regardless)--otherwise sniped systems would have to be fortified "just in case" and you could massively increase another power's fortification effort by rotating which systems you snipe.

Assuming merit bombing gets fixed, this is a great idea.

OK, so during the LHS 3447 CG I was policing the space in Eravate.

What is with a Federal system having non stop wings of enemy agents from all the enemy powers spawning non stop to interdict people when wouldn't it be logical that system security and authority would keep this at minimal levels?

Seriously, every time I entered supercruise I'd be interdicted within seconds most of the time, and this is particularly annoying when you're trying to close in on a Commander's wake who needs assistance!

Really, this needs reduced in high security systems! Low security systems, fair play!

Yeah agreed hence why I've suggested in Sandro's other thread that PP NPC interdictions are disabled in open. Would potentially encourage more people into open because of the convenience. Dedicated open players will like that and well dedicated solo players can't complain about imbalance because PvE is what they want.

Top Bottom