PP 2.0 should be cut loose from any other form of gameplay

But there's barely any space where you don't run into PP anymore. And fighting back is out of the question when you just don't have the numbers to fight against the amount of people that PP factions can throw at you. Hence my complaint...
Then choose a gov type that is not in conflict with the power- or, at the very least choose a neutral one. The very, very worst case is choosing a gov type that the power is weak against and expecting the power groups to grin and bear it.

Yes, I wouldn't want to see changes there as that's not what's put me off getting involved in any serious way. For me the methods of supporting a faction (a different topic) and also the presence of each power within a system feeling more like a sideshow to the minor faction (maybe to PP players it doesn't, but this is speaking as a outsider).

The fact that you have 2 groups of players playing the game in 2 different ways but still interfering with each other doesn't seem ideal either. However as far as system flavour is concerned, if PP is to be the big supported multiplayer feature, it makes more sense to me that a Hudson exploited system (for example) feels like a Hudson system first and a Party of HR 123 system second.

I'm not thinking of anything that is meaningful in a narrative level or even outside PP systems. I do think that powerplay is best focused between other players who have signed up for it and not be impacted by other players who haven't and effectively don't want to play that game.
The thing is (or was) that there was plans for mechanisms so that local groups could oppose powers directly (the 'freedom Fighter' mechanic). But then you already have the tools in the game with being able to do BGS work or pledge to a rival power to oppose who you hate.

The difficulty of V1 is that its very, very hard to go after specific systems because of the turmoil order being locked behind quantum wave theory maths. If V2 goes BGS and copies how factions expand, that granularity would allow factions much more scope to push back aggressors.

I disagree with OP in that I think powerplay should be the end game system that most players aspire to participate in. It should be more integrated into gameplay via missions boards, planetary control, on foot gameplay, trade & mining. There should be a greater sense of identity with your Power affiliation as well; remove "power hopping" that people do nowadays to get equipment. Allow for more badging, power specific bonuses, power-based chat channels, and more. I do agree in one sense though, that powerplay activities should be more closely confined to a "front" between power boundaries, like the neutral zone in Star Trek, in order to funnel the participants into a more condensed area where they are likely to run into each other. Similar to how things ran with the Thargoid war, it gives players the option to either get involved or not by simply avoiding the area, but by keeping that area confined to a smaller front it doesn't impact people who don't want to participate very much (ie they don't feel like wherever they go they are dealing with powerplay effects).

The size of PP groups and also the fact that if you have an unaligned faction they will always have cause to attack you
Those PP pledged players who attack you are not necessarily PPers, and a significant number of them will be perfectly happy to attack you even if you are pledged to the same power as they are. I don't really play PowerPlay*, yet I'm always pledged to some random power, simply because even if the player I shoot down has crimes on, at least they won't give me notoriety if both of us are flying under the banner of some power.

(* that might change with PP2.0 if the implementation is good)

Last edited:
The thing is (or was) that there was plans for mechanisms so that local groups could oppose powers directly (the 'freedom Fighter' mechanic). But then you already have the tools in the game with being able to do BGS work or pledge to a rival power to oppose who you hate.

The difficulty of V1 is that its very, very hard to go after specific systems because of the turmoil order being locked behind quantum wave theory maths. If V2 goes BGS and copies how factions expand, that granularity would allow factions much more scope to push back aggressors.
Maybe it needs FDev to stamp their authority on it when PO 2.0 releases. "This is a powerplay controlled region. Work against the local power if you wish but expect resistance to any unfavourable actions."
Those PP pledged players who attack you are not necessarily PPers, and a significant number of them will be perfectly happy to attack you even if you are pledged to the same power as they are. I don't really play PowerPlay*, yet I'm always pledged to some random power, simply because even if the player I shoot down has crimes on, at least they won't give me notoriety if both of us are flying under the banner of some power.

(* that might change with PP2.0 if the implementation is good)
Ah, I wasn't thinking of in a direct PvP ship go boom sense. More in terms of trying to support an unfavorable faction to the local power and having players working trying to stop you by working against you in the BGS.

I tend to forget about that part TBH as I always have crimes off.

Personally I hope to see both BGS and PP2 to be even more connected, not the other way. This game is about conflicts, so the powerplay layer and BGS layer clashing together provide not just variety for gameplay, but also a reason to engage with the game.

Haha. Yes it is!
Although i would say, in my opinion PP should be an open only endeavour. I'm certain that would make more sense.

Flimley
How does this perfectly simple statement not have more likes? This is all Power Play needs to be. No more changing the nature of the galaxy from magical alternate dimensions, face your enemies if you want to defeat them. The very nature of the PP game is to choose a side and work/fight for it. If you can just pull strings from a magical protected dimension, there is no point, each person might as well have their own BGS.

Last edited:
You show very clearly WHY PP should be separated from BGS. Let's not deal with each other anymore, it's better for everybody.
Some people ask how many, or for examples.
I don't know how many. I've just been talking about this for ages and I always find people saying similar things. And it always comes down to PP standing in the way of BGS, and the other way around as well I guess.
And as for examples, just read some of the posts. Maybe it's not players being personally toxic. But the amount of times we've made a deal with a PP faction, where we have to flip a system to another faction, and players from that faction take it upon themselves to harass us because they don't even know there is a deal in the making. So then you end up with several systems being bombed in influence and kicked into war because some people are just being dumb.
-
And then what? We all get on each other's nerves? It's clear that what I said doesn't rub well with the PP crowd. So yeah... let's all petition FDEV to separate PP from BGS. And we'll all be better for it!
Huh? You made a deal with a group of players but then got annoyed that other players outside that group didn't know about the deal? And because of that you call them "dumb"?

I don't think the problem here is either PP or BGS.

How does this perfectly simple statement not have more likes? This is all Power Play needs to be. No more cowards changing the nature of the galaxy from magical alternate dimensions, face your enemies if you want to defeat them. The very nature of the PP game is to choose a side and work/fight for it. If you can just pull strings from a magical protected dimension, there is no point, each person might as well have their own BGS.
Perhaps because it includes the phrase open only which is not viewed as a positive thing by everyone.

"more things in the game need to be more optional/pointless and completely compartmentalized from anything else in the game" - said the person who hates good games or doesn't understand what one is.

so no. pp is already completely ignorable. fixing it is not going to be accomplished by doing the same thing that failed it in the past.

perhaps it would do you well to come with me to one of our reeducation centers in Utopia.

How does this perfectly simple statement not have more likes? This is all Power Play needs to be. No more changing the nature of the galaxy from magical alternate dimensions, face your enemies if you want to defeat them. The very nature of the PP game is to choose a side and work/fight for it. If you can just pull strings from a magical protected dimension, there is no point, each person might as well have their own BGS.
I suppose I could agree in principle, but... :)

What to do about pad blockers? A group could setup multiple accounts and pad block important locations stopping another power from fortifying.
How about people exploiting the SCA feature or team nav locks?
What about instancing problems and people using block lists to play in open with no opposition?
Etc, etc..

I suppose I could agree in principle, but... :)

What to do about pad blockers? A group could setup multiple accounts and pad block important locations stopping another power from fortifying.
How about people exploiting the SCA feature or team nav locks?
What about instancing problems and people using block lists to play in open with no opposition?
Etc, etc..

ask CQC how that kind of solution went when it came to pvp combat. You can talk to spirits and dead things right?

There are like 8 years of what fdev did wrong or could have done differently with powerplay. This idea of new game mechanics not interweaving with anything else is at the core of why they dont make anyone happy. It's a compromise that inhibits the best aspects of a mechanic from ever being realized.

To what end is such compromises? ensure that some idea of what the game was is retained for some other players so they dont have to adapt or change? That's dumb. it's a handicap that holds the game back from evolving and reinforces a grindy "nothing i do matters" experience that just sheds players like pet hair.

the game mechanics should all interact with eachother and impact eachother in a way that actually matters to the players doing those other things. Nothing should be ignorable or pointless that results in some sort of reward asset in the game. Optional, sure...but not in the sense that such things are in the current game. Absolutely nobody has ever complained that elite is too deep. And keeping things as-is in how game mechanics are incorporated is fine, it wont improve anything but the remaining players will continue playing until fdev has to shut things down as the population continues it's slow decline. ideally though, we'd start to see some changes in direction to try and gain some players and popularity to justify many more years of playing. New shiny one off events or even new assets will only create temporary blips in players. Not sustained gameplay.

nobody wants some side-game that doesn't matter to anyone not active in the side-game. again: see cqc.

edit: and yes, this isn't necessary suggesting the comment being replied to is in favor of the originally noted comment. in fact it provides examples opposing it. it's kinda half replying about the "agree in principle" part but mostly to the same original comment.
powerplay should not focus on pvp. nothing in elite should because it's multiplayer network stack sucks extremely hard for that kind of gameplay. Instead, pp should be thought of as just a layer on the bgs gameplay that players are playing. the drive in playing with PP is less about pvp and more about co-op against the bgs with the goal to impact other players via the bgs. and various bragging rights, of course, contributed to by the role playing aspect.

pp was supposed to be players being able to crush the favored factions of other players into non-existence and then laugh at the losers. Then do it all again with new avatars.
Instead it was just an endless loop that went no where.

Last edited:
IMO, the only way to make PvP count in PP 2.0, would be to reward killing opposing ships and/or avoiding attacking ships, so it has to be something that makes it rewarding to fly in open.

I don't see how a PvP only PP 2.0 could be possible with the current game mechanics.

if you added power collapse and power promotion - changed nothing else beyond what's needed to implement those features properly... That would be such a huge improvement to powerplay that I think you'd be able to call it PP 2.0 without a problem. Those missing pieces from PP 1.0 would be enough to create sustained gameplay and even if you still had to do stupid grindy activity to participate, it would be fun to crush the powers of other players. Force new ones to be grown from the ground up...and see who can last the longest.

edit: the main important part is that fdev would have to have no hand in that cycle process. it should be completely up to players activity and meeting a given set of requirements and rules.

Last edited:
Make PP 2.0 activities to be done in open only - does it really matter?
How many of the "dont do that" objectors are avid PP players currently, and if they are, why are they objecting?

Of course, the current PP modules need to be removed from the equation in PP 2.0, I'd guess the majority of players 'pledged' at any time, currently, are just module shopping rather than supporting a power for ever & ever...

Just like exploring, trading & mining, players are not obliged to participate in PP.

Haha. Yes it is!
Although i would say, in my opinion PP should be an open only endeavour. I'm certain that would make more sense.

Flimley
How does this perfectly simple statement not have more likes?

Because it's against the core of the game and it's not going to happen. 🤷‍♂️
But i guess it's a subject for the dedicated thread and not fit here...

I'd likely be more interested in engaging in PP if it were more integrated into the game systems, not less. To be honest, more integration across the board would be welcome, less standalone, separate elements (see core/laser mining, space/ground content, etc). It's one galaxy and everything should interact with everything else. I agree that module shopping needs to be done away with; give them to tech brokers and the like. It should be a meaningful thing to pledge to a power, and it it should be a long term decision with lasting consequences.

Top Bottom