Problem with launching game via Steam

Hi,

The issue I have is that when I launch the game via steam and chose ED:Horizons, the launcher opens up and tells me it requires an update. I carried out the manual update instructions and apparently steam isn't showing an update.

I then decided to launch directly from the install directory which worked, I then login with my verification code sent via email and I am now getting the prompt that I have to "Purchase/redeem Elite Dangerous to continue.

I bought this game a few months ago through steam when it was on-sale. I purchased the bundle with Horizons and Commander Pack. I'm not new to this game as I have played previously on xbox however this is my first time on PC and I can't seem to get passed this issue.

Any help with this would be great, thanks!

Cheers for the reply Codger.

I managed to solve the issue by logging into my frontier store account and adding my steam keys to "Product Access Key"

Rebooted my machine and the launcher lets me in fine now.

I bought the Elite Deluxe (ED:Horizons + some other junk) on that last sale and got what is called a "NO-KEY INSTALL" version of the game. There is no proper Frontier Developments product code/key number supplied with this "Steam Version" licence. I see a long purchase order number on my receipt but is is not a FD product licence code and my install is that of a pure Steam product with no way to register myself as an owner, or the product as a purchase with Frontier Developments. Without a proper licence with Frontier Developments for a Frontier Developments product there can be no data link through ED Market Connector to Inara. This Product Steam is (now) pawning off on it's customers is a toothless shadow version of the licence and is recognised as a purchase only with Steam.

Last edited:
where do you find your steam key? I have the same issue.
I bought the Elite Deluxe (ED:Horizons + some other junk) on that last sale and got what is called a "NO-KEY INSTALL" version of the game. There is no proper Frontier Developments product code/key number supplied with this "Steam Version" licence. I see a long purchase order number on my receipt but is is not a FD product licence code and my install is that of a pure Steam product with no way to register myself as an owner, or the product as a purchase with Frontier Developments. Without a proper licence with Frontier Developments for a Frontier Developments product there can be no data link through ED Market Connector to Inara. This Product Steam is (now) pawning off on it's customers is a toothless shadow version of the licence and is recognised as a purchase only with Steam.

We had a discussion about this a while back, I don't know what is going on with the Steam "no-key install", seems very strange. I hope people take it up with Frontier support as I don't see how people can link a Frontier account without a key. Here is the old thread:

For any interested in the new Steam/Elite package/licencing issue there is a pinned developers response (April 15) on Steam.

STEAM
[Right mouse] Elite Dangerous (in your game library) or find your way to:
VIEW FORUM (under the topic of Elite Dangerous)
DISCUSSIONS
PINNED: Steam Launcher Update FAQ - (01/07/2019) - by Will Flanagan

"Starting from the 15 April 2019, new Steam customers that purchase Elite Dangerous or the Elite Dangerous CMDR Deluxe Edition via Steam will experience a new account creation journey. . . . . ."

- Note that this still does not provide you any account registration with Frontier Developments.

Last edited:
For any interested in the new Steam/Elite package/licencing issue there is a pinned developers response (April 15) on Steam.
- Note that this still does not provide you any account registration with Frontier Developments.

That should be pinned in these fora too, hopeless communication from F D as usual, thanks for finding it.

re the Frontier Account issue, that post says:

"How do I create an account?

When you launch the game through Steam, you will have the option to create a new Frontier account via the launcher. Selecting this option will redirect you to a 'Create an Account’ form where you will be prompted to enter your credentials and create your account.

After doing so and submitting your information, you’ll be sent a confirmation email to the email address that you entered previously. Clicking the link within this email will activate your account and redirect you back to the launcher. From there, the launcher should refresh, and you should be able to log in and play!"

N.B. The Frontier Support site shows the process:

So didn't / doesn't that work?

Last edited:
However, I still have no link to Frontier Developments that permits the use of MD:MC (Elite Dangerous Market Connector). This (phantom) gaming licence process makes the game playable, but still lacks the authorization protocol for third party data linking through API codes. FD is simply is not providing support for these accounts.There are other methods for transferring your log files but it really complicates things.

However, I still have no link to Frontier Developments that permits the use of MD:MC (Elite Dangerous Market Connector). This (phantom) gaming licence process makes the game playable, but still lacks the authorization protocol for third party data linking through API codes. FD is simply is not providing support for these accounts.There are other methods for transferring your log files but it really complicates things.

I don't understand, forgive me if I am missing something. If you have a Frontier account, which you have to do via the system I referenced above, then that account data is what you use for authorising apps to use the API for your data isn't it? I understand there is a method by which you don't pass on your account login data now but isn't the process similar? (I stopped using EDMC a very long time ago.)

BTW I use EDDiscovery, that works using your local journals etc so no need for it to access your details from Frontier - it updates EDDB, EDSM etc too.

Have you tried linking ED:MC (with one of these umbrella licensed Steam purchases) through to your pilot account?
Remember we are talking about these newer "No Key Install" Steam purchases. And I have gone through all this with FD, Artie (of Inara) and Steam pages.
You have a licence with Steam, not Frontier Developments. As such Frontier Developments does not recognise your copy as a purchase.
A proper purchase from Frontier Developments will issue a 25 character product licence code to you. Example - xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
Without this FD product licence code registering your product, any data app that tries to use an API code to link to your commander will fail.
I realize there are other apps and workarounds but I personally don't like not getting what was presented as a real licenced version. Or one that will not launch without Steam running the launcher. Steam is handling this special licence like it was any other dull stand-alone first person shooter game needing no outside support.
Steam has had these sales before so customers have expectations. But this time? I know it's only 15 bucks and I certainly have gotten my money's worth in complaining alone so I don't really have much argument any more. Just buy Elite from FD in the future. Or go with a console the way Microsoft is going lately.
Sincerely, -Grumpy Old Man-.

Last edited:
yep the support team fix that for me i'm good now thanks for all the advice

and next time i'm gonna buy directly from steam :D

Top Bottom